• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The United States has now promised, or given, more than $113 billion to Ukraine. Why won't the rest of the UN step up to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Help your own citizens first imo. If your government can’t take care of their own people why spend money on someone else’s
That's precisely the problem, we have the resources to help our own people but one party only ever wants to waste them on making the rich richer. Give Republicans the option between defending democracy abroad and implementing universal healthcare/stronger social safety nets, and they'll choose neither. That's why their bitching about spending on Ukraine rings hollow: they don't actually care about the money, they just love fascist dictators.

Reactions: KingVamp

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering. America has given Ukraine more money, weapons, ammunition and humanitarian aid than all other nations in the world, combined, and then some.

Why isn't the UN willing to help more than it has? Why are other nations refusing to contribute to a war that everyone says is so critical for the security of not just that region, but the world, at large?

Thoughts?
If US is not fueling the war it would have stop a long time ago. What is good for the world perhaps isn't good for certain powerful people in the US. US love proxy war and has a habit of fueling it to the detriment of the world.

US also do direct invasion (for example Irac) and leave the place it invade a problem for the rest of the world.

Last edited by TomSwitch,
Reactions: tabzer

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We agree. This doesn't mean that America has to foot the bill. Not our pig, not our farm. Zelenskyy just left after yet another bout of begging, and is walking away again with hundreds of millions of dollars. Again. If I sound like I am over it, it's because I am. I really wish HE would pick up one of the millions of guns we gave him for free, strap on his boots, and go fight and win his own war. I'll contribute to his GoFundMe personally, if he does that.

No good sergeant ever commands a private to do what he wouldn't do, himself. Ukraine is conscripting all men from ages 18-45, compulsory service. It's like the New York Draft Riots. Ukrainians are bribing their way out of participating in this war, as we speak. If you have about five thousand dollars, you can buy your way out. Zelenskyy wants your money or your life.

Zelenskyy has yet to fire a single round in defense of his own country. He sure can beg and threaten, though.
Dude it's just a great excuse to put Russia into the ground for fucking bargain bin prices. Russia has been poking the bear for years and we finally have a way to stop their shit for cheap, why wouldn't we?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If US is not fueling the war it would have stop a long time ago.
Correction: Russia would've moved on to invading another formerly Soviet nation a long time ago. Anybody who trusts Putin to do the right thing in any circumstance is a fucking moron, that's really all there is to it. He is completely devoid of morals or ethics, to the extent that Russia has targeted primarily civilians throughout this entire conflict. You can be pro-imperialism or pro-freedom, not both.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correction: Russia would've moved on to invading another formerly Soviet nation a long time ago. Anybody who trusts Putin to do the right thing in any circumstance is a fucking moron, that's really all there is to it. He is completely devoid of morals or ethics, to the extent that Russia has targeted primarily civilians throughout this entire conflict. You can be pro-imperialism or pro-freedom, not both.
There are many way to handle Russia, fueling the war like it did isn't the only option.

For example of a wild idea: Annex the rest of Ukraine, make it non voting like Puerto Rico, negotiate peace with Russia. Do a sham referendum with the Ukraine people if it fits the narrative.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There are many way to handle Russia, fueling the war like it did isn't the only option.
Putin invaded Ukraine, he and he alone made that choice. There is no excuse for attempting to deflect blame away from him, Republicans in Congress only do that because he's paying them to.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude it's just a great excuse to put Russia into the ground for fucking bargain bin prices. Russia has been poking the bear for years and we finally have a way to stop their shit for cheap, why wouldn't we?
I kind of hate how much I instantly agreed with everything you just said. From wording to tone to timbre. Fuck.

You win. I have zero argument.

I don't think the nation to bring Russia to its knees is going to be Ukraine, though, no matter how much money we throw their way.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't really blame Europe for not trusting the Biden administration much as it may be Trump in power come 2024.

There is a good possibility that the war will quickly end if Trump wins. Better keep some money so when Trump demand it there is some budget available? It won't be free.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the nation to bring Russia to its knees is going to be Ukraine, though, no matter how much money we throw their way.
They already have brought Russia to its knees, Putin sold out the nation's future on this stupid gambit. Their economy is shot for the next couple decades at least, all the young/smart Russians have fled the country to avoid the draft, and their military has been exposed as a paper tiger. Best of all, Ukraine has already recaptured around 85% of their country and continue to advance all the way into Crimea. It won't be long before Russia is facing another revolution.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of hate how much I instantly agreed with everything you just said. From wording to tone to timbre. Fuck.

You win. I have zero argument.

Like US bring Irac to it's knees and make the world a better place?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's precisely the problem, we have the resources to help our own people but one party only ever wants to waste them on making the rich richer. Give Republicans the option between defending democracy abroad and implementing universal healthcare/stronger social safety nets, and they'll choose neither. That's why their bitching about spending on Ukraine rings hollow: they don't actually care about the money, they just love fascist dictators.
Right. Like these guys wouldn't make up a bunch of excuses on why they don't vote for, for example, universal healthcare candidates or why they keep voting for people that literally make promises to take even more things from people.

Reactions: Xzi

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was fucked up too, and it's telling that many of the people who supported the US' imperialism then are the same ones supporting Russia's imperialism now.
De stabilizing Russia could possibly be end of the world.

To argue that Russia could expand further is a very hard sell. Only US's imperialism is possible if the next president is a young and smart one like maybe Vivek. He is going to make everyone work 18 hours a day for him.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
De stabilizing Russia could possibly be end of the world.
Putin already destabilized it, and the world hasn't ended. Worst case scenario, China buys out the entire country for pennies. Best case scenario, the Russian people start thinking for themselves and reject dictatorships and authoritarianism.

To argue that Russia could expand further is a very hard sell.
Now that Ukraine has decimated their military, sure. They aren't gonna invade Russia after they take their country back.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple. Because with less than 10% of the US Military yearly Budget . We were able to CRIPPLE the worlds "2nd" army. with what everyone thought was a 3rd rate army with Americas old and 2nd hand toys...

the funny thing is if you were told the US can destroy Chinese army with 10% of a year budget and have "no" US service members death... most "Americans" would call it a no brainer....

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Putin already destabilized it, and the world hasn't ended. Worst case scenario, China buys out the entire country for pennies. Best case scenario, the Russian people start thinking for themselves and reject dictatorships and authoritarianism.

Now that Ukraine has decimated their military, sure. They aren't gonna invade Russia after they take their country back.
Destabilizing Irac gives you ISIS with no nuclear weapon. What if ISIS have it? What would happen to Russia's nuclear weapon?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Destabilizing Irac gives you ISIS with no nuclear weapon. What if ISIS have it? What would happen to Russia's nuclear weapon?
If China takes ownership, they already have nukes so who cares. If Russia falls under new management, let's hope they're more respectful toward the concept of mutually-assured destruction than Putin has shown himself to be.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If China takes ownership, they already have nukes so who cares. If Russia falls under new management, let's hope they're more respectful toward the concept of mutually-assured destruction than Putin has shown himself to be.
Who took over Irac?

A peaceful merger of Russia and China? Which multiverse you came from? How is that better for USA? Maybe it is better for the world ( I leave that possibility open ) but for USA it surely is a nightmare. I think very few in the west would support your idea of a merger.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
A peaceful merger of Russia and China? Which multiverse you came from? How is that better for USA? Maybe it is better for the world ( I leave that possibility open ) but for USA it surely is a nightmare. I think very few in the west would support you idea of a merger.
For at least the third time let me repeat: the US was never given a choice in the matter. Putin threw away his own country's future over nothing, and the US isn't about to go bail them out after their war crimes. So that leaves China, who Russia considers an ally, to fund their recovery, or it leaves Russians to wake the fuck up and take their country back from the corrupt old men at the Kremlin.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Help your own citizens first imo. If your government can’t take care of their own people why spend money on someone else’s
Because is more profitable. War is a business and it produces a huge profit, while taking care of their own citizens doesn't.

For at least the third time let me repeat: the US was never given a choice in the matter. Putin threw away his own country's future over nothing, and the US isn't about to go bail them out after their war crimes. So that leaves China, who Russia considers an ally, to fund their recovery, or it leaves Russians to wake the fuck up and take their country back from the corrupt old men at the Kremlin.
What about US war crimes? They attacked Iraq over unexistant massive destruction weapons more than 20 years ago and they found nothing. They were after the oil ofc!

Where were the UN at those times? Lying on their hammocks by the sea enjoying self given vacations.

And that's just one of a huge quantity of foreign war crimes and a small example of their hipocritic foreign affairs disguised as democracy.

I'm going to mention a local (on the US) event that was planned, and effected by the US government itself that was -again- disguised as terrorism: 11S. Even many locals have many doubts of the veracity of those events.

And many innocents were cowardly killed in the name of democracy and war against terrorism.

Last edited by CMDreamer,
Reactions: tabzer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM