Hardware Transferring PSN content to PS Vita with PS3 (and/or PC)

sandytf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the PS Vita firmware version 3.65 came out, the ability to transfer PSN content from a PS3 to a (hacked) PS Vita was broken (due to licence generation changes). Within the past few years, has this ability been restored (using a PS3 or PC)?

Last edited by sandytf,

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know that you can do this using Sony official tools. I don't think you could ever download directly to PC and I've never personally used the PS3 download methods.

Since you mentioned a hacked Vita, then you can definitely download PSN content to a PC and install it on your Vita. NoPayStation lets you download content directly from PSN servers on a PC, and the Nonpdrm plugin on your vita which will generate a license key. You can download PSN content directly on your Vita using PKGj (still need nonpdrm installed).

sandytf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The method I was referring to required using Qcma (https://codestation.github.io/qcma) instead of the official Content Manager, but otherwise involved downloading and installing legally owned content (with real and official licenses). I have a PS3 which was purchased specifically for this purpose, but I haven't used any of these systems in a long time, and I'm trying to determine if there is any reason to avoid updating the PS3's firmware.

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
The method I was referring to required using Qcma (https://codestation.github.io/qcma) instead of the official Content Manager, but otherwise involved downloading and installing legally owned content (with real and official licenses). I have a PS3 which was purchased specifically for this purpose, but I haven't used any of these systems in a long time, and I'm trying to determine if there is any reason to avoid updating the PS3's firmware.

Any reason to not just download directly from PSN on your Vita? You can do that with legally purchased content on a hacked Vita. The newest hacks allow you to spoof the most current firmware version so you can use PSN.

The reason I ask is that the only reasons I was aware of needing to use a PS3 is back when firmware spoofing only worked for a short window or trying to get around a PSTV whitelist.

Last edited by Jacobh,

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
When using the PS3 method, there is no chance of getting banned.

I don’t believe anyone has ever been banned for downloading legally purchased content on a spoofed firmware version. I’ve purchased and downloaded purchases many times with no issues (I do not use any hacks/cheats/pirated games, only homebrew and installing my own gamecards). I also have content manager backups of all my PSN purchases, so I’m willing to live with the risk.

I obviously can’t 100% say you won’t get banned, but people illegally downloading games direct to their Vita aren’t getting banned. It’s a low enough risk that I don’t think too many people are using PS3 like this anymore.

That being said I can’t answer if the PS3 method work anymore. I see some indications it may have stopped working even for activated vitas at some point 3-4 years ago though.

sandytf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS3 method stopped working with the introduction of PS Vita firmware 3.65 due to the change in how licenses are generated. I was wondering if a fix for this change had ever been found or developed.

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
The PS3 method stopped working with the introduction of PS Vita firmware 3.65 due to the change in how licenses are generated. I was wondering if a fix for this change had ever been found or developed.

If no one here has any info, you could try Wololo which seems to be a bit more Sony focused.

I don’t think anything has been done on this though as most people were using it to get around whitelist issues for PSP games or couldn’t otherwise connect to PSN. Outside of Sony fixing it, any hacks to get it to work would presumably add some risk of a ban as well. Sorry I don’t have any more info for you.

mickael28

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, trying to connect my modded PS3 to my modded Vita with USB or Wifi... but as soon as I do, the PS3 kind of crashes and goes into a black screen.

Do you know what else I could try to be able to pass a game from PS3 to Vita?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, trying to connect my modded PS3 to my modded Vita with USB or Wifi... but as soon as I do, the PS3 kind of crashes and goes into a black screen.

Do you know what else I could try to be able to pass a game from PS3 to Vita?
It's most likely firmware related on the ps3. I've transferred before between both systems and used remote play, just not on any recent cfw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool