• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US presidential election

Who are/did/would you vote for?

• Total voters

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of those need reworking and cuts yes. It's not pretty, but when government spending is this out of control, it's our responsiblity to make sacrifices.

This has to be dealt with, even if it makes our lives less comfortable. Ron Paul is spot on on this subject, I wish I could support him if he wasn't whacky on other issues.

I'll gladly be happy if any of the republicans win, (even Ron Paul). We just can't afford Obama again. He's not changed things around, and it'd be foolish to gamble and give him another four years to do so after he's made things worse.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
All of those need reworking and cuts yes. It's not pretty, but when government spending is this out of control, it's our responsiblity to make sacrifices.

This has to be dealt with, even if it makes our lives less comfortable. Ron Paul is spot on on this subject, I wish I could support him if he wasn't whacky on other issues.

I'll gladly be happy if any of the republicans win, (even Ron Paul). We just can't afford Obama again. He's not changed things around, and it'd be foolish to gamble and give him another four years to do so after he's made things worse.
How has he made things worse?? There is an increase in private sector job growth. He has actually made things a little better. And nobody wants to touch the military actually all of the Republicans except for Ron Paul want to increase spending on the military.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, believe it or not there was private sector job growth.So regardless of what you say he has not made the economy worse. And none of the Republicans will be able to bring America back to where it was 7 years ago. And if you're wondering he has done more than 'Obamacare' which actually is a good thing and killing Osama bin Laden.

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say there has been private sector job growth and obamacare will be a magical happy thing for our drowning in debt country, you need to have facts to back these statements up. I doubt you even bothered watching the video I posted. It's only 3 minutes long, you might learn something rather than blindly supporting a president because he's the cool guy everyone likes.

Hopefully back on topic, for those of you yet to vote, it's best to go with the guy you feel is best capable to take steps into the right direction for a change, whether you like him or not. Even if he's old and ugly, the majority of us will never get the chance to hang out with them, so don't vote based on likability.

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
I bet he did watch It, at least some of It but could not comprehend still what he was talking about in the video so he dismissed It all. I swear, a large portion of the population has been dumbed down and brain washed by the media and they dismiss facts and sometimes common sense. I have tried to wake up so many people but sure enough they just think I am some kinda terrorist that doesn't go along with the agenda. I see these people watching the news and I hear them say, "Yeah bomb them, blow those evil bastards off the map." I feel so discusted that normal everyday people don't have a problem with killing a whole country's people and chering them on while It is happening. Noone seems to look at the other picture or If they where in their shoes how they would feel.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Blame Fox News.
If a TV programme thinks for you then I'm going to blame you for lack of better judgement and independent thought.
I was being sarcastic. You should go focus on your own Polish politics, don't understand what you are doing here.
I'm a citizen of the world, I'm interested in global politics because the crazy antics your governments pull off affect the global economy. The U.S is not a different planet, y'see. You happen to live in a superpower with extensive overseas influence, I'm pretty sure you understand why people of other nationalities would be interested in the U.S elections now.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who thinks Obama is doing a bad job needs to look at the facts.
The NASDAQ closed at over 3000 for the first time in 11-12 years.
Unemployment is dropping at is at just 8.3%.
Whether you realize it or not hes done a great job and things will only continue to get better.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So it's better for me to pay to feed, cloth, and shelter them because they broke the law? Please! Send them back and seal the boarder.
Death sentence.
I cannot believe that this went by unnoticed for whole 2 pages. There are silly posts, there are posts that make little sense, there are posts that are gramatically or lexically incorrect and there are also posts that are completely cretinous which is a big accomplishment in my book.

What you are basically saying is that if a citizen of the U.S murdurers someone, he or she will get 25 years to life imprisonment while an illegal immigrant will recieve the death penalty for the same crime. How does that make any sense to you? Do I really have to explain how stupid it is? Yes, clearly I do because you came up with the idea in the first place.

Your "solution" of this problem breaks not only the simple and well-known rules of equality, it's practically inhuman - you treat immigrants as if they were lesser men, you choose to kill them like animals because they're not "American". I'm not aware if you understand how many human rights the states would break if this was common practice. News flash, feller - except for Native Americans (although even they mixed with other races throughout the course of history) every single American out there is an immigrant or a descendant of immigrants. What gives you the right to dictate who deserves to live and who deserves to die on the basis of citizenship?

It is not uncommon to be persecuted in the country in which you commited a crime, it is not uncommon to recieve time in that same country - it's like this all around the world and in every single case the criminal faces fair trial and recieves punishment accordingly to the law of a given country. If anything, a criminal may request extraditing him to his country of origin, but in that case it is a matter to be settled between the embassies of both countries.

I'm not going to condemn you only because perhaps you did not realize the sheer weight of what you were saying or you conveyed your idea poorly but let me tell you - it's a stupid idea. The states are not doing anything extraordinary, every single civilized country I can think of has similar legislature and handles the exact same matter in the same fashion.

NeoSupaMario

GBATemp's Official Stegosaurus
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet he did watch It, at least some of It but could not comprehend still what he was talking about in the video so he dismissed It all. I swear, a large portion of the population has been dumbed down and brain washed by the media and they dismiss facts and sometimes common sense. I have tried to wake up so many people but sure enough they just think I am some kinda terrorist that doesn't go along with the agenda. I see these people watching the news and I hear them say, "Yeah bomb them, blow those evil bastards off the map." I feel so discusted that normal everyday people don't have a problem with killing a whole country's people and chering them on while It is happening. Noone seems to look at the other picture or If they where in their shoes how they would feel.
Exactly. People think that everyone over in Iraq, Iran, and other countries are terrorists. But truthfully terrorists only make up a small part of the population. There are mostly innocent men, women, and children lliving over there. And the wars making it very difficult to live.

If you bomb a country just cuz it's got a few terrorists, that is not right. There are a few terrorists in America, so would you kill every person in america just cuz there's a few terrorists?

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People even considering voting for Obama again is a joke. I'm not sure if he even has one accomplishment (running up trillions in debt doesn't count)
Yeah, because Obama hasn't accomplished a single thing. And as I've already mentioned, Obama's contributions to the debt are less than $1 billion, and much of it was necessary for economic recovery. You're probably one of those people who thinks the stimulus was unneeded or a failure. Had we had a president with that kind of attitude, things would have gotten a lot worse.

Blahkamehameha, I'm not sure you can even credit Obama for taking out Osama either depending on who you believe besides just what the mainstream media reported.
Obama made all the major decisions involving both the finding and killing of Osama Bin Laden. The military did a great job, too. None of what the Bush administration "accomplished" helped with the killing of Osama.

in response to smile: Indeed. You do know small businesses make up the backbone of America's economy right? Obama's admininstration (and senate) have smothered small business growth, and gave them a very uncertain future with the ominous obamacare.
Yeah, because the Small Business Act, raising investments in small business, giving more tax credits to small businesses, and allowing the effects of Obama Care on small business to be tax deductible: That's smothering small business growth.

I'm not sure if you understand things correctly. Government spending needs to be reduced, not have more income to fuel it. Tax cuts will help economy big time as long as nonsense government spending is cut.

Tax less, spend less benefits everyone.
Good thing Obama's task force in figuring out a way to reduce the deficit includes spending cuts. Most rational people agree that the deficit problem is both a revenue problem (tax cuts on the rich that weren't paid for) and a spending problem. If the Bush tax cuts were allowed to expire now, by 2050, the debt would be roughly a third of what it will be if the Bush tax cuts are allowed to stay in place.

As I've already mentioned, spending isn't inherently bad. I agree that things can be trimmed a little bit. But Ron Paul's $1 trillion in cuts to the federal government would strike a crippling blow to the economy and is impractical.

Ron Paul is wacky on all the issues (except maybe military cuts). His cuts to the federal government would instantly cause another recession. Ron Paul thinks it is not the government's place to do things like make sure companies are not destroying the environment or to make sure schools are getting the funding they need. If it were up to Ron Paul, pretty much everything would be privatized. When you say the above things need to be reworked, Ron Paul would destroy most of them. No one should be taking Ron Paul seriously. In all honesty, he's probably the worst candidate in this election.

When you say there has been private sector job growth and obamacare will be a magical happy thing for our drowning in debt country, you need to have facts to back these statements up. I doubt you even bothered watching the video I posted. It's only 3 minutes long, you might learn something rather than blindly supporting a president because he's the cool guy everyone likes.

Hopefully back on topic, for those of you yet to vote, it's best to go with the guy you feel is best capable to take steps into the right direction for a change, whether you like him or not. Even if he's old and ugly, the majority of us will never get the chance to hang out with them, so don't vote based on likability.
There has been private sector job growth. Obama Care is paid for and does not contribute to the debt. The chart discussed above shows that initial unemployment has gotten better, which means the economy has gotten better, and you can see the causal relationship the stimulus had on initial unemployment getting better. You are correct that it does not show total unemployment. However, I posted a chart with total unemployment and each and every way unemployment is measured (including those who have been out of work for awhile and would not show up on the initial unemployment chart), and all those numbers are down as well as a result of the stimulus.

Basic economics: supply and demand. Conservatives think tax cuts for the wealthy will increase jobs. The logic here is that the wealthy will use their extra money to invest in more jobs. People get jobs, they get paid as that new tax money "trickles down" to them, and the wealthy make a profit. All this is accomplished by merely removing taxes, which means the problem is solved by actually removing government involvement. However, this entire thing is flawed.

The real way you increase jobs is to focus on demand, not supply. The above scenario assumes that tax breaks for the rich will allow them to increase their supply, sell more of whatever, and be able to hire more workers to sell whatever. However, the economy is bad because there is a lack of spending going on. If I own a bookstore in a horrible economy and receive tax cuts, I am not going to use that extra money to hire more workers; I'm going to pocket that money. Hiring more workers in an economy where I require less workers means just throwing the money away. I would hire more workers and see no positive change in my profit.

By focusing on demand, what the stimulus does, is how you make more jobs, which all the data shows is what happened. If, instead, I give tax cuts to the poor and to the middle class (the stimulus was the largest tax cut to the middle class in the history of this country), the middle class is going to use that extra money to go out and buy things. Businesses make more of a profit, they hire workers to keep up with the new demand, and the economy wheel starts turning again. In fact, tax cuts to people who need money the most, like people who are out of the job, spend that money rather quickly, and we actually see more of a return in the economy per dollar than how much we actually put in in the form of tax cuts/unemployment benefits.

The stimulus did all that. The numbers show that it had a positive effect. It could have done better. Reputable economists agree that the economy was worse than we thought it was, and even then they were saying that the stimulus should have been bigger. To say that unemployment is not better is a flat-out lie. People need to do some more research.

NeoSupaMario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hasn't anyone noticed that the unemployment rates only rlly started dropping when Obama started his campaign for re-election? He's doing it so that people think that he actually will be a better president 2nd term than he has been the last four years.

P.S. Don't forget to vote in the poll!

NeoSupaMario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hasn't anyone noticed that the unemployment rates only rlly started dropping when Obama started his campaign for re-election?
Unemployment numbers started dropping long before Obama started his reelection campaign.
Yes. They went down, then up, then down, then up, etc. Until like mid-late last year when they went down and slowly continued to go down. That's when the presidential race basically got going.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...