TheFlow is teasing a possible exploit for the PlayStation 4, recommends users to stay on OFW 6.20

ps4.jpg

After cracking the PlayStation Vita wide open, and providing a litany of useful homebrew tools, it appears that TheFlow is looking to move onwards and upwards to the next Sony system: the PlayStation 4. As those in the PS4 scene are likely aware, there is a current webkit exploit for consoles on firmware 6.20, thanks to SpecterDev. According to a post made by TheFlow on Twitter, it appears that he has an exploit in the works for OFW 6.20 as well. Those interested in homebrew are being told to stay on that system version, with a vague comment of, "Also don't update past FW 6.20 if you want a kxploit". What makes this tease even more notable though, is the fact that it isn't just a webkit exploit--the term "kxploit" was specifically mentioned. While a webkit exploit is useful, a kernel exploit would allow modders to do more with a theoretical softmod, and would be the first possible kexploit available since OFW 5.05/5.07. There is very limited information as of just yet, but with a track record like TheFlow's, it'd be wise to stay on 6.20 if you're on it. As of December 2019, the latest PlayStation 4 system software version is 7.02.

UPDATE: Well, it appears he didn't actually have a vulnerability in mind when he made his first Tweet above, but after receiving a PlayStation 4 from a fellow hacker, TheFlow has confirmed he indeed does have a vulnerability for OFW 6.20.

:arrow: Source

supershadow64ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally lit, though chances are I'm already up to date if people are saying there are already firmwares past 6.20...

Had to update to download my JoJo game. I'm not ashamed.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there any actual benefit to cfw on ps4 besides the obvious?

I never mod the latest gen systems, and I can pick up used games for cheap (ps4 stuff drops like a rock quick), and I play online..

but just curious

I always do fw updates on my ps4 pro too bc I play a handful of games online

--

in the case of vita, the PSP dash and using an SD card for all my PSN shop games and converting physical to digital is coo, ds3/ds4 compatibilityl but

the flow is a god tho

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
is there any actual benefit to cfw on ps4 besides the obvious?

I never mod the latest gen systems, and I can pick up used games for cheap (ps4 stuff drops like a rock quick), and I play online..

but just curious

I always do fw updates on my ps4 pro too bc I play a handful of games online

--

in the case of vita, the PSP dash and using an SD card for all my PSN shop games and converting physical to digital is coo, ds3/ds4 compatibilityl but

the flow is a god tho
You can run Linux, play PS2 games not on the official PSN store, and Retroach was ported to the PS4 as well.

If none of those interest you, though, you probably don't need to bother.

Reactions: playstays_shun

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can run Linux, play PS2 games not on the official PSN store, and Retroach was ported to the PS4 as well.

If none of those interest you, though, you probably don't need to bother.

The Ps2 part is interesting... is it good emulation?

I have two PS2's and a ps3 (though the slim 160gb) so probably already set. Even my ps3 is unmodded bc I wanted it to load up PSP games that can only be transferred from it and not available from PSN store on vita directly.. and I play old COD's on them every once in a while all with the same account. Not worth the risk for me to get all my Sony crap banned

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Ps2 part is interesting... is it good emulation?

I have two PS2's and a ps3 (though the slim 160gb) so probably already set. Even my ps3 is unmodded bc I wanted it to load up PSP games that can only be transferred from it and not available from PSN store on vita directly.. and I play old COD's on them every once in a while all with the same account. Not worth the risk for me to get all my Sony crap banned
Not all ps2 game work well or be compatible. Xenosaga 1-2-3 are very buggy but still playable at some degree. However you will have the ability to merge Codebreaker cheats into ps2 games as well. You cant get banned b/c you wont be able to connect on PSN since your FW is too low for access.

Reactions: playstays_shun

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all ps2 game work well or be compatible. Xenosaga 1-2-3 are very buggy but still playable at some degree. However you will have the ability to merge Codebreaker cheats into ps2 games as well. You cant get banned b/c you wont be able to connect on PSN since your FW is too low for access.

so buying two PS4's... for that?

I'm all about mods on principle, maximizing utility out of your hardware, and in case of Vita, fixing fundamentally broken things with the platform but here it seems unneeded

still, more power to people that do this or don't bother with online in the first place

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He needs to come work on the patches switch units so we have a third exploit option. I think now I might get a ps4 as well

D

Deleted User

so buying two PS4's... for that?

I'm all about mods on principle, maximizing utility out of your hardware, and in case of Vita, fixing fundamentally broken things with the platform but here it seems unneeded

still, more power to people that do this or don't bother with online in the first place

um my ps4 pro looking at you like huh?

D

Deleted User

so just pirating?

that doesn't interest me unfortunately.

PS4 games get cheap quick too, and I only have so much time in the day never mind whats allocated for games

there are many uses i have stated earlier in thread. Just a basic one would be linux. Look if you don’t want a jailbroken ps4...why are you here?

Just trolling?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so just pirating?

that doesn't interest me unfortunately.

PS4 games get cheap quick too, and I only have so much time in the day never mind whats allocated for games
Theres plenty of alternatives for homebrew RetroArch is literally everywhere, getting a JB ps4 solely for that isn't worth it imo. Heck you can even backup your save files and edit them with Save Wizard which doesn't require a hacked ps4 it just costs $60. Also ps2 games have better support on the PCSX2 emulator if you have a decent PC. But yeah pirating is what most ppl do behind closed doors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: