Hacking Discussion we need a good cfw and community

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Wow you weren't here during the Wii haydays were you? The slining against each other were up the wall. Untested software was released almost daily and thankfully to Bushing (may he rest in peace) a lot of Wiis was able to be recovered.
The scene is only as toxic as YOU do it. Atmosphere is around the corner, ReiNX is built from scratch to be modular and why it loads sysmodules that atmosphere made, SXOS steals code and developed a tiny bit of their own, Hekake gets silent updates and if CTCmod maybe contact the magstaff, it might be possible with front news?

I mean look at Edizon. Two unknown guys came from nowhere and made a great tool. It got frontpaged. RetroarchNX got frontpaged etc.

As I said, the community is only as toxic as you make it. And you can be sure as heck I'm going to clean up what I find or get reported.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this approach putting everyone on blast. Maybe you really liked that kamikaze album and trying to bring the same energy to the switch scene.

Could be interesting i can't wait to see the diss thread response.

snails1221

LOVE EVERYONE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CFW(s) we have are more than fine considering the switch itself hasn't even been out for 2 years. With every console hacking scene there will always be an influx of leeches/skids or whatever you prefer to call them.

Last edited by snails1221,

Ric-Are-Those

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what we really need? Patients. No scene started out perfect, the 3DS scene for example started out with CFWs that were just complete mess of code and "script kiddies." It even had a "better" closed-source CFW in Gateway that people used to defend tooth and nail like the TX Team. The striking parallels between the scene is honestly not shocking because it's almost all dominated by the same people/kinds of people. Over time the community CFWs will mature, they will fork, the devs will get their footing, TX team will slowly fade away, and it will be like the current 3DS CFW scene, expect with the Switch scene.
But do we need doctors?

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
switch hacking scene sucks

- Atmosphere: had drama and some of their major developers left the team, delay after delay, nothing for end-user, totally dictatorial and they ban you for shitty reasons
- RajNX: it's atmosphere with sig patches for trolling reinx, totally worthless
- ReiNX: some of script kiddies gathered together and wrote a bootloader with atmosphere sysmodules and named it a cfw, the community is just full of trolls or memes, many of them are under 18, they can't even have a proper release and you'll see lots of sdfiles everywhere without even a version number, their help section is almost full of trolls, overall they have nothing from themselves and they have really poor skills, just look at their head Rei, he released cracked version of sx os as rommenu.nro but the major feature of sx os "XCI Loading" didn't work and started to shout everywhere that i cracked sx os

overall, switch scene needs a real cfw like luma on 3ds, and a good and healthy community not the one with bans, trolls, script kiddies, etc...
While I agree with a lot of the things you said, there's nothing that can really be done to change any of these issues. Large groups of people don't change overnight. Everyone here is aware of how bad the community can be, but there's no changing that.

Also, this whole post could have been worded a lot better to avoid much backlash. If it had a less antagonizing title and just listed problems with each custom firmware without any attacks on communities, you probably would've had some better reception.

You end up complaining about the community instead of criticizing the content. The content isn't at fault for the community's actions, but the way you listed things implies that it is. This is a common problem that I see in many different communities.

Reactions: sleepymanakete

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The game makes the community, and the Switch has no games. Same problem plagued the Wii, 3ds and actually the Wii U was such a non event that it did not rate.

Sure there were some heated discussions during the GBA and DS but everybody eventually had to get back to playing games, hacking games and doing stuff lest they be left behind. It also did not hurt they were class leading devices for homebrew purposes where the same can not be said today.

If you want to do the Herculean, or probably actually Sisyphean, feat of creating a good homebrew SDK, creating an easy to install custom firmware that solves everybody's problems (give or take online), creating an emulator, creating some interesting hacks/hack tools, and after all that still watch andrios sail right on by. Other than that just live up to the oft forgotten rule of the internet -- if you are going to post something then try to make the world a marginally better place with it.
Classic example might be "oh noez I heard about online bans #89549348745987". Don't post in there saying "waste of time", "you know there is a sticky", lame... give the condensed answer you would like to get to that question if you were an intelligent but otherwise unversed in the specifics here and direct them to the stickies if necessary for the further info.

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

- Atmosphere: had drama and some of their major developers left the team, delay after delay, nothing for end-user, totally dictatorial and they ban you for shitty reasons
- ReiNX: some of script kiddies gathered together and wrote a bootloader with atmosphere sysmodules and named it a cfw, the community is just full of trolls or memes, many of them are under 18, they can't even have a proper release and you'll see lots of sdfiles everywhere without even a version number, their help section is almost full of trolls, overall they have nothing from themselves and they have really poor skills, just look at their head Rei, he released cracked version of sx os as rommenu.nro but the major feature of sx os "XCI Loading" didn't work and started to shout everywhere that i cracked sx os

overall, switch scene needs a real cfw like luma on 3ds, and a good and healthy community not the one with bans, trolls, script kiddies, etc...
to be honest, SXOS is the most updated/most stable cfw i've ever used. definitely worth the 20$

JellyPerson

https://discord.gg/BMVma8j
Banned
Trophies
Website
https.htp
XP
Country
Korea, North
I say we delete this thread. It's not contributing anything, it's rousing toxicity instead of like, you know, stopping it, and it's just generally, like, useless.

What we have right now is good, and its probably better than anything the OP can make.

XXXTORTELLINI

╰( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is no one will ever be able to make a cfw that is just magically better than the rest, each cfw has it's own pros and cons. With a community, this thread is a bad part of the community.

Reactions: Deleted User

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Or... you can just buy the games, and then play them with no problem.

Then i'm sure OP can find something else to bitch about
And skip hacked games, games on SD, cheats and all that jazz?

The problem is no one will ever be able to make a cfw that is just magically better than the rest, each cfw has it's own pros and cons. With a community, this thread is a bad part of the community.
It seems like a fairly clear cut set of goals to make a CFW better than your competition. Support all the formats out there, make them easy to easily install and use, make them easy to dump, support modified versions of said same, cheats, file replacement, save management if that is a thing, some kind of network access tool, better chuck in some theming support because the kids do like it for some reason...
Some of that might be accomplished or improved by pointing people at homebrew, some will be better to be baked in, some might need a PC side program to augment them.

While some devs take a stance and will not write a piracy capable tool they all shut up in short order and use whatever is unquestionably the best if it appears, or just use whatever they like.

The only fuzzy edges I can see is if you get something like the 360 unencrypted memory window problem -- the 360's memory was all encrypted which frustrates certain types of homebrew code (emulators using dynamic recompilation being a big one), however such a thing is also a blatant tell by which the console makers could tell by. Detectability vs homebrew efficacy possibly vs some kind of convenience is a fun one but also solved in most cases by giving some kind of dual boot or selectable option.

Ask me what the best word processor is and I will have to figure out your needs, skills (or likely future skills), price point, existing equipment... before making a recommendation. Discussions of best custom firmware are soon rendered irrelevant though and it comes back to what UI you like the best.

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You talk about Rei like the person doesn't know what they are doing, Rei played a big part in the 3ds scene

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
almost everything great in the world was invented/created by someone that someone else considers toxic.
just embrace it and if you don't like something either make it better yourself or don't complain because if you do your contributing to the toxicity you claim to hate.

if the fallout games taught me anything its you need toxicity to create a RadScorpion
who doesn't wanna be rad ;)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Calling Rei a script kiddie is a bit much, yeah? The Switch scene is entirely toxic. It's actually worse than the 3DS and WiiU combined at this point. Maybe the vocal minority need a break? I wasn't around much for the Wii days, so I can't attest to that. The DS and PSP Era were rather glorious. Even with the drama, it was fun to be a part of.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Rome wasn't built in a day, and all that. The Switch scene is still new. Absolutely toxic, sure, but we've not reached critical trash that the 3DS scene got to, yet. Give it time and more people will get involved, and more progress will be made, and things will clear up. I mean, we're what, a year and a half into Switch hacking? That's a feat on its own.
You right
I hope snealum joins the switch scene soon or did he?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work