[UPDATE] Nintendo confirms Super Mario Maker 2's online mode will be restricted to randoms only

b1Rdf7s.png

On May 15th, we got to see a wealth of new information about one of the most anticipated upcoming games for the Nintendo Switch; Super Mario Maker 2. During the Nintendo Direct, details such as the co-op mode, which lets players experience crazy levels together with their friends both online and offline was revealed. At least, that's what many thought it to be, until an embargoed press event took place. During the event, publications were invited to play an early build of the game, and try out some of the new features of Mario Maker 2. According to one of the websites in attendance, Nintendo World Report, a Nintendo representative explained that online co-op play is limited to randoms-only, and that players will not be able to join up with their friends over the internet. The Nintendo rep stated that the reasoning behind the decision was because the competitive global leaderboards would be "compromised". Oddly enough, it wouldn't impact the co-op function, as those do not have a leaderboard, but the representative said that simple co-op would not be playable with friends online either.

If this is true, then you'll only be able to play co-op with friends over local wireless or through a single docked console, while the online mode is limited to lobbies of randomly picked players. Of course, Nintendo's track record for online games wouldn't make such a choice outside the realm of possibility, but it does seem an odd thing to exclude, especially for a flagship title that will help represent the Nintendo Switch Online service.

As this was a comment made by a media representative of Nintendo, and not from a Nintendo Direct, or straight from a press release, it's hard to judge the credibility of the statement. Other outlets that got to try Super Mario Maker 2 hands-on appear to make no mention of being able to play online modes with friends, making this possible, but not official. Should this be addressed by Nintendo itself, an edit will be made to clarify the situation.

:arrow: Nintendo World Report - "Online Play in Super Mario Maker 2 Limited to Randoms Only"

UPDATE

Nintendo itself has confirmed this to be true. The company's official stance is, "This is true. As the game is now, you cannot create friend lobbies online. You can only play online with randoms. You can still get friends together and play with local play, and you're free to play with four players on one Switch system. You can also still challenge your friends to your creations, and take on their designs through Course UDs and having them follow your Maker Profile."

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This game wouldn't interest me but it's looking like this game gonna be known as Mario braker:P

MO35AB

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I guess that's the same reason why we can't build stages and upload them using mario maker 3DS, weird !

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
Why couldn't they just have a "Play with friends!" option that just doesn't affect the leaderboard. I see why they did that since people would exploit ways but why not just have an option that doesn't use the leaderboard? So stupid...

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I speak with my wallet regardless if it makes absolutely zero dent in anything they do. This is as incredibly stupid as only making the mini games in Super Mario Party playable online, rather than the actual boards.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't they team up with, say, Microsoft or any other service, hell, even Valve, and have an employee on board to do consulting and say, "look, we're taking all of your staff, ESPECIALLY the senior-level staff, and we're going to bring EVERYONE up to speed on how lobbies should work."

Just because of ranked competitive? What the fuck is this, Nintendo? EVO Mario Maker featuring Maximilian Dood, SonicFox, Alex Valle, Daigo Umehara, etc.!? People just want to chill and play games online with their friends, not just with randoms, many of whom will probably be of the following variety:

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
How do you mess up something this simple.

I like local MP but not everyone has that choice, I played that **** COD Vita game purely because it was a way to have fun/chat with a family member who lived far away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...