The Switch banning situation

error-code.jpg

Those that decide to hack their systems know that there's always the chance of either bricking, or banning. Many of those that installed CFW or installed unauthorized software onto their Nintendo 3DS systems faced an online ban, back in 2017. With exploits and modchips becoming the talk of the town, and the Switch scene progress in general, there's the growing question of "what about bans?".

It began with known Switch hacker Shiny Quagsire finding out that their Switch had been banned. That alone is shocking, but not only was one of their systems banned, but two. They received error code 2124-4007 on their alleged non-hacked Nintendo Switch.

The screen suggests users to contact Nintendo Support with the error code, which the user in question did. Below, are two alleged chat sessions regarding the error code.

DdwZn8mVQAIUzR9.jpg DdwYnApVAAA3-kb.jpg
One of the responses was that the ban would not be lifted, and that the End User License Agreement had been broken. This error code prevents those from accessing the eShop, online gaming, or the friend list and social aspects. Updating or patching one's game still functions, however.

ShinyQuagsire then attempted to play Splatoon 2, and successfully voted for a team during the Splatfest, but trying to play a match brought back the same error code once more, stating that online features were restricted by Nintendo. It was then revealed that the "unhacked" Switch had once run the Homebrew Launcher, as well as PegaSwitch, the latter of which is an exploit toolkit that can write custom code to the system.

Later, another Switch hacker, SciresM also spoke up about his own console getting banned. CDN was cited as a potential cause, though ShinyQuagsire wasn't so sure, as the last time they'd done anything regarding that was months ago, meaning Nintendo could have retroactively banned them, or is only going after them now.

CDN, "Content Distribution Network", as described by Nintendo themselves is

Nintendo said:
Content delivery network providers enable faster video streaming and support the delivery of content you have requested, e.g. when using Nintendo eShop, by using a system of distributed servers that deliver the content to you, based on your geographic location. We may therefore share your information (including your IP address) with our third party content delivery network providers that provide content delivery network services in connection with Nintendo Account Services, Nintendo Network and the official Nintendo website, some of which may act as third-party data processors only

CDN downloaders had been used to download content directly to a computer from Nintendo services, and currently, this is what is considered to have most likely caused the bans at this time. Shiny Quagsire also knows another user who had a Switch banned, which never used the Homebrew Launcher, but did access and mess with the CDN. At this time, only Switch hackers appear to have been affected, not the average user. If more information becomes available, this post will be updated to include such.

Powerful

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slightly confused here, I was planning on hacking my switch that I just got. My 3ds and wii/wii u are already hacked, so I am not new to the game. Are they banning like they do the 3ds like you can unban, or do I need to wait until we know more? I am not planning on getting banned, and I can’t tell if hacking is leading to bans. I would be running HBL, CFW, and in the future coldboot.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Slightly confused here, I was planning on hacking my switch that I just got. My 3ds and wii/wii u are already hacked, so I am not new to the game. Are they banning like they do the 3ds like you can unban, or do I need to wait until we know more? I am not planning on getting banned, and I can’t tell if hacking is leading to bans. I would be running HBL, CFW, and in the future coldboot.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-switch-banning-situation.504995/page-6#post-7999279

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm also surprised the switch hackers don't monitor the network traffic to see if they can find out how Nintendo is detecting the bans through the outgoing metadata.
Would that even work?
Nintendo may not have traditionally had the best security but surely even they are not incompetent enough to neglect to simply send a flag several megs into a SSL session.

Powerful

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s obvious there’s a risk, I knew that. I am literally trying to pin point what exactly is causing it, and if others out there only running homebrew have been banned. For example I hacked my Wii U and nothing happen as long as you didn’t cheat online. The 3ds however seemed to be banned if you hacked online, or if you were sharing all your data and logs online. Turning them off seemed to not lead to more bans. This is why I am asking on the state of bans right now. If I know how to hack these consoles, I know that there is a risk. I am again trying to see if the community can find a source to the bans.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am again trying to see if the community can find a source to the bans.
That technique ceased to be all that effective/useful some years ago, and probably won't be any use here as things are still happening behind closed doors and thus we don't know the extent of the changes and have no complete model of the kernel/then current kernel and its services.

In a mass banning it can help narrow some things down, but at the same time there are many things that can be done to throw that. A few incomplete datapoints from people with an interest in keeping their hacks private is not going to do it.

Reactions: linuxares

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paying for online is going to suck, you the community need to fight against it.
Imagine paying for online, running a few emulators and getting banned, that would be an injustice. Nintendos online is free, let's keep it that way

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Paying for online is going to suck, you the community need to fight against it.
Imagine paying for online, running a few emulators and getting banned, that would be an injustice. Nintendos online is free, let's keep it that way
You really can't because Nintentdo wants to charge for it. I actually never found the 3DS and Wii U online to be terribly slow if you have a decent connection. I've had more issues with speeds on PS4 online than I have with Wii U and 3DS wi-fi.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am all for not paying for online, much less poorly implemented online (and given what we have seen thus far...).

I can't get to it being an injustice though, not even close. Break the terms of service and expect to get pinged. I will happily support the efforts of those looking to make stealth custom firmwares and the like but in the end online is something you sacrifice if you are going to roll with hacks, anything you do manage to get is a bonus.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
how long until Switchwwmfi or whatever it is called?
Short version. Nobody knows.

I generally find it goes a bit quicker when various other factors are in play.

Start with.
Does it have local network multiplayer? Is said multiplayer ping limited so it can't be stuffed over a VPN or something? If both of those are favourable you tend to get something fast, mainly as it is just a VPN client. The original xbox did not have ping limits but the 360 did, though ones that could be defeated by the JTAG/RGH family of mods (and I think it was just for the host as well). LAN play kind of went the way of the dodo though, though with the switch nominally being a handheld I could expect something.
Is it a paid service? Free is good and dodging the need for payment is some incentive to do it.
Are there games worth playing on it? Not so many seem to be here for the switch but at the same time just one mega popular game can be all the push people need to reverse it for that, and then that can be adapted for all.
How complicated are the services? You get exceptions like WoW private servers but World of Warcraft was/is kind of a SQL layer (a common database format and protocol) if memory serves so that was easier than fully custom from the ground up. The DS and Wii stuff was, or at least could be boiled down to, a simple handshake+ auto lobby and multicast server rather than something more custom. By similar token if self hosted servers are a thing then that also plays into this (consoles, especially Nintendo ones, rarely feature this though), it need not necessarily be for the console in question either if a PC version exists or something like that.
How complicated is it to get a simple hacked system on the stock online? If it is harder there then there is more incentive to do things so people can still do something like online play. Early signs are Nintendo is actually doing something resembling security this time so it could be harder. If they really go in for it and embed loads of checks, radically rework the resulting binary code, split things between regions and maybe models/serials and then update it all and properly enforce latest versions every few weeks then that gets very hard for a hacked system trying to be online and is not all that much effort on their part. Harder for that means more effort into creating viable third party alternatives.
How complicated is hacking the system enough to do this sort of thing in general? With the current mod set then seemingly trivial, compared to something like the JTAG and RGH family on the 360 which were not what you might call trivial and thus limited the pool tremendously, so there is that.
How well understood is the system? If you still have to feel out all the services and document things then having to do that first . As it stands the switch is pretty far from some kind of documentation akin to http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm and with the added bonus of being a modern system with a lot more going on than some previous efforts.
Is the online aspect of the system facing closure? Presumably not yet but in other cases it helps things get pushed along.

If you can stuff something over a VPN then obviously right away, maybe day 3 if there needs to be a packet capture and repeater thing going on as well. Day 14 for the better guides that don't then give the confirmed hacker inclined types the run of your LAN as well.
After that then all bets are off.

Reactions: Darksabre72

donut32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
It is interesting seeing Nintendo vs the people with this. With coding/programming becoming a more relevant and important profession more and more are becoming so literate in IT that they can do what the big corps do - Pull apart their work and find ways to exploit it and make it free / easier for the community to access. The big gaming companies need to find a new model. Same as the banks and “FinTech”.

D

Deleted User

If I got banned on a switch i honestly wouldn't care,since the switch has payed online anyway,which I'll never pay for to even use online to begin with.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Don Jon

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me put this simple for everyone.

IF you use HOMEBREW of any kind. You are ALWAYS at risk. The console as soon as you launch any HOMEBREW, it's broken the ToS and is facing a ban risk.
IF you wanna stay SAFE. NEVER EVER use any HOMEBREW. Use it as intended, pay for your games, pay for your online and enjoy it. RIsk of getting banned then is next to null.

Stop asking for "If I do this, will I be safe?" The answer is No, you are never safe!
Fake news. Youre just a schill for Nintendo.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Those that decide to hack their systems know that there's always the chance of either bricking, or banning. Many of those that installed CFW or installed unauthorized software onto their Nintendo 3DS systems faced an online ban, back in 2017. With exploits and modchips becoming the talk of the town, and the Switch scene progress in general, there's the growing question of "what about bans?".

It began with known Switch hacker Shiny Quagsire finding out that their Switch had been banned. That alone is shocking, but not only was one of their systems banned, but two. They received error code 2124-4007 on their alleged non-hacked Nintendo Switch.

The screen suggests users to contact Nintendo Support with the error code, which the user in question did. Below, are two alleged chat sessions regarding the error code.

One of the responses was that the ban would not be lifted, and that the End User License Agreement had been broken. This error code prevents those from accessing the eShop, online gaming, or the friend list and social aspects. Updating or patching one's game still functions, however.

ShinyQuagsire then attempted to play Splatoon 2, and successfully voted for a team during the Splatfest, but trying to play a match brought back the same error code once more, stating that online features were restricted by Nintendo. It was then revealed that the "unhacked" Switch had once run the Homebrew Launcher, as well as PegaSwitch, the latter of which is an exploit toolkit that can write custom code to the system.

Later, another Switch hacker, SciresM also spoke up about his own console getting banned. CDN was cited as a potential cause, though ShinyQuagsire wasn't so sure, as the last time they'd done anything regarding that was months ago, meaning Nintendo could have retroactively banned them, or is only going after them now.

CDN, "Content Distribution Network", as described by Nintendo themselves is

CDN downloaders had been used to download content directly to a computer from Nintendo services, and currently, this is what is considered to have most likely caused the bans at this time. Shiny Quagsire also knows another user who had a Switch banned, which never used the Homebrew Launcher, but did access and mess with the CDN. At this time, only Switch hackers appear to have been affected, not the average user. If more information becomes available, this post will be updated to include such.
By "MANY" do you mean only 3?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, quagsire said his other system was banned, not because of homebrew but because it was used with the main account that was first banned. So fix OP and stop mispreding false narritives that only serve to cause panic.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Fake news. Youre just a schill for Nintendo.
Not necessarily. Homebrew and hacking have always had risks associated with them, no matter how minor or major. That's why you see so many splash screens warning you that the devs are not responsible for anything done to your console using their software/exploits, with many requiring you to press a button as confirmation that you understand the risk.

Certainly not something to accuse someone of something over.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I hate rational logic too. :glare:

Maybe you should learn to read. I said many that had a 3DS were banned. So please go ahead and fix YOUR false statement.
My fault i didnt know shiny quagsire was a team, i thoghht he was only one person. Thats wat threw me off. Seeing as you refer to Quagsire as" they"

Last edited by Don Jon,

RingGenie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering if this online ban will block you from accessing the server for games like Super Mario Maker if that ever comes out on Switch. Since ShinyQuagsire was able to vote in Splatfest I'd assume not, and that maybe the ban only blocks you from playing with other people. I've no intention to ever pay for the online service, but being blocked from being able to upload and play levels in Mario Maker would be a deal breaker.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering if this online ban will block you from accessing the server for games like Super Mario Maker if that ever comes out on Switch. Since ShinyQuagsire was able to vote in Splatfest I'd assume not, and that maybe the ban only blocks you from playing with other people. I've no intention to ever pay for the online service, but being blocked from being able to upload and play levels in Mario Maker would be a deal breaker.
Yes probably, but there might be a way to manually add levels (no guarantee).

aaronz77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Interesting how Nintendo didn't give two shits about Wii/Wii u hacking. But they're all over the switch scene. Out with the ban hammer awfully early this round.

Reactions: Powerful

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1