^^title-2604^^

GeneralLeoFF

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hope they give this game a decent re translation when it comes out in he US. I need something to wash that awful skyrender translation out of my head. That translation totally put me off this game.

Just play it with the original US translation. It pisses all over Sky Render's.

Yea thats the version I played the most back in the day. I also played the psx version that was just slightly modified from the Woolsey translation but it was unfortunately buggy slow and annoying. Several months ago me and a buddy played the Skyrinder translation with ZSNES netplay and pretty much died making fun of how bad it was. We however both got headaches trying to make since of it and stopped playing right at the start of the WoR. I don't plan on ever going back to the SNES original but I'm sure the GBA translation will be fine so I wont play the game again until February. On a side note most of the hacking done in the Skyrinder translation was A+.

As far as best game in the series goes I pretty much consider Final Fantasy to be dead after this game with 7 and up being pretty much crap. I like both 4 and 5 better then 6 with 5 being best. This is mostly because 6 falls apart at the WoR and becomes pointless and lacks any direction or plot advancement. Otherwise it would be second under 5. I never cared for 1 and consider 2 to be pretty bad. I also like 3 and place it under 6 but I have not played the DS version very much yet. From what I have played it seems they changed to much from the original so it might have lost it's appeal with me. The appeal of the original 3 was it's simplistic yet fun game play. It is like a simplistic version of 5. I'll have to leave final judgment on that for when I have the time to play it further.

heronic

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
this was my first FF game .. its a gem

same as the super nintendo "ff3" usa version.

then came FF7 on the ps1 which gave famed to the whole series.

7 is still the best imo ..

X-Gamer

GBATemp RPG Master
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
this was my first FF game .. its a gem

same as the super nintendo "ff3" usa version.
While it's the second FF game I've ever played (FF4 being the first), I agree it's one of the best games to ever be released on the SNES. I still have both cartridges in my possession althought I haven't played them for a long time now. The PS version would have been better if it wasn't for that damn load time.
dry.gif

In any case, they pretty much re-released all the FF classics with this one (including FF3 on the DS). It was really fun getting to play all these games again with all the added features like bonus dungeons.
happy.gif

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Finally. Portable FFVI at full speed. Holy crap, I think I've died and gone to heaven.

Initial notes:
- Music sounds kinda subpar to the original soundtrack (which is too bad, considering it is one of the best, if not the best, soundtrack written for a game). This is especially true when comparing the GBA/SNES-versions of certain tracks, such as the third part of the opening suite (played during the march towards Narche).
- Music also doesn't sync up during the intro ("War of the Magi"/"Great Magic War" and all) like it did in the original. Or during the march towards Narche for that matter. Shame. Update: This seems to have been due to me patching my ROM in order to enable the M3's quick save feature

I'll fill it up as I progress.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So that's

FF1&FF2 on GBA (combo)
FF3 on NDS
FF4 on GBA
FF5 on GBA (list fixed thx Pikachu025)
and
FF6 on GBA

Now we need FF7 on NDS.
yaynds.gif
(yeah, I know ... it'd be easier to port it to PSP, but f___ that.)

I'm all for this porting of classics to handhelds. Keep 'em comin'! Some people complain about it but its not like there's some kind of shortage of new games. So like it or not, Diddy Kong Racing comin' up!!

Ellara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, this was a pleasant surprise to wake up to. From the looks of it so far, I hope the english version gets some really good treatment, but this version should keep me occupied while I wait.

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the music has suffered with this port - especially in the Mines of Narshe.
The 'Breath' sound in this music is almost non-existant.

In general the music doesn't sound as ambient.

Maybe I'm picky - but comparing it to FFV Advance - FFV Advance is much better.

betaboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is it me or is this just too late? Square could've coined it in if they'd released this a few years ago and followed up with Chrono Trigger. What were they thinking? Maybe there was some input from $ony and their 15% stake in Square (or whatever the percentage is) I guess.

FranckKnight

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SNES had better sound capacities than the GBA, so its normal that it suffers.

And FF6 arguably pushed the audio hardware to its limit in that aspect.

But if you compare other games that were ported from the SNES, they all had some slight issues. I haven't tried this version yet, but I won't be surprised whatsoever by the lacks in audio.

FF5 and FF4 barely suffered in comparison, possibly because the songs themselves where less intensive, but you'll still notice that some of their songs lack an instrument here and there, but nothing too terrible.

Even Zelda, one of the first SNES-2-GBA ports went through downsizing of their instruments. Remember how 'orchestral' the SNES Zelda was?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: