Gaming The use of kinect in games...

What are your feelings on the mandatory kinect?

• I'm very glad it's there. This way, developers know they can do all sorts of funky stuff with it

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I'm okay with it. I would have bought the thing if it wasn't in the package anyhow.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If it was optional, I wouldn't have bought it. But it's there, so I'll get used to it

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Remove it from the package and lower the console price accordingly, damnit

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I'll wrap it in a soundproof tinfoil hat in case it may steal my thoughts!

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So the one will have kinect 2.0 to go with it as part of the deal. It'll ship with all the consoles.

That's nice...I suppose. Except that just about all the times I heard it mentioned by non-microsoft employees, it was at best neutral. The majority had concerns that kinect + always online + microsoft's involvement with prism = 1984.

What I'm wondering about, however, is: where are the games that make use of it? When the wii was released, you were pretty much literally bitchslapped with games that made use of the motion controls in this or that way. Same when the original kinect and move were released. Yes: they were either casual or badly received, but they were there.

Now this new kinect is supposedly better. But all the "demonstrations"* of the thing were about using the interface. And most of them about voice commands (I read somewhere that it loads your profile when it recognizes you...haven't seen it in action, though).

However, I cannot even recall a single reference on E3 that movement commands were used. In any game. Whatsoever. And without backward compatibility...this begs the question:

Why the hell is kinect mandatory on the thing to begin with? :unsure:

Microsoft claims they're listening to complaints. And admittedly, they've removed the most important one. But perhaps I'm reading things wrong (I don't have a 360), but I would swear the kinect on 360 isn't the most popular gizmo ever (I certainly wasn't sold the time I played with it...and as a wii-gamer, I was even used to making spastic movements in games). So hence this question out of curiosity:

How do you feel about the kinect being part of your console, even though it has no gaems for it?

*I heard suggestions that the one on the unveiling was supposedly controlled by the voice of the announcer. Feel free to believe that if you want to...

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why the hell is kinect mandatory on the thing to begin with? :unsure:

Cuz Kinect sold shitloads of units and software.

Saying that Kinect has pretty much put me off the Xbone (That and Naughty God). I gaem in my room and my room is too small to use it. The only other room in the house is the living room. Yet there are two problems there, firstly we have an SD TV there and secondly, that room is used by my parents and I doubt they would appreciate me gaeming there. Kinect would be utterly worthless for me and I don't fancy paying £80 for a device I can't even use.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you answered your own question. Maybe not all games will use it (although, Xbox Live voice chat? Lots of games use that.), but at least at the start it will make navigating the menu awesome. Just saying "Xbox Netflix" is better than, from the middle of a game, returning to the home screen, navigating to the apps tab, and then digging through your list of apps to find it. You could do this with a headset as well, admittedly, but most times when I want to watch Netflix or do a web search on my TV I don't want to have to grab my controller and headset. And speaking of search... or writing messages to people... holy shit.

Also, having it be mandatory will encourage devs to make their games support it. Don't lie to me and say you wouldn't get a level of satisfaction by being able to flip people off in Call of Duty by giving the finger to Kinect? Or shout in Skyrim by actually saying the shout.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's a whole lot of good things the Kinect can be used for in gaming as long as it's used as an addition to the standard controller rather than the controller proper (unless it's a dance or whatever Fitness game) - all it takes is a little bit of imagination.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    hmmm 360 even lol
    Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That is cheap, I used to pay $100 for a tine.
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ativan is pretty legit
    +1
    The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty OK to be honest.
    Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol