Hacking WarioWare Get It Together Text Editing Problem

YoshisaurKFireball

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've been having a problem trying to edit the text in WarioWare Get It Together; the problem being that the files are stored as ".wmbt" files and not .msbt files like other Switch games use.

Looking at the beginning of the file in a hex editor shows that the structure appears to be similar to that of an MSBT file (even beginning with the standard "MsgStdBn" header), and the text is all fully visible. However, since everything seems to be handled differently, no MSBT editors or the like will recognise it or be able to do anything with it, and trying to edit the text through the hex editor will cause the game to crash if repacked back in.

Seeing as this game is apparently the only one that uses this file format, it's not been documented thoroughly and I'm struggling to understand how it works/what's different and why I seem to be unable to edit it; any help would be much appreciated.

YoshisaurKFireball

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you could send 2-3 files from different languages it would be very helpful to at least check if it's something pheasible to reverse.

Alright
Attached is the English (US) wmbt file for microgame titles, the German wmbt file for Mission titles, and the Japanese wmbt file for the menu text

...that would be the case if this site allowed for me to upload those types of files anyway

PaperSplash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having this issue with the recently released WarioWare: Move It!, which uses the same ".wmbt" format.

EDIT: After some additional trial and error, I can confirm wmbt.py by Xzonn on Github works for exporting the text files for both Get It Together and Move It. You just have to run the Python script in each language folder where the .wmbt files are, without any arguments (dragging and dropping each individual .wmbt file onto the script will not work either), and you should get all the .wmbt files exported to a single .txt file. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to edit the .txt file and then repack it into the .wmbt files.

Last edited by PaperSplash,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really...