Hacking (vWii) - Tri-Core Linux

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here you go, the cruzer (that's what's on the drive and the one on the left) is the only "normally" obtainable flash drive, the BT/Kingston (Middle one) was a freebie from BT and the Vivo (Both 4GB and 8GB also the one on the right) was a free school reward thingy from last year

I wish that I could help more than just prod Trinux with a stick and see what happens but I don't really get the programming side of it (I'm in first year computing using Visual Basic .NET) so I'll help as much as my technical knowledge will allow me to (I'll probably change partition sizes again on the next release, not that hard to do for me :lol:)
lpqxrccx.jpg

Okay, thank you for this. And no worries about being noobish to programming, I'm an amateur myself :P. All of the programming aspects have been handled by Maxternal and Ninja_Carver thus far (sorry if I ommitted anyone else, totally unintentional). I've just been contributing what I can via my linux knowledge. I'm also good with ASM, which will come in handy when we start implementing SMP for the Espresso processor, but we haven't started that process yet.

Reactions: 2haloes

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, but if you run Trinux on your Wii U (for testing purposes), can you plug in your usb drive and see if Trinux will pick it up? You don't have to keep Trinux, I'm just trying to get an idea of what drives are compatible and what aren't

2haloes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, thank you for this. And no worries about being noobish to programming, I'm an amateur myself :P. All of the programming aspects have been handled by Maxternal and Ninja_Carver thus far (sorry if I ommitted anyone else, totally unintentional). I've just been contributing what I can via my linux knowledge. I'm also good with ASM, which will come in handy when we start implementing SMP for the Espresso processor, but we haven't started that process yet.
Well at least I know my around Debian enough to do stuff in trinux, I still need to get a LAN adapter to try the online features (I can't afford one right now ) but I'll keep poking it with a stick and see what happens

Also, I've been using a 8GB integral ultimapro SDHC card to run trinux (Up to 20mb/s) if anyone's having trouble

UPDATE: I also remembered that if you do want to mess around with the sizes of Trinux, you should use a Linux distro that has a partition editor (I use Lubuntu with Gparted personally), you can't do this in Windows due to Windows not supporting multiple partitions on USB/SD devices

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

cualquiercosa327

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks everyone for your support! It means a lot :).

I'm doing okay considering....

I come here with a development/investment question. As many of you have already been able to see by the previous video I posted, that I was able to get FreeMAT (free open source alternative to MATlab) to run under trinux.

Now I just recently learned that MATlab can actually be used to build GUI's (i didn't think think this language was intended for such a use, but apparently it is!). Now the gears in my brain are turning. We could actually utilize this to develop OUR OWN homebrew to run under Trinux (theoretically, it should run on any machine that can run MATlab, but I digress). While this was technically possible before, I didn't realize we could actually make GUIs that the average joe can utilize :).

Here's my dilemma, FreeMAT doesn't support GUI development just yet unless you hard code it (which I simply do not know the language well enough yet to attempt such a feat). Now most dev's know that MATlab is super expensive for the full blown commercial version, but as an engineering student, I can get the full student suite for only $99. Sure its very limited compared to what the commercial suite has (obviously, you get what you pay for), but as long as it supports gui development (using GUIDE, which is the user friendly way to build guis for noobs to the language like myself ;) ) it would be more than enough to write some free homebrew apps and/or games.

My question is, has anyone else had experience with the student suite? Thoughts, comments? Do you think its worth the plunge? My lab partner (in my matlab class) just sprung and bought the student version ($50 version, just matlab alone) and he said its great, but I want to hear from others. IF I decide to get it, I will be getting the $99 version as it comes with the full (student) suite. Otherwise you have to pay for each individual addon which adds up quick.

And before anyone asks, I'm NOT seeking donations for this purchase ;)

EDIT: If I get the student suite, I will be running it on my pc for development purposes NOT my Wii U just for the record XD, but in theory if a GUI is developed on MATlab using GUIDE, it "should" still run okay on FreeMAT as GUIDE just writes the code for you (for the GUI, you need to write everything else of course ;) :P.

Hello.i have used matlab in the past and i must said : dont use for GUIs almost you have waste ram . Matlab itself use java for its GUI and it make too slow on some machines as mine (last time i use on a machine with 1 Gb of ram and it was horrible .
It has a great documentation , is a complete suite BUT with many addons but are some free alternatives such as Octave with can be usefull for most use people give to matlab (unless you need some module with has not implemented on Octave)

About GUI for linux on Wii U or other machines with "limited" resources

I would recomend some faster alternatives as Opie (it was developed for embebbed proyect and used on comercial as Zaurus (in Japan sell fine but here it was only a dream for most people)
I dont know if it has added features some time ago but it was fully stable and with many programs.Port other to them was easily.

http://opie.sourceforge.net/wiki/WhatIsOpie

Other suggestion are EFL : Enlightenment Foundation Libraries

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/ELC-E.pdf

http://old.gustavobarbieri.com.br/palestras/efl/elce2008/Rich_GUI_without_pain.pdf

i can no give many info about them because i never use but it seem great.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.i have used matlab in the past and i must said : dont use for GUIs almost you have waste ram . Matlab itself use java for its GUI and it make too slow on some machines as mine (last time i use on a machine with 1 Gb of ram and it was horrible .
It has a great documentation , is a complete suite BUT with many addons but are some free alternatives such as Octave with can be usefull for most use people give to matlab (unless you need some module with has not implemented on Octave)

About GUI for linux on Wii U or other machines with "limited" resources

I would recomend some faster alternatives as Opie (it was developed for embebbed proyect and used on comercial as Zaurus (in Japan sell fine but here it was only a dream for most people)
I dont know if it has added features some time ago but it was fully stable and with many programs.Port other to them was easily.

http://opie.sourceforge.net/wiki/WhatIsOpie

Other suggestion are EFL : Enlightenment Foundation Libraries

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/ELC-E.pdf

http://old.gustavobarbieri.com.br/palestras/efl/elce2008/Rich_GUI_without_pain.pdf

i can no give many info about them because i never use but it seem great.

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to look into those!

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone actually done anything with the SMP? That is like the car engine. If you have that set up then I think the rest would be worked on; other steps are probably easier than the SMP part. Over the last two years MANY have claimed to do "ASM" and can help with the SMP...then they disappear. One guy was a "I do it for money and could do it...but I won't...no money for me" kind of guy. Some were going to "take" from the Xbox 360 Linux or USE it as a reference. Then...you can guess...they disappeared ;-) When the Wii U 2b comes out maybe the ODE will have been released by then and whoever has it all up and running (full homebrew like on the Wii) might actually share. Marcan was probably right, the current state of homebrew on propietary systems is dead.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone actually done anything with the SMP? That is like the car engine. If you have that set up then I think the rest would be worked on; other steps are probably easier than the SMP part. Over the last two years MANY have claimed to do "ASM" and can help with the SMP...then they disappear. One guy was a "I do it for money and could do it...but I won't...no money for me" kind of guy. Some were going to "take" from the Xbox 360 Linux or USE it as a reference. Then...you can guess...they disappeared ;-) When the Wii U 2b comes out maybe the ODE will have been released by then and whoever has it all up and running (full homebrew like on the Wii) might actually share. Marcan was probably right, the current state of homebrew on propietary systems is dead.

I'm actually going to play around with that tomorrow. Seeing as the Espresso is a powerpc processor and its 32 bits, I'm going to experiment with these packages here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+package/linux-image-3.2.0-23-powerpc-smp and see if I can make any magic happen :). They may require some tweaking to get them fully up and running but we'll see. if we can pull it off without having to write our own ASM code from the ground up, that would be ideal.

As far as those who've disappeared, I know exactly what you mean by that. I've been following console hacking scenes since middle school (i'm now 27) and many have come and gone, but this is something I have a passion for and I don't plan on straying away from it any time soon. Of course, you not knowing me in person, are stuck with my word only, but time will tell, that I'm not going anywhere.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually going to play around with that tomorrow. Seeing as the Espresso is a powerpc processor and its 32 bits, I'm going to experiment with these packages here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/ package/linux-image-3.2.0-23-powerpc-smp and see if I can make any magic happen :). They may require some tweaking to get them fully up and running but we'll see. if we can pull it off without having to write our own ASM code from the ground up, that would be ideal.

As far as those who've disappeared, I know exactly what you mean by that. I've been following console hacking scenes since middle school (i'm now 27) and many have come and gone, but this is something I have a passion for and I don't plan on straying away from it any time soon. Of course, you not knowing me in person, are stuck with my word only, but time will tell, that I'm not going anywhere.
I hope it is going to go well, thanks for update TSK :-)

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope it is going to go well, thanks for update TSK :-)

No problem :). Im glad that we've sorted out our differences. Ive been at school all day so i didnt have a chance to do it yet, but ill set one of the packages to download and install overnight. Ill post back with the results asap

UPDATE: Something appears to be up with the repo that I need to get the SMP package from and downloading debian files through iceweasel/firefox is excruciating under Trinux in its current state. I have to be up at 5am tomorrow for class. I'm calling it quits for tonight. I'll try again when I get up tomorrow, before I leave for the day

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem :). Im glad that we've sorted out our differences. Ive been at school all day so i didnt have a chance to do it yet, but ill set one of the packages to download and install overnight. Ill post back with the results asap

UPDATE: Something appears to be up with the repo that I need to get the SMP package from and downloading debian files through iceweasel/firefox is excruciating under Trinux in its current state. I have to be up at 5am tomorrow for class. I'm calling it quits for tonight. I'll try again when I get up tomorrow, before I leave for the day
School and real life first ;-) It was never personal. People are working with what they have and it is cool that they come around and share what they can without tipping their hand too much. My gut says everyone here now are serious and seem to be very kind. Frustration with others had me acting like a dick head but it was not like "I am angry at TSK." Keep it up. Edit: your passion and commitment are refreshing and what is needed.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
School and real life first ;-) It was never personal. People are working with what they have and it is cool that they come around and share what they can without tipping their hand too much. My gut says everyone here now are serious and seem to be very kind. Frustration with others had me acting like a dick head but it was not like "I am angry at TSK." Keep it up. Edit: your passion and commitment are refreshing and what is needed.

Thanks Ray Lewis!

Unfortunately, Apt-get still isn't working the way it should this morning, no difference. I think I may have broken Apt-get last night. I tried killall apt-get and fixing any broken packages but to no avail. Looks like I'm going to have to rewrite the trinux image to my sd card and try again when I get a chance :/

UPDATE: SMP is still a work in progress (of course :P). I had to move my Wii U into a room where I can't get ethernet access for the time being. I tried to download a .deb file for powerpc smp on my laptop manually and then use dpkg under Trinux (on the Wii U), it appears to install fine, but lscpu is still only reporting 1 core at 729mhz. I'm thinking there are some other dependencies required that it couldn't download due to the lack of internet. I'm going to have to move the Wii U back (when I get a chance) and try using apt-get again to install the meta package for this and see what happens....

Reactions: Ray Lewis

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

Just dropping in to let you know I HAD Tri-core support earlier in the night and Trinux was running much better than before, but unfortunately, my trinux setup croaked on me and I had to rewrite it from 1.4b. I'm trying to recreate what I did earlier, and back it up immediately but Trinux is not cooperating at the moment. I'm not 100% sure what went wrong, but I plugged in a mouse that apparently wasn't compatible and my GUI died completely. I couldn't boot into the trinux GUI (lxde) with or without the mouse after that, so I'm back to square one.

Due to the poor performance of trinux without tri-core, i'm fighting tooth and nail to get it set up again ><. Its killing me, a video will be made and uploaded once I get it back up and running. This is great news for homebrew indeed!

EDIT: Don't misunderstand me here, there are still a LOT of bugs to be worked out with trinux but this appears to be a major breakthrough!

Also I realized that for whatever reason lscpu doesn't report the number of cores under Trinux, just the clock speed etc, but I saw a major spike in performance after setting this up and I was able to multiple cores operating using some other commands.

I'm reinstalling support for Tri-core right now, Trinux is finally cooperating again <3

UPDATE: It looks like the ETA on the re-installation is about 50 mins *facepalm.* Trinux is being stupid again and my download speed under it is crippled, this is another common bug, I think its the result of the limited ram and swap space we have to work with right now....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-.../19YfUPTyTj8/w515-h858-no/20141201_214642.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-.../19YfUPTyTj8/w515-h858-no/20141201_214642.jpg

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dayum that's an awesome breakthrough, keep it up :P

Thanks, now we just need to fix all the bugs, create a larger swap file and wait for the kernel exploit for cafeOS XD

UPDATE: After the excruciating download process (screw you trinux, its a 60mb file really!?) its finally installing the necessary packages.... Once complete, I will reboot, do a super quick test, then back this sucker up....

UPDATE 2: Installation complete, rebooting, everybody cross your fingers............

UPDATE 3: MISSION SUCCESS!!!!!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1427803643_da3dd0b3633fe8348169b20bb55fb649

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Also doing like 320 dollars worth of coke in half a day lol damn it
    hmmm 360 even lol
    Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That is cheap, I used to pay $100 for a tine.
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ativan is pretty legit
    +1
    The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty OK to be honest.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty...