Valve officially announces Steam Deck, its handheld gaming PC releasing this December

steam deck.JPG

The Nintendo Switch (OLED model) wasn't the "Pro" upgrade many expected it to be with 4K support and new internals but before its announcement, other handhelds aimed to take the role of the "Switch Pro". The AYA NEO and GPD Win 3 are among those devices shooting for that nickname since they are able to run recent AAA PC games on the go, given that they are handheld gaming PCs. Their efforts and popularity, although niche, enticed companies like Lenovo and Tencent to make similar concepts or patents; indicating that these indie companies might have more serious competition in the future.

It seems like this will indeed be the case and these handheld gaming PC manufacturers will need to brace themselves as Valve is itself entering this market with a Valve-branded handheld gaming PC. This news was actually reported back in May and today we have the official confirmation. In a Steam post today, Valve revealed the Steam Deck, an AMD-based handheld gaming PC that is expected to begin shipping in December 2021 in select regions.

The software giant partnered with AMD to create a custom APU for the handheld that is said to be "optimized for handheld gaming". "It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance to run the latest AAA games in a very efficient power envelope," reads the announcement.

It will run on SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based) and there will be several models of the Steam Deck, which differ on the storage capacity, with the base model starting at $399. However, every model will include a microSD slot for additional storage capacity. For more details about the models available and their price, refer to the image below:

steam deck models.JPG

You can find additional specs details in the images below (click/tap to enlarge):

specs 1.JPG specs 2.JPG

And just like the AYA NEO and GPD Win 3, the Steam Deck will also have a dock which will be sold separately. This accessory will provide ports for external displays, wired networking, USB peripherals, and power. More details about the dock's pricing will be announced at a later date but you can find some specs details in the thumbnail below:

dock.png

specs dock.JPG

Valve says that the Steam Deck will start shipping this December to the United States, Canada, the European Union and the United Kingdom, with more regions coming in 2022. However, to be able to purchase one, you will need to book a paid reservation which will let you pre-order when the time comes. This reservation fee will also count towards the Steam Deck purchase price.

"The main reason for reservations is to ensure an orderly and fair ordering process for customers when Steam Deck inventory becomes available," writes Valve in the announcement FAQ. "The additional fee gives us a clearer signal of intent to purchase, which gives us better data to balance supply chain, inventory, and regional distribution leading up to launch."

Reservations for the Steam Deck will open Friday July 16th, 10am PDT. For more details about the new handheld gaming PC, head to the source link and official Steam Deck website linked below.

Are you interested in getting one?

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: Steam Deck Official Website

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Well, Nintendo doesnt really care much about third parties, thats why the Switch has its specs.

They do, especially after the Wii U failed because of it being one of the reasons. There's a big player base who prefer the Switch because of the portable third party titles. To think Nintendo would not respond to this at all would be pretty rare, then again it's Nintendo... But I still wouldn't be so certain they're not going to.

Reactions: GhostWolf

linkchidori

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They do, especially after the Wii U failed because of it being one of the reasons. There's a big player base who prefer the Switch because of the portable third party titles. To think Nintendo would not respond to this at all would be pretty rare, then again it's Nintendo... But I still wouldn't be so certain they're not going to.
The thing here is that i dont see Nintendo nowadays doing something so risky as launching a more powerful console. If they cant produce at a cheap price, i dont see them selling it.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
The thing here is that i dont see Nintendo nowadays doing something so risky as launching a more powerful console. If they cant produce at a cheap price, i dont see them selling it.

At the same time they're known for Switching things up. If Steam can do it for $400, by the time Nintendo does, it would be very likely they could pull it off. But this is all speculation anyway, I'm just happy there's something that could possibly influence Nintendo to go in a more powerful direction at least.

Reactions: GhostWolf

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Arch is a more "bare bones" OS that they can build up from, so it makes perfect sense to use it as the base for a gaming OS.
I understood that after thinking about it, I just found it interesting since the old SteamOS was based on Debian and they were very proud of it. I suppose even Valve can change with the flowing trends of the Linux community.

Reactions: matpower and Jayro

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeesh man, more storage always costs more, huh? Either way, I'd like to see a review for this when it comes out since I'm kinda interested in it.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Switch-like design.
  • Can drop out of the Steam UI into bog standard Arch Linux KDE.
  • Dock-able as a desktop PC.
  • Better than base PS4/XB1 performance GPU wise with a waaaaay better CPU. (RDNA 2 does more per flop then GCN due to architecture improvements.)
  • Starts at $400.
I cum. Actually take my money. I'm getting the second tier model. Also I see a lot of people saying this might not run 9th gen AAA games. I'd say if it can run 8th gen AAA games at medium to high settings (like we've seen it can). It'll at least be able to run most 9th gen AAA games at low settings.

Last edited by Pickle_Rick, , Reason: Fixes. More info.

FFTfanatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Screen res is a bit disappointing, but wow it's a damned bargain, innit?
1080p would have been nice but when it comes to more demanding modern games, 800p better suits the relatively weak spec (weak as in compared to a gaming rig with discrete GPU). With 800p you won't have to lower settings and / or upscale from sub-native resolutions quite so much, plus you can always downsample from a higher resolution if there's resource headroom.
In that context, I'd sooner 800p than a 1080p screen where I would more often need to compromise on settings and/or upscale from sub-native resolutions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wanted to download the Sonic manía plus android versión cuz i have Netflix but my phone isnt compatible
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    @The Real Jdbye you seem confused, nes remix 2 had nes open
    NinStar @ NinStar: @The Real Jdbye you seem confused, nes remix 2 had nes open