• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump tax returns released, and no one is surprised that he was doing tax avoidence

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been out of office for nearly 3 years, and the Orange man still keeps you up at night.
This might come as a shock but talking about a major and influential figure in a political party, regardless of whether or not they're currently in office and especially when new information drops, is completely normal. Find a new routine because "orange man bad" wasn't already a good joke but especially when, in fact, orange man is bad. Have higher standards for "keeps you up at night" besides talking about a recent news story. Not that defaulting to "all the bullshit the left says to be true" is a sign of high standards.

and why should he donate his salary? I don't see you donating yours at all.
There's a major difference in significance between a layman getting by donating their salary and considering survival compared to a proclaimed businessman and notable figure of the country donating their salary. I don't know Nothereed's situation but it doesn't matter, "what about you" is a shitty retort. Trump is being talked about, not them. It's not their or anyone's job to make up for him, so don't put the spotlight on them. Actually focus on the person being talked about.

Last edited by Tsukiru,

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
Reactions: Xzi

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/...e-effort-to-obtain-trump-tax-returns-00070530
"The Supreme Court on Tuesday cleared the way for a House committee to obtain several years of Donald Trump’s tax returns from the IRS, a significant win for lawmakers that brought to an end a three-year court battle."
The courts have everything to do with this since Trump used them as a shield, he tried to delay as much as possible.
The courts are there to protect our rights as Americans. Because of this useless witch hunt that has accomplished nothing, nobody has a right to keep their taxes private. And now we are one step closer to all out fascism. Thanks lefties.

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
The courts are there to protect our rights as Americans. Because of this useless witch hunt that has accomplished nothing, nobody has a right to keep their taxes private. And now we are one step closer to all out fascism. Thanks lefties.
Former president (which at the time was sitting president) > Private Citizen
one of these things is not like the other.
Jesus Christ the kool-aid strawmans.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one of these things is not like the other.
Jesus Christ the kool-aid strawmans.
Presidents are American citizens too. I'm just happy that precedence has been set. I look forward to seeing you cry when the House starts requesting the taxes for anybody they want. It'll be nice to see how all these politicians and their families became multimillionaires while in office.

I'll ask again, is this the beginning of the end for dRumpf or are the walls closing in this time? Showing that his accountants used the tax code to his benefit is not the breaking news you think it is, but you've always been quite desperate when it concerns the orange man.

Reactions: phonemonkey

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
Presidents are American citizens too.
Read my damn lips, I don't phrase them like I do for fun.
A private citizen (in law) is someone who is not acting as a government official. Government officials are held to different (usually higher) standards than a private citizen in courts. The taxes requested was while Trump was a government official and a year before. Additionally the reason we got these returns was because of the fraud he committed on several of the businesses he owned, in which the supreme court viewed his case, and said "yeah you can have them"

One of these things isn't the same. Do you own several businesses. several cases of fraud, and the IRS auditing you during that same time, and being a President of the United States, which historically releases their taxes publicly and you didn't release them? No? Okay then.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here I'll make it extra fun, I want you to cite the exact part from the supreme court ruling and several cases Trump fought to prevent his taxes from being released, and cite how that would suddenly make everyone's taxes public. Surely if it sets a precedent, you can cite it verbatim.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Also there's plenty of European countries that have their taxes public, and they're pretty democratic, so I'm not sure how people's taxes becoming public magically creates fascism.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,
Reactions: The Catboy

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read my damn lips, I don't phrase them like I do for fun.

A private citizen (in law) is someone who is not acting as a government official. Government officials are held to different (usually higher) standards than a private citizen in courts. The taxes requested was while Trump was a government official and a year before.
A year before makes him a private citizen. Please state the law that says that government officials are required to hand over their taxes.
Additionally the reason we got these returns was because of the fraud he committed on several of the businesses he owned, in which the supreme court viewed his case, and said "yeah you can have them"
Now point to the fraud.
One of these things isn't the same. Do you own several businesses. several cases of fraud, and the IRS auditing you during that same time, and being a President of the United States, which historically releases their taxes publicly and you didn't release them? No? Okay then.
Nobody was ever required to release their taxes by law or court order. Now that precedent has been set, the fun can start. The IRS found no wrongdoing during any of their audits.
Here I'll make it extra fun, I want you to cite the exact part from the supreme court ruling and several cases Trump fought to prevent his taxes from being released, and cite how that would suddenly make everyone's taxes public. Surely if it sets a precedent, you can cite it verbatim.
Do Supreme Court decisions not set precedence anymore? The entire left was saying how important precedence was during the Roe strikedown decision last year. Now, you are saying precedence is not important. Which is it, because you can't have it both ways.

Reactions: phonemonkey

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/...e-effort-to-obtain-trump-tax-returns-00070530
"The Supreme Court on Tuesday cleared the way for a House committee to obtain several years of Donald Trump’s tax returns from the IRS, a significant win for lawmakers that brought to an end a three-year court battle."
The courts have everything to do with this since Trump used them as a shield, he tried to delay as much as possible.
You don’t understand. The courts made the IRS give congress access or to make the returns public.. They didn’t *just now* make a ruling that he should be audited. The IRS has been REQUIRED to audit the POTUS for decades. They apparently did not do their job. That’s the point I was trying to make.

Reactions: TraderPatTX

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
You don’t understand. The courts made the IRS give congress access or to make the returns public.. They didn’t *just now* make a ruling that he should be audited. The IRS has been REQUIRED to audit the POTUS for decades. They apparently did not do their job. That’s the point I was trying to make.
sigh
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/22/us/supreme-court-trump-taxes-house-democrats.html

first off this all started from the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Committee_on_Ways_and_Means. Which if you don't know, handles tariffs, and surprise, taxes. They requested trumps taxes, in which they were trying to do oversight, but couldn't due to Trump throwing the courts trying to stall for time. He requested those files in 2019

Throwing court after court, litigation, appeals, stalling for as much time as possible. It's not that they just didn't do their job. It's that Trump got what he wanted, he stalled for as much time as possible, that was the objective.

Yes, the courts have everything to do with this, because that's the mechanism trump got to stall through.

As for the IRS not doing it's job, it didn't, you're correct, it shouldn't take a request from a committee for them to take a look.
Post automatically merged:

Considering how Trump was trying to strong arm the department of justice before jan6th, and strong armed other departments, it could be implied he hired yes men around the IRS or departments the IRS would contact, since usually the IRS isn't asleep at the wheel with sitting presidents.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sigh
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/22/us/supreme-court-trump-taxes-house-democrats.html

first off this all started from the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Committee_on_Ways_and_Means. Which if you don't know, handles tariffs, and surprise, taxes. They requested trumps taxes, in which they were trying to do oversight, but couldn't due to Trump throwing the courts trying to stall for time. He requested those files in 2019

Throwing court after court, litigation, appeals, stalling for as much time as possible. It's not that they just didn't do their job. It's that Trump got what he wanted, he stalled for as much time as possible, that was the objective.

Yes, the courts have everything to do with this, because that's the mechanism trump got to stall through.

As for the IRS not doing it's job, it didn't, you're correct, it shouldn't take a request from a committee for them to take a look.
Post automatically merged:

Considering how Trump was trying to strong arm the department of justice before jan6th, and strong armed other departments, it could be implied he hired yes men around the IRS or departments the IRS would contact, since usually the IRS isn't asleep at the wheel with sitting presidents.
Dude… how old are you? I said the IRS was required to do the audit, and you bring up congress again. The IRS had his tax papers. Every year. THEY had a requirement to do the audit. Until now, there is/was no law requiring him to give it to congress, or he wouldn’t have been able to stall in the first place. The IRS could have simply sent them over.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude… how old are you? I said the IRS was required to do the audit, and you bring up congress again. The IRS had his tax papers. Every year. THEY had a requirement to do the audit. Until now, there is/was no law requiring him to give it to congress, or he wouldn’t have been able to stall in the first place. The IRS could have simply sent them over.
The IRS couldn't just send them over. It is against the law to publicize somebody's tax records, even to Congress unless they have a warrant, which they are not able to get because they do not have the authority.

Trump dragged them through the courts for a reason. One, to humiliate them for when they got their hands on it them and there's nothing there, which is why they waited so long to release them and two, to set precedence for the incoming House.

I look forward to seeing the taxes of 437 people, their families and businesses.

Reactions: urherenow

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IRS couldn't just send them over. It is against the law to publicize somebody's tax records, even to Congress unless they have a warrant,
Bingo. Unless a law was passed requiring congress to review them (Then a warrant would not be needed). That clearly was/is not the case. And a good number of people in these forums are yet again, salivating over the situation. They think it’s another “gotcha” moment for Trump just like both impeachments, while back in reality, there isn’t a criminal case to be made of it.

INB4 people start chiming in with the New York stuff, which was against one of his many companies, and not the man….

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bingo. Unless a law was passed requiring congress to review them (Then a warrant would not be needed). That clearly was/is not the case. And a good number of people in these forums are yet again, salivating over the situation. They think it’s another “gotcha” moment for Trump just like both impeachments, while back in reality, there isn’t a criminal case to be made of it.

INB4 people star chiming in with the New York stuff, which was against one of his many companie, and not the man….
bUt ThEy GoT dRuMpF tHiS tImE...

Just you wait. A story was even written, so it must be true.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/2023-will-finally-be-the-year-of-accountability-for-donald-trump

:rofl2:

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Things are largely in a holding pattern right now, and IMO that's because Russia's invasion of Ukraine was a canary in the coal mine for China's invasion of Taiwan. The former went very poorly, so China is reconsidering. Good thing too, because the US is definitely willing to go to war over the world's biggest microchip manufacturer.

Other than that, tensions are still high, TikTok might get banned...etc.
for whatever reason, I do see US imperialistic efforts to start a World War that it would probably lose.

But what China has to do with Trump being corrupt? I bet he can't even pinpoint China on the map, but can skip taxes like a champ.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The tax avoidance spiel is always mind-numbing to me. The entire point of “paying taxes” is to calculate and pay the exact amount owed. If someone qualifies for a deduction, or is entitled to offset losses from previous years against the gains in the current tax year, they absolutely should. You should *always* pay the *minimum amount*, if you pay more than that, or fail to take advantage of those opportunities, you are *overpaying*. It is no different than paying double for a burger and not collecting your change - you’re entitled to that change, it’s your money.

The reason why nobody’s surprised that Trump offsets his losses against his gains is because he’s never made a secret of it. He *bragged* about it on national TV, from the debate stage. Everybody knew about this, it’s been public knowledge since before he was president.

As far as him donating his salary is concerned, this was adequately addressed by others in the thread, so there’s no point reiterating it. His salary would’ve still counted as income on the filings, and his donations were public at the time he was making them. They were always publicised, along with the amounts he donated.

Giant waste of time for everyone involved, and yet another investigation in search of a crime.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The reason why nobody’s surprised that Trump offsets his losses against his gains is because he’s never made a secret of it. He *bragged* about it on national TV, from the debate stage. Everybody knew about this, it’s been public knowledge since before he was president.
I (partially) have to agree with this: the USA citizens knew who they were voting for. They refused to believe it, minimize the precedent or...well...basically what his fanboys are bringing up as arguments, really. I can't really blame them, as I don't think anyone actually DENIED it.

Well...except Donald himself, who occasionally blurted out things like he paid the MOST taxes somehow. Which contradicts his own statement in the Clinton debate (prior to 2016) that not paying taxes makes him smart. :P

Giant waste of time for everyone involved, and yet another investigation in search of a crime.
Hmm...I was so close to completely agreeing with you, and then you wrote this. :P

It's an overhyped media circus, I'll give you that. The guy should be in jail for a whole lot of other things, most prominently the attack on January 6th. This is like paying interest to how much taxes Bin Laden actually owed his country...
...but that doesn't mean he didn't commit crimes. Serious or not is a matter of perspective, but "in search of a crime" and "Giant waste of time" are just petty remarks, considering he's already been ordered to pay fines for tax violations.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I (partially) have to agree with this: the USA citizens knew who they were voting for. They refused to believe it, minimize the precedent or...well...basically what his fanboys are bringing up as arguments, really. I can't really blame them, as I don't think anyone actually DENIED it.

Well...except Donald himself, who occasionally blurted out things like he paid the MOST taxes somehow. Which contradicts his own statement in the Clinton debate (prior to 2016) that not paying taxes makes him smart. :P

Hmm...I was so close to completely agreeing with you, and then you wrote this. :P

It's an overhyped media circus, I'll give you that. The guy should be in jail for a whole lot of other things, most prominently the attack on January 6th. This is like paying interest to how much taxes Bin Laden actually owed his country...
...but that doesn't mean he didn't commit crimes. Serious or not is a matter of perspective, but "in search of a crime" and "Giant waste of time" are just petty remarks, considering he's already been ordered to pay fines for tax violations.
I don’t need you to agree with me. The entire point of combing through his returns was to find a hook, that’s the definition of an investigation in search of a crime. I have no comment on your other allegations because they’re contrary to how the rule of law works. “Just because we didn’t find anything doesn’t mean he didn’t commit a crime” is a ridiculous standard - either you have a credible suspicion backed up by evidence or you don’t. You’re pre-emptively assuming that he’s guilty of *something* and finding out what is just a matter of how deep you’re willing to dig and what rules you’re willing to bend - that’s not how this is supposed to work.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are about to learn a lot about January 6th in the coming months. There's already proof that Ray Epps instigated people going into the building, yet he walks free. In fact, the J6 committee hid his testimony until they couldn't hide it any longer. We also know now that Pelosi intentionally denied National Guard presence and reduced the number of Capitol Police officers on duty that day while she had a film crew. Makes you wonder why the pipe bomber has not been named and arrested.

And to top it off, Adam Schiff was spending his time getting people banned from social media, infringing on American's 1st Amendment right.

Going after Trump is nothing but a distraction from the Democrats and RINO's (uniparty) crimes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe