Tiramisu: Can I copy all data from my SD card to a new SD card to hack a second Wii U?

Trick457a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi-

I have successfully hacked a Wii U and want to hack a second Wii U. Can I simply copy all the data from my first Wii U's SD card onto a new card and begin the process again? Or is data added to the SD card through the hacking process that would give me an error or problems with the second Wii U? I have deleted the nand dump files from the SD card by the way.

Thank you!

tiger1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Ive modded 2 of my wii u .by tirumasu method ...ive interchanged the sd card into second modded wii u since first sd card of 128 gb contains retroarch image ...and the same sd card works fine on both consoles since I modded both by tirumasu method with same files available for wii u sd card....you can carry on by this but those files needed for modding are hardly few hundred mb any low capacity sd card will also gonna be fine . you can also copy files of this sd card to another and boot your wii u with second sd card

And as you said you deleted some files from sd card then to avoid the mess you should start fresh

And an advice..never delete the nand dump and also make sure to copy the entire files of sd card somewhere in pc as well since without it wii u won't boot

Last edited by tiger1234,

Trick457a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive nodded 2 of my wii u .by tirumasu method ...ive interchanged the sd card into second nodded wii u since first sd card of 128 gb contains retroarch image ...and the same sd card works fine on both consoles since I nodded both by tirumasu method with same files available for wii u sd card....you can carry on by this but those files needed for modding are hardly few hundred mb any low capacity sd card will also gonna be fine . you can also copy files of this sd card to another and boot your wii u with second sd card

And as you said you deleted some files from sd card then to avoid the mess you should start fresh

And an advice..never delete the nand dump and also make sure to copy the entire files of sd card somewhere in pc as well since without it wii u won't
Thank you, yes I've made several backups of the nand files before deleting, and those are the only files I deleted from the card. I basically want to make a duplicate of my first modded Wii U and yes, essentially want to know if sd cards can be interchanged. Looking back on my first mod, I'm not sure I backed up my setup files properly along the way, so just duplicating the card I currently have would be easiest, I just didn't know if stuff gets added to the sd card during this process which would screw up my second mod once I started.

The whole recent issue with the nand is the reason I want to make a second Wii U in the first place, so I definitely didn't delete those files! :)

Thank you again!!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, yes I've made several backups of the nand files before deleting, and those are the only files I deleted from the card. I basically want to make a duplicate of my first modded Wii U and yes, essentially want to know if sd cards can be interchanged. Looking back on my first mod, I'm not sure I backed up my setup files properly along the way, so just duplicating the card I currently have would be easiest, I just didn't know if stuff gets added to the sd card during this process which would screw up my second mod once I started.

The whole recent issue with the nand is the reason I want to make a second Wii U in the first place, so I definitely didn't delete those files! :)

Thank you again!!
The nands will be different, but that's about it. There's also a barista file based on your home menu that will be different, but it doesn't matter. You can even delete the file, and it will be recreated at next boot. All other files should be okay.
Post automatically merged:

That barista file might be aroma only.

Trick457a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The nands will be different
Thank you- a question please:

So if I took my first SD card that DID have the nand backup from the first wii u, copied the whole thing onto a new card, used that new card to mod a new wii u, and then performed a new nand dump on the new wii u, do you know if the new nand dump would replace the previous nand dump, or add to the new files to the old ones? Would you recommend first deleting the first nand files, or doesn't it matter?

Thank you in advance!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what would happen. I'd imagine it would overwrite it though. I'd put that nand backup safe on your computer first.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I think the barista file is aroma only. I corrupted it a couple times when trying to add in those tetris symbols, a technique I learned from @Vague Rant iirc. if you corrupt it or it's somehow tied to the system, it won't matter though. just delete it, and a fresh one will be recreated. I'm not sure of its exact purpose within aroma, but it allows you to mod some of the home menu without fear of a brick. my system either bricked or the names were messed up when I screwed up the name lengths, but don't worry about any of that. just backup the nand unless the wiiu is dead or something, and reuse the same sd card.

Trick457a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I think the barista file is aroma only. I corrupted it a couple times when trying to add in those tetris symbols, a technique I learned from @Vague Rant iirc. if you corrupt it or it's somehow tied to the system, it won't matter though. just delete it, and a fresh one will be recreated. I'm not sure of its exact purpose within aroma, but it allows you to mod some of the home menu without fear of a brick. my system either bricked or the names were messed up when I screwed up the name lengths, but don't worry about any of that. just backup the nand unless the wiiu is dead or something, and reuse the same sd card.
I used the data from the old SD card on the new console and it worked fine- thanks everyone!

Also, why would I want to make nand backups periodically? Isn't it just the system data unique to each console and therefore wouldn't I only need to do it once?

Thank you again!

Reactions: godreborn

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not sure of its exact purpose within aroma
It's cause of the homebrews on Wii U menu. When you boot without Aroma (or boot into another CFW like Tiramisu) it will use the file from NAND while with Aroma it will use the file from SD card. Booting without Aroma would reset your layout if it would use the file on NAND all the time.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the data from the old SD card on the new console and it worked fine- thanks everyone!

Also, why would I want to make nand backups periodically? Isn't it just the system data unique to each console and therefore wouldn't I only need to do it once?

Thank you again!
making nand backups periodically isn't really worth the time. nand backups in this case are more about fixing catastrophic software problems rather than keeping the console up-to--date so-to-speak. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe