Homebrew Update 11.7 and Homebrew

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
11.7 breaks all userland homebrew for stock firmware.
Seedminer is unaffected.
Ntrboot is unaffected.
Luma3ds is unaffected.

Reactions: OrGoN3

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
11.7 breaks all userland homebrew for stock firmware.
Seedminer is unaffected.
Ntrboot is unaffected.
Luma3ds is unaffected.
Makes me wonder why they bother.
There's still hardware flaws making patches useless.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Makes me wonder why they bother.
There's still hardware flaws making patches useless.
It appears this update was just to change strings related to the new Euro regs on data privacy.
Breaking user homebrew really wasn't their intent I don't think. That kinda just happens whenever anything in home menu .code is altered.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
It appears this update was just to change strings related to the new Euro regs on data privacy.
Breaking user homebrew really wasn't their intent I don't think. That kinda just happens whenever anything in home menu .code is altered.
Lol that's even funnier then.
Nice catch, I actually thought they kept trying.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Someone pointed out that the list of 3DS SpotPass relays was further reduced. Looks like good ol' attwifi is down for good.
https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/3ds_nzonehotspots.php?version=v21504

I thought I read somewhere that the shutdown of Japanese SpotPass relays at the end of March shut down everything, including HomePass, because they took down a server somewhere? I haven't gotten any StreetPass hits from BestBuy Canada in ages. (Of course, if no one is bringing their 3DS to BestBuy anymore, that would do it too.) But then, this list clearly has a bunch of "7SPOT" ssids, so maybe it's not so dead after all? (For that matter, did no one tell them that Future Shop closed down for good years ago?)

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Someone pointed out that the list of 3DS SpotPass relays was further reduced. Looks like good ol' attwifi is down for good.
https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/3ds_nzonehotspots.php?version=v21504

I thought I read somewhere that the shutdown of Japanese SpotPass relays at the end of March shut down everything, including HomePass, because they took down a server somewhere? I haven't gotten any StreetPass hits from BestBuy Canada in ages. (Of course, if no one is bringing their 3DS to BestBuy anymore, that would do it too.) But then, this list clearly has a bunch of "7SPOT" ssids, so maybe it's not so dead after all? (For that matter, did no one tell them that Future Shop closed down for good years ago?)
It was down for the count before. Not exactly news on that front.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suppose it's really just "Nintendo Zone hotspots" (for distributing updates and other content) and not SpotPass relays.

Bondgirl85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's always good to see someone sacrificing their homebrew 3DS to see what still works so they can report it to us.

Bondgirl85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny definition of "sacrificing" when NAND can be backed up and restored on and across any version (or, for that matter, without any OS installed at all) :)

I don't know how to do that stuff. I am hack illiterate. It was hard for me putting a seedminer on my system and I still don't understand all the features on the NAND and godmode or what it means to dump your games, etc. Only thing I have used was the QR code for updating and using the freeshop and anemone.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you still do this?

Installing boot9strap (DSiWare)

just wanted to make sure...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
(off topic)

So, what's everyone doing these days? Installing homebrew CIA or running everything through Rosalina?
Both are valid options for 90% of homebrew (probably 99% if we count features instead of specific apps and also consider arm9 firm/bin homebrews)...

I personally prefer cias, the implementation is cleaner (an application being implemented as its own actual application!!!) but I did use 3dsx when I made SpecializeMii Plus, as the original is also a 3dsx and couldn't bother to adapt it :)

---

I don't know how to do that stuff. I am hack illiterate. It was hard for me putting a seedminer on my system and I still don't understand all the features on the NAND and godmode or what it means to dump your games, etc. Only thing I have used was the QR code for updating and using the freeshop and anemone.

The 3DS's NAND is just a "funnily shaped" SD card (containing a proprietary and encrypted partition table and filesystems, but it doesn't matter for this purpose), so by building an adapter, it can be connected to an SD card reader and backed up like any other computer disk

Alternatively, thanks to "ntrboot", it is possible to run any (slightly modified = fakesigned with a different key) ARM9 homebrew, including Godmode9 or other nand backup tools, directly from a DS flashcard

Last edited by Ryccardo,
Reactions: OrGoN3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu