Homebrew Unofficial 3DS RetroArch builds

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for all feedback, Greatly appreciated!

Please keep in mind, there is no active development on cores like 4DO, VirtualJaguar and Yabause.
Unless a 3DS dedicated developer takes a look at these cores, expect no improvements in the near future. (or, at all)

Thanks for .3dsx versions
Game & Watch .3dsx not run
I cant select any game

Just tested it myself, i get what you mean.
To check if the core does work, I've deleted the old 'retroarch' folder (used for cia's) and copied a fresh folder from the buildbot.
I tried loading content manually, (which didn't recognize the extension at first), by disabling 'Filter unknown extensions' and selecting a game manually. Which works.

The core loads multiple games (the ones i've tried) correctly, i have to figure out why the extension isn't recognized on a clean install.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is a tutorial out there how to setup/use software under dosbox ?

You can find some instructions one a few pages of the other retroarch thread, adding info on dosbox has high priority for me, will be added in the next couple of days.

Reactions: Muxi

angelhp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tested it myself, i get what you mean.
To check if the core does work, I've deleted the old 'retroarch' folder (used for cia's) and copied a fresh folder from the buildbot.
I tried loading content manually, (which didn't recognize the extension at first), by disabling 'Filter unknown extensions' and selecting a game manually. Which works.

The core loads multiple games (the ones i've tried) correctly, i have to figure out why the extension isn't recognized on a clean install.

Perfect now run.....thanks !!!
I've deleted the old 'retroarch' folder and now run.....perfectly...... @MrHuu

Reactions: MrHuu and matt!

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The unofficial builds have been updated with NEW icons and banners!
Many thanks to Matt! for the artwork!

note:
Some playlists won't work due to a namechange to the core. Please re-scan for your playlists.
Also, for the new ICONS to show, you'll need to uninstall the .cia first.

edit:

Or as matt! pointed out, use Cthulhu to clean icon cache. For updating the icons.

Last edited by MrHuu,
Reactions: cimbot and angelhp

angelhp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The unofficial builds have been updated with NEW icons and banners!
Many thanks to Matt! for the artwork!

note:
Some playlists won't work due to a namechange to the core. Please re-scan for your playlists.
Also, for the new ICONS to show, you'll need to uninstall the .cia first.
Please tb dual !!!

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The pcsx_rearmed build from 14.11.2016 has better performance than the december build.
Tested with Final Doom on N3DS 11.3 Luma+A9LH

Update
After playing for a while, I have to correct my previous statement. The November build is the same as the December build.

I think the stable build of version 1.3.3 was best. Is it possible to integrate the core in version 1.4.1?

Last edited by Muxi,

DamonKerr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Yeah Gran Turismo is slow ~30 without frameskip and Gran Turismo 2 is unplayable on the December build. Pity was trying to relive my PSX days.

Reactions: MrHuu

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the stable build of version 1.3.3 was best. Is it possible to integrate the core in version 1.4.1?
It's possible to add a core so that you can launch such an old PCSX from new XMB on >1.4.X the only issue is that you can't go from PCSX back to any other core.

Do you have PCSX 1.3.3 to share?

Yeah Gran Turismo is slow ~30 without frameskip
Gran Turismo was never better than that even on a real PlayStation.

Last edited by matt!,

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's possible to add a core so that you can launch such an old PCSX from new XMB on >1.4.X the only issue is that you can't go from PCSX back to any other core.

Do you have PCSX 1.3.3 to share?

I only have the pcsx 1.3.3 cia, not the corefile that is located in the retroarch-folder.

Attachments

• cia_v1.3.3.zip
    996.3 KB · Views: 283
Reactions: matt!

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
cia_v1.3.3
OK, you can use the core attached, it goes in /retroarch/cores

In my brief testing (Jumping Flash 1: intro, menu scree, first level) there is no difference in performance between 1.3.3/1.3.6-stable/1.3.6-november/1.3.6-decmber builds

I'd be interested in hard facts that showed otherwise.

Attachments

• pcsx_rearmed_libretro.core.zip
    747 bytes · Views: 218

Alain Desjardins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to emulate SNES, its my primary goal. My test is usually to run Zelda a Link to the Past. Using the default settings, audio tends to skip a bit and performance seems to be slow. I want a perfect pixel reproduction on my screen so I tinker with these options:

Disable "Bilinear Filtering"
Enable "Interger Scale"
Aspect Ratio to "1:1 PAR (8:7 DAR)"
Custom Aspect Ratio Width: 320
Custom Aspect Radio Height: 240

and the image looks perfect but performance is still off (30-40 fps).

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Should the game be running smooth with default settings on? I'm on a New3DS XL so I figured this system is strong enough to run it. I know the game is available in VC and runs perfect there but, I would like to run all my SNES games using the emulator instead so I don't have so many applications installed for the many SNES games I want to play.

I can't find any guide or tutorial on how to properly setup Snes9x2010 to run perfect on the N3DS. Any advice or am I doing something terribly wrong?

Reactions: MrHuu

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Please tb dual !!!

First this thread needs to be updated, next is Atari800 and fuse and hopefully add some mapping options for some cores. TGB-Dual generates to many compilation errors on the current release. It needs more work.

Unless you still got the source from the 1.3.3 release of pcsx, it's not possible. Libretro has tagged their releases till 2012.

Also, all stable builds from 1.2 and up (including 1.3.3) can be downloaded from the Libretro-buildbot.

I'm trying to emulate SNES, its my primary goal. My test is usually to run Zelda a Link to the Past. Using the default settings, audio tends to skip a bit and performance seems to be slow. I want a perfect pixel reproduction on my screen so I tinker with these options:

Disable "Bilinear Filtering"
Enable "Interger Scale"
Aspect Ratio to "1:1 PAR (8:7 DAR)"
Custom Aspect Ratio Width: 320
Custom Aspect Radio Height: 240

and the image looks perfect but performance is still off (30-40 fps).

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Should the game be running smooth with default settings on? I'm on a New3DS XL so I figured this system is strong enough to run it. I know the game is available in VC and runs perfect there but, I would like to run all my SNES games using the emulator instead so I don't have so many applications installed for the many SNES games I want to play.

I can't find any guide or tutorial on how to properly setup Snes9x2010 to run perfect on the N3DS. Any advice or am I doing something terribly wrong?

Haven't tested the different Snes9x cores. So far, i had the best results with Snes9x2005 (not plus).
Just about every game i threw at it, runs full speed. Pixel perfect emulation left aside.

Edit:
Just tried Zelda with the same settings you provided on the Snes9X2005 core. Still runs 60fps. Are there any specific locations on which the slowdown occurs?

Last edited by MrHuu,
Reactions: matt!

GammaLyrae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave that last build of PCSX_REARMED a shot. It had about exactly half the performance of the stable 1.3.x versions in Symphony of the Night.

Alain Desjardins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First this thread needs to be updated, next is Atari800 and fuse and hopefully add some mapping options for some cores. TGB-Dual generates to many compilation errors on the current release. It needs more work.

Unless you still got the source from the 1.3.3 release of pcsx, it's not possible. Libretro has tagged their releases till 2012.

Also, all stable builds from 1.2 and up (including 1.3.3) can be downloaded from the Libretro-buildbot.

Haven't tested the different Snes9x cores. So far, i had the best results with Snes9x2005 (not plus).
Just about every game i threw at it, runs full speed. Pixel perfect emulation left aside.

Edit:
Just tried Zelda with the same settings you provided on the Snes9X2005 core. Still runs 60fps. Are there any specific locations on which the slowdown occurs?

I'll try the 2005 core, but I thought the sound was not that great on that core? Yeah slowdowns occur during game creation when you type the text and in the house when you start out, including going outside when the rain hits. Everything slows down and gameplay is slow as well. Frame rates drop to 30-40 fps.

Edit:

Yeah I just tried the 2005 non plus core and with the settings I laid out, I am getting 40 fps during the intro when link is sleeping in bed. Sound is choppy, text is scrolling slow etc. Is there anything I need to confirm that retroarch is using my faster n3DS processor? How do i make sure it's working properly?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel