Hacking The ultimate list of mods to enter RCM

TerryG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually had an idea of using just the rail of the joycon and putting it into a joycon strap for an "OEM" jig. If you don't mind to report back with your results that would be AWESOME

I did that myself a few months ago, works and looks great.

20180528_125805.jpg 20180528_005021.jpg 20180528_004956.jpg

Ragenrok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because you can easily replace the rail. By modding the joycon as you did, you need to replace the entire joycon itself.
OK, but pressing the button doesn't cause the joycon to break? I can enter RCM mode 37 times and neither my switch rail or joycon will degrade due to it. I'm pretty sure using a jig 37 times is going to cause damage to my switch. Again I find it a silly argument that a modification for a $50 cad (that's the price for an individual joycon) part that didn't break anything is somehow worse than another method that can/will degrade my $400 switch causing me to need to replace parts.

At this point if the joycon fails it will not be due to my mod and the joycon would need to be replaced anyways. If I had broken the joycon doing this you would be right but now that its survived my mod will cost less in repairs than a jig in the long run.

I also don't see anyone getting flak for the reed switch mod, because its all internal I'm assuming? I'll take 1 hole over needing extra small parts (the magnet) that can easily be lost.

Not trying to start a silly argument but I honestly fail to see how what your saying makes sense.

Last edited by Ragenrok,
Reactions: TerryG

decal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a spare joy con rail to use as a jig. My question is, is a resistor necessary or will a regular wire be fine when soldering pins 1 &10?

I'm seeing some jigs with resistors and others using regular wires so I wasn't sure if using a resistor had any advantage. I'm getting it this week so any advice would be appreciated.

hax4dayz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why did the tinfoil method get removed? I am using it and it works really well. Just had to replace the tinfoil a few times due to malfunctioning.

Katcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3 hours of fucking about trying to do the cable jumper before saying "Fuck it trying foil again and just fucking jamming it in there" I finally get into RCM and deliver the payload.

IMG_20181017_212518.jpg

hax4dayz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
3 hours of fucking about trying to do the cable jumper before saying "Fuck it trying foil again and just fucking jamming it in there" I finally get into RCM and deliver the payload.
Yeah i know the feeling of getting the jumper cables to work. I did this with a paperclip and it didnt work like at all, so i switched to tinfoil and it's working like every time.

Masterface7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• IMG_20181213_224411841.jpg
    IMG_20181213_224411841.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 523
Last edited by Masterface7,

TerryG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My god this looks amazing.

Thank you.

did you just cut and sand the rail to be flat then glue it to the joy con strap? i.ve just been using a rail with a piece of electrical tape covering the wire, i dont have any extra joycon straps though.

I cut the ribbon cable off, trimmed the hell out of the rail with a pair of side cutters, then took a gutted strap and glued it on.

Reactions: eskinner3742

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why did the tinfoil method get removed? I am using it and it works really well. Just had to replace the tinfoil a few times due to malfunctioning.

Tinfoil has potential to get lodged into the switch causing a bad time. Pliers screwdrivers and the like also can be harmful if you end up breaking the pins in your switch. Paperclips and hard metal jigs can wear on your switch pins over extended use.

It just boils down to safety paranoia. It's your switch, do what you want. Modders should expect risk of damage and take precautions to be extra safe so you don't have a broken switch, just be careful.

Natural

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RODIFIRE

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
hello I try to find if I can do it to my switch but I get little lost
(I remember I had lower firmaware and never use internet to my switch maybe from game he do update with out want it? I dont know)

anyway

I have a switch and current system verison is : 8.0.1
can I do something to it?
if someone can help me :)

thanks for your time

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/9seCZUSS8zE?si=xMNkLYWrWl6kDH44