• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US Government to shut down in less than an hour, would be first single-party shutdown ever

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't get too worried. Unless someone in your family works for the federal government or so you probably won't feel the effects of it. Not unless it drags on a long time.
They're talking about having a deal done before the end of the weekend, but with the volatility and unpredictability of Trump, I'm not going to be placing any bets on how long the shutdown lasts.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get too worried. Unless someone in your family works for the federal government or so you probably won't feel the effects of it. Not unless it drags on a long time.
That's what I'm concerned about. I don't personally know anyone that would be impacted, but since I work at a grocery store I end up seeing a LOT of people receiving government benefits that, if I understand correctly, won't be renewed until after the budget is worked out

Reactions: Xzi

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I generally support democrats, but even I think it's unfair to call this a single party shutdown. It's literally impossible to pass a budget without Democrats, since there's 51 Republican Senators and the budget needs 60 votes.

This a complex issue, there's several factors. There's Trump, who changed his mind at the last minute on DACA and rejected a bipartisan budget, there's CHIP, the health insurance program for children, which some republicans aren't a fan of, there's the fact that Democrats want both of those things and don't want things like Trump's wall, which withers Republican support significantly.

Wherever you stand on those issues, Republicans and Democrats are trying to pass all their goals at once and won't concede anything to the other. And thus, the government is shut down. I agree with Democrats on their positions on all of these issues, but I don't think this is a good idea, and am disappointed in them and Republicans alike. The budget isn't a toy, but both sides are treating it as such.

And to top it all of, even if republicans and democrats agree on a budget, they'll still likely need trump to sign it, which is hard to do since he's changed his mind on DACA, CHIP, and the wall at least once each this week. He has no idea how government budgeting works, and that's why we're getting a shutdown on the first anniversary of his presidency.

blackwrensniper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ill let you kids in on a little secret about "government". its all a pretend shit show just like professional tv wrestling. its there for the illusion of "control". im willing to bet it will be purposly let to be shut down as to use as yet so ething else to argue about and use as a chess move.
Or you are a crackpot conspiracy theorist. I wonder which is more likely...

Anfroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work for the federal government. Probably still wont feel any effect from this.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And to top it all of, even if republicans and democrats agree on a budget, they'll still likely need trump to sign it, which is hard to do since he's changed his mind on DACA, CHIP, and the wall at least once each this week. He has no idea how government budgeting works, and that's why we're getting a shutdown on the first anniversary of his presidency.
That's been the biggest hurdle from the beginning and I think it will continue to be to the end. Don't forget that Republicans and Democrats already had a deal, they had done their part, it was simply up to Trump to man up and accept the compromise. He didn't, and there's no reason to believe he'll accept the next compromise, either.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please try to stay on topic and not be childish.

My father is a civilian working as a physical therapist for the military, after having served in the Navy and retiring from the Army. So obviously he is impacted by this unless it's resolved quickly.

You know.. I wouldn't mind the Military having a larger budget.. If it went to help the Vets and R&D to help the solders survive and better pay for them.

Instead it's spend on one of Congressman or Senator *I don't remember* factory that makes tanks we don't need *seriously, we have three time the tanks than we have people to drive them*

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Republicant = Trump. Sure we all have flaws, but this guy has no clue and he is putting all of USA in a bad position. Super reckless.

No.. he knows perfectly. He's just in it for the money.

As much as dislike Bush Jr and thought he was an idiot. I still believe he tried to do what he honestly believed was right for the country (Weather it was or not is debatable)

Reactions: slaphappygamer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You know.. I wouldn't mind the Military having a larger budget.. If it went to help the Vets and R&D to help the solders survive and better pay for them.

Instead it's spend on one of Congressman or Senator *I don't remember* factory that makes tanks we don't need *seriously, we have three time the tanks than we have people to drive them*
The US is the richest nation on Earth, I don't mind high military spending as long as we have parity with social spending. Stuff like infrastructure, healthcare (including mental health centers), renewable energy (cheaper in the long run), and NASA.

Last edited by Xzi,

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The US is the richest nation on Earth, I don't mind high military spending as long as we have parity with social spending. Stuff like infrastructure, healthcare (including mental health centers), energy, and NASA.

Still no reason to build tanks and planes we don't need. :(

You all act like Trump is Hitler!!! Trump is a class act and would stand up for this country when none of our elected officails would. He is single handidly taking on the globalists and winning all the while MAGA!
I can finally say Trump is my president :D

Um... Trump is literally doing what Hitler did. Not to mention he won't denounce the nazi's. That puts him if not in Hitler's zone.. Stalin's.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, overall defense spending could be cut by around a third and they'd still have everything they need to operate in the same manner. Makes it all the more sad that we see Bernie Sanders' ideas as "unrealistic," yet Trump's wall of burning taxpayer money is perfectly reasonable.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it would be better to keep funding and sending our military surplus to terrorist orgs overseas like the past 2 or administartions did?

Um... Trump is literally doing what Hitler did. Not to mention he won't denounce the nazi's. That puts him if not in Hitler's zone.. Stalin's.
You are full of yourself! Hitler put people in ovens....
You liberals worship communist dictators but the so called one that is our POTUS!
Even Seattle has a Joseph Stalin statue on display with love right in the open for everybody to see.

Last edited by Cylent1,
Reactions: DarthDub

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la