Two new Assassin's Creed games coming THIS year.

What do you think about Ubisoft's decision of releasing 2 new AC games this year?

• A new AC game every year is getting repetitive and boring.

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • I'm excited for it.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • They should work more on the games and release a game every 2-3 years.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
You think Nintendo will make it to the next console gen? How cute.

Yeah, Nintendo's bank has more money than you can count and if you want to see it, Google it.

The term "next-gen" for consoles is really misused because well.. they aren't. The real next gen gaming is on PC.

PS3 was considered a beast of a machine now it's what you know, outdated.
PS4 is being called the most powerful console, that's until the next one arrives.

All this console next-gen talk is just silly.

Besides, PS4/XO/WU are current-gen and PS3/360/Wii are last-gen.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The reason why the PS4/XBox One/Wii U are still caused next gen systems is mostly because the PS3/XBox 360/Wii as still sold concurrently with them, the former three will continue to be called next gen systems until the "next gen switch" is complete. The reason why PC's aren't called next gen systems is because they're not - contemporary PC's have no generations, just gradually stronger hardware - it's been like this since early '90ies.

In any case, I think this might be a good thing, and here's why. Practically, it means that developers acknowlege the fact that the PS3/360 have reached their limits and there is no way to expand from that point onwards, so they have to create new builds of their engines specifically for next generation systems. That said, they don't want to leave the owners of older hardware behind, so they're making another game specifically for them.

I don't see why this could make the games feel unfinished, it's not uncommon for companies to work on several games at the same time, especially such molochs as Ubisoft. As long as the two games are made by two studios, there's no reason to worry about it.

Reactions: Maxternal

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last AC game I played was on my PSP, I did buy AC3 for Wii U but haven't played it yet. Why no 3DS version of AC?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The last AC game I played was on my PSP, I did buy AC3 for Wii U but haven't played it yet. Why no 3DS version of AC?
Maybe the DS ones didn't do so well, plus the 3DS is far, far from being capable enough to pull off the AC Vita engine they have. Ubi would have to use the old and musty PSP one, and I'm not sure if you'd like that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, if they're looking to get the maximum amount of milk out of this, then a 3DS version should be released.
Just because there's more 3DS systems out there doesn't mean that they would maximize profits if they released an Assassin's Creed on it - if the games didn't really work out on the DS then clearly the audience of the 3DS is not interested in them, I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because there's more 3DS systems out there doesn't mean that they would maximize profits if they released an Assassin's Creed on it - if the games didn't really work out on the DS then clearly the audience of the 3DS is not interested in them, I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

Assassins Creed and Call of Duty games were big on consoles but sucked on the DS. I think it was more a graphics quality/game play issue with the DS versions of those games. I think the 3DS would do better with games like that then the DS. We'll never know how well AC would do on 3DS if there isn't a release.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Assassins Creed and Call of Duty games were big on consoles but sucked on the DS. I think it was more a graphics quality/game play issue with the DS versions of those games. I think the 3DS would do better with games like that then the DS. We'll never know how well AC would do on 3DS if there isn't a release.
The PSVita's Assassin's Creed didn't do particularly well either and it looked as close to the home console version as the hardware allowed, so I'm not entirely sure if it's a graphics issue. The overlap between home console users and portable console users is like the Bermuda triangle - you never really know how things will work out there. On top of that, the Nintendo audience doesn't have a history with the Assassin's Creed brand, so there's no attachment to the brand to begin with. Not that I'm saying there shouldn't be an Assassin's Creed game on the 3DS - I'm pretty sure that jumping off of towers into conveniently placed haystacks would look awesome with the 3D fishbowl effect, I just don't know if such a venture would be good for Ubisoft.
Assassin's Creed = Call of Duty
Pokemon = Call of Duty. Mario = Call of Duty.

Here's the thing - we're talking about two incredibly successful franchises which are consistently expanded upon by massive development teams. With this amount of manpower dedicated to the projects, it's no wonder that the games can be released at a yearly or almost yearly basis. Developing a game over the course of 3 years instead of 1 doesn't necessarily make it more polished - everything depends on how many coders and artists actually work on it.

Reactions: Maxternal
J

JustTheOtherGuy

IIRC there was a scheduled AC game for 3DS but it just melded into Revelations, and it was supposed to be an Ezio game that explains some of the gap between Brotherhood and Revelations

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Well, if they're looking to get the maximum amount of milk out of this, then a 3DS version should be released.
Think of it this way, it's not like they just have a big, magic "compile for 3DS" button somewhere on their computer. It takes a LOT of work even to port an existing game to a new platform, no matter what corners they try to cut. Even if they don't write the engine from scratch and recycle one from an older platform, it's still for ANOTHER platform and needs some work to fit the 3DS and it's also made for ANOTHER game with different features that they may have to adjust the game world to. Were they lucky enough to have an engine already they'd still have to simplify the maps/models/textures/animations down to something that the 3DS hardware can handle.

ALL that takes people (who they have to pay) and if they don't think they're going to at least make more money off of the 3DS version as they will put into creating it OR they think they can have those same employees working on a different project that's going to make them MORE money, they're not gonna do it. That's business.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Isn't it enough already?
Desmond story is over, what made AC unique was that link between Desmond and his past lifes.
Now they're just milking the franchise, the game will probably look good, and will have a decent gameplay, but I'm not interested,
there have been way too many AC titles.

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the game will probably look good, and will have a decent gameplay, but I'm not interested, there have been way too many AC titles.

Couldn't you say the same thing about, say, Mario or Pokemon? The games have decent gameplay, but there's a lot of them.

J

JustTheOtherGuy

I chose option 2 because I am excited for this game(Cool setting, ps4 xbone pc only, and cool time period), but hopefully they will start to give them longer development cycles afterward. With a new generation of console hardware, trying to make more innovations and advances with 2 or more years between releases

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Couldn't you say the same thing about, say, Mario or Pokemon? The games have decent gameplay, but there's a lot of them.

Maybe, but what does this has to do with the topic.
This topic is about AC, I see no point talking about Mario or Pokémon, do you?

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Maybe, but what does this has to do with the topic.
This topic is about AC, I see no point talking about Mario or Pokémon, do you?

Well, with your way of thinking you wouldn't play another Pokémon game either, as there are to many of them.
That's what you said about AC, that you're not interested in playing another, despite it might be a decent game, just because there are already others.
I see no point in that reasoning of yours.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Series burnout is quite easy to achieve, although with some fresh changes, I could see Unity doing very well. I totally want to run around France, but I don't want it to be monotonous and same-y as past titles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P