Weird brightness changes/power draw issues with EZ Flash Jr. and backlit mod GBA?

jdsteel7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I just got my EZ Flash Jr., been testing it on my Funnyplaying ITA backlit AGB-001 GBA. I'm using these Eneloop rechargable batteries.

Often when restarting the flash cart, the screen will automatically dim to the lowest setting. This also happens randomly in games sometimes, worst in Shaunte but also in Links Awakening DX. I haven't seen this ever happen with my Omega DE, so I don't think there's anything wrong with my screen install. The ITA screen is very similar to the IPS V2 from Funnyplaying, select + L lowers the brightenss and select + R increases it. There is also a touch sensor but I'm not accidentally hitting that or anything, so I'm assuming this is a weird power draw issue?

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to why this is happening and whether or not there is a way to fix it?

Edit: I think I solved my issue. See the post below

Last edited by jdsteel7,

jdsteel7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I think I solved my issue. I took apart my GBA and trimmed the touch sensor portion of the ribbon just a hair, and insulated the metal area where it could have come into contact with a small bit of electrical tape. I suspect that the touch sensor was going a little haywire, so securing it a little better and insulating it from coming into contact with any metal components seems to have resolved this. I'll update this thread if I run into any more issues, but for now it seems to be fixed.

Reactions: hippy dave

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Glad you've got it sorted. I've got this ITA kit to install when I have the chance to do the soldering, looking forward to seeing the result. I pulled the original Nintendo screen out of my old DSi instead of buying an after market one, IDK if there's any difference.

jdsteel7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad you've got it sorted. I've got this ITA kit to install when I have the chance to do the soldering, looking forward to seeing the result. I pulled the original Nintendo screen out of my old DSi instead of buying an after market one, IDK if there's any difference.
Thanks! Yeah I don't know if there will be much of a difference, but if your Dsi screen was working fine before then I think it should work fine with the kit.
The Dsi/ITA screen really is a beauty, I think it looks better than the AGS-101 screen and I haven't seen any ghosting or image retention/pixel response issues with it that you hear about with the IPS kits.

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus +1