• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US troops withdrawal from Afghanistan

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What did Biden say that was untrue? Please be specific.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There was never going to be a good time to leave, but leaving was necessary.
honestly ignore valwinz
all he seems to do is ignore everyones valid opinions with no counter arguments at all and just donowall you an post twitter posts on cooldown

Reactions: Lacius

DoubleDate

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You clearly aren't compassionate and kind to fellow human beings & neither is Trump. I will be kind and compassionate to you when you are kind and compassionate to Joe Biden.

Sure, now i must be cheering and jumping of happines and say welldone Biden, you did great sir. How can someone be happy when he gave the order to abandon the Aghan people? He left them to their mercy. He didn't even anounce it, he just left quietly.

He could've solved this in a more better way. So was he compassionate to all the people he left to be murdered? All the young girls that are at the mercy of luck? Even when his advisors told him not do keep going with the way he did? At least he should've planned it strategic, so that people would have enough time to leave. If you dont see the problem, then grab a flight to Kabul and see how "compassionate" Biden was to the poor Afghan people.

But i guess you are a hardcore Biden fan. This alone would've cost Trump his presidency, would things turned like what happened now. But yeah, sure Biden gets free pass.

The point is due to Biden failure lots of people will now be murderded, used as slaves and young girls married against their will, so does that calls compassionate in your book?

Again, this could been done differently.

Last edited by DoubleDate,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JZqXw4r.png
Shut up bigots, respect their culture!

Valwinz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Imagine you’re a young girl in Afghanistan. The US tells you you can go to school, have dreams, go to college, pick a husband. You study and work for 20 years and then BAM…Orange Man Bad and you’re a government assigned concubine.

Reactions: BitMasterPlus

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sure, now i must be cheering and jumping of happines and say welldone Biden, you did great sir.

There is a difference between "making sure the correct person is blamed" and "congratulating someone for the outcome".

Do you not see that?

If two cars collide the person who's fault it is gets penalized, it's not valid for them to say "this isn't fair, you're congratulating them for having an accident."

If Trump came out and said that it was inevitable but US troops had to come home and he personally accepted the outcome, then I'd think he had some kind of humanity. But it's clear that he used Afghanistan as a pawn in his game to get back into the white house.

But i guess you are a hardcore Biden fan.

No I'm a hardcore fan of the truth and logical argument. Trump is not a fan of either. It is clear you are not either.

This alone would've cost Trump his presidency, would things turned like what happened now.

If all the illegal stuff Trump has done did not cost him the presidency, then what makes you think this would?

Trump obviously didn't think it a good idea to actually implement this during his presidency though.

The point is due to Biden failure lots of people will now be murderded, used as slaves and young girls married against their will, so does that calls compassionate in your book?

No, that is not ok in my book. But Trump set the wheels in motion for that to happen, his plan was always that the Taliban would win and young girls married against their will & he will use them to his advantage.

I don't see that Joe Biden could do anything to stop that.

As president of the USA, I'm not sure if it's even his right to stop that by invading the country.
If the Taliban invaded the USA because of violations of their laws, then you'd be upset.

Most western countries want the USA to end the death penalty, should we invade the USA?

Again, this could been done differently.

Like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, the outcome would be the same.

Last edited by smf,

DoubleDate

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There is a difference between "making sure the correct person is blamed" and "congratulating someone for the outcome".

Do you not see that?

If two cars collide the person who's fault it is gets penalized, it's not valid for them to say "this isn't fair, you're congratulating them for having an accident."

No I'm a hardcore fan of the truth and logical argument. Trump is not a fan of either. It is clear you are not either.

If all the illegal stuff Trump has done did not cost him the presidency, then what makes you think this would?

No, that is not ok in my book. But Trump set the wheels in motion for that to happen, his plan was always that the Taliban would win and young girls married against their will. I don't see that Joe Biden could do anything to stop that.

As president of the USA, I'm not sure if it's even his right to stop that by invading the country.
If the Taliban invaded the USA because of violations of their laws, then you'd be upset.

Like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, the outcome would be the same.

Mate how can you with a serious face say that he isnt responsible for the actions of what happened?
Look here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9899117/Biden-DEFENDS-leaving-Afghanistan.html

He blames everyone except his failure of poor strategic withdrawal and the killing of innocent people.

Illegal stuff? Like making a phone call, taxes? Are you seriously comparing minor things like that to the murder of innocent people? Im now lost at words, wow.

The example of two cars makes not sense at all, first because BIDEN rejected everything that Trump has done and this one he could easily reject it too but he didnt! His plan backfired and now he is putting all the blame on others. Its so bad that Kamala Harris is distancing herself from this, where is she? Oh nowhere to be seen. And Joe is back to his "vacation" So much compassion for the Afghan people.

No, Trumps plan was a strategic withdrawal, a backup plan, he would leave power to the Aghan forces not the extremist, that was part of the deal too. The extremist would not have been in power if Joe didn't botch and abandon the Aghan people.

No it wouldn't be the same. If there was someone who stopped one of the 911 Hijackers, would the the planes struck the WTC? No, the outcome would have been different because one of the wheel in motion to carry a barbaric act is stopped meaning the wheel wouldve stopped and not going further.

Blaming Trump gains nothing. The thing is that not a single extremist tried anything during his presidency. He was there for 4 years! They knew not to mess with him.

Dont expect this to be Biden only mistake, there are 3 more years to go, God save us if something bad happens. Im really tired of all the war and pain in this world.

But yeah, still no answer as to why Biden ignored the advice the Pentagon gave him.

Its a sad time and i really do feel bad for the poor Afghan people who dont deserve this kind of betrayal. Biden should've done this more carefully.

Last edited by DoubleDate,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine you’re a young girl in Afghanistan. The US tells you you can go to school, have dreams, go to college, pick a husband. You study and work for 20 years and then BAM…Orange Man Bad and you’re a government assigned concubine.
Respect their culture, you bigot!

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
"And he lost an entire country over the course of this week."

You can't lost something you never owned in any possible context.

Reactions: Xzi

Dakitten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so you agree with USA doing nothing to easy the pain that it is directly responsible for is a right move? Come on!
If USA dig itself in a perpetual problem, it should be solely an USA problem, not an Afghanistan's people problem.

But USA don't care, I know, it is their "America first" stuff, just with blue tie instead of the red one.

Put bluntly, there was no easier way to leave. Staying would only solidify the notion that the US is trying to turn the area into a puppet state or colony, which would spark even more conflict. This sort of thing is sad, but it is an issue for the larger international community.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm ready for Biden to get us out of the Middle East entirely. Who gives a fuck if warmongering neocons bitch about it the whole time. Our presence there never did anyone any good, and it's still not doing anyone any good. Time to turn off the money spigot for all these weapons manufacturers and private mercenary groups, so it can be better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Dud and Dakitten

saulopp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I did not like it when they added helicopters to the GLA in the Command & Comquer - Zero Hour mod "Rise of the Reds" because I felt it was too unrealistic for this faction having an airforce.

GLA_MI6_Hook.jpg

I was wrong.

E8vst6AWQAANMg_

Last edited by saulopp,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was in favour of forces being withdrawn from the Middle East under Trump and I'm in favour of it now - you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. If people in the Middle East want to live under a xenophobic, racist dictatorship (not all, but most) then that is the fate they've chosen.

To paraphrase my favourite comedian, the Middle East is like a boat, and the coalition is like a guy going through mid-life crisis. Having a boat is pretty cool - you can go on a cruise any time you want, except when it needs to be serviced, which is always. You spent so much on it already, you have to fix the boat, right? The moment you buy the boat, you're faced with a lose-lose choice every season - you can sink more money into the boat or you can sink the boat. At some point you have to grow up and realise that the boat is going through your savings. You need to realise that it's time to sell the boat to another sucker - somebody else can take care of it, otherwise you'll just sink along with it. You won't recoup your cost, ever, but you can finally stop worrying about the damned boat.

The *only* thing that's mildly annoying about the situation is the fact that the entirety of the establishment, both sides of the aisle, screeched to high heaven when Trump suggested that it's time to bring all the troops home from the dustbowl, and now that Biden bungs up doing exactly that it's a "sensible decision". I was told that creating a power vacuum in the Middle East will embolden terrorists and spread chaos across the region and abroad (and it demonstrably did, as everyone could've predicted) - I guess that's not a pressing concern now that the president is someone the establishment likes. Now it's okay to not care about people in the East having the same squabbles they used to have.

Long story short, the people of Afghanistan will have freedom when they start to desire it - you can't *make them* want democracy and equality with missiles, bullets and tanks. The occupying forces were never going to establish a long-lasting, peaceful, democratic state in the area - you can't do that in Afghanistan and you can't do it in Iraq. They'll build it themselves when the time comes, until then we can just stop spending money on the damned boat and redirect those funds towards things that actually matter to the average voter - at home, not abroad.

Reactions: Dud, Empu1 and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The *only* thing that's mildly annoying about the situation is the fact that the entirety of the establishment, both sides of the aisle, screeched to high heaven when Trump suggested that it's time to bring all the troops home from the dustbowl, and now that Biden bungs up doing exactly that it's a "sensible decision".
Trump's decision to withdraw from Afghanistan is one of the few during his presidency that I take no issue with. It's how he decided to go about it that was the problem, by ignoring the established Afghani government and going directly to the Taliban to negotiate with them instead. There's no guarantee that things would've turned out any different no matter what, of course, but at the very least he should've avoided lending legitimacy to the Taliban's claim over the country.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Whoa, rumors from conservative Twitter. How convincing.
He should've said "according to an anonymous source", that was perfectly credible during the previous administration.
Trump's decision to withdraw from Afghanistan is one of the few during his presidency that I take no issue with. It's how he decided to go about it that was the problem, by ignoring the established Afghani government and going directly to the Taliban to negotiate with them instead. There's no guarantee that things would've turned out any different no matter what, of course, but at the very least he should've avoided lending legitimacy to the Taliban's claim over the country.
Given how quickly the Taliban took over the country, his assessment of the situation was orders of magnitude more accurate than Biden's.

Valwinz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
About Biden disgusting speach

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Given how quickly the Taliban took over the country, his assessment of the situation was orders of magnitude more accurate than Biden's.
I have a hard time believing Trump "assessed" anything, I think he simply aligned ideologically more with the Taliban than any other group in Afghanistan, so he gravitated toward them without even considering his other options. Religious fundies of a feather flock together.

Reactions: Dakitten

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Looks Like Darth Vaders shuttle lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    1Gbps will probably be around $50 by 25 also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I hope, I'm paying that for 500mb now
    I would be paying 40 for 1Gbps but now it's free lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My last ips guy told me college is already testing 20Gbps
    I can get 3Gbps here right now but it's like LOL 300 a month or something
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $30 for 300Mbps is fine for me
    Free 1Gbps is good enough for me :P lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most universities, school are fiber optic tho, not many residential areas have fiber optic yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember me and friends would pirate movies at local libraries
    I am super blessed 2 fiber runs to my house with competing companies lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lucky, I can't get yet in my hood
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got one friend that can't get fiber four houses down because of city lines
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Would be like $400 for them to install it
    Technically for a month there I had Frontier FIOS 500Mbps and Spectrum 1Gbps (they got me on Spectrum because it was a little cheaper for double the speed)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speedcum
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I mean what would you really need that fast for tho, 500mb streams 4k fine. 1gb should be fine for 8k eventually. That's what I just switched to Spermrum.
    I was funny to have both networks running lol
    It was cheaper lol
    The only reason I switched was $$$
    Might have only been like 7 bucks but thats like 84 dollars at the end of the year lol
    840 dollars after 10 years
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hope I can be rich enough to pay all bills annually someday
    Not that I will save the money, rather I will just spend it on other crap lol
    lol just do autopay it's as lazy as it gets
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: lol just do autopay it's as lazy as it gets