What console has influenced you most?

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:
Ha, I'm as old as dirt. My first console was an Atari 2600. It was given to me as an Xmas gift in 1980 by my parents at the age of 5. I played Donkey Kong and Pheonix all day and night. That was my best Xmas gift ever and it sealed my fate as a videogamer for life.
Awesome story man (and im not being factitious).

I was born in '85.

Some of my first memories are playing Atari and the NES my sisters got for Christmas even though im pretty sure my dad bought it cause he wanted to play the games haha
rofl.gif

Daidude

Puzzled
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First I had a gameboy advance and got addicted to pokemon ruby that i borrowed off my friend for about 6 months(he hated pokemon ruby so he let me borrow it for as long as i wanted) and played day and night hurting my eyes because the screen was really dark. Then after about 2 years i got the first Nintendo DS when it came out and got pokemon emerald with it( I was a bit stupid getting a gameboy game with a nintendo DS instead of a DS game) which I played for hours on end and that was just the start.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Daidude said:
First I had a gameboy advance and got addicted to pokemon ruby that i borrowed off my friend for about 6 months(he hated pokemon ruby so he let me borrow it for as long as i wanted) and played day and night hurting my eyes because the screen was really dark. Then after about 2 years i got the first Nintendo DS when it came out and got pokemon emerald with it( I was a bit stupid getting a gameboy game with a nintendo DS instead of a DS game) which I played for hours on end and that was just the start.
haha, I bought Minish Cap when i got my DS when it launched.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
431unknown said:
Ha, I'm as old as dirt. My first console was an Atari 2600. It was given to me as an Xmas gift in 1980 by my parents at the age of 5. I played Donkey Kong and Pheonix all day and night. That was my best Xmas gift ever and it sealed my fate as a videogamer for life.

would you play it on the VC or buy the ancient console and replay it there?

I also remember this one time, my little brother wanted a DSPhat. And I gave him mine during his birthday... Next day I realised I hooked him up with a game and he got addicted. So it's partly my fault for why he's a videogame addict now. and he's just 11...
mellow.gif

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
My first Console was the GameBoy Advance but the first console I played was the GBC. I used to borrow my cousin's GBC with Pokemon Yellow every weekend until I got given a GameBoy Advance. My cousin then let me keep Pokemon Yellow.

But my story doesn't end there. 3 Years later someone traded me Pokemon Yellow for Pokemon Gold. Turns out that 'someone' was never seen again when I found out Pokemon Gold was broken. It's still my dream to buy a copy of Pokemon Yellow which works so I can have a nostalgic feeling instead of playing it on an Emulator.

I will never trust a stranger again :'(

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Definitely the Gameboy. I was never privileged enough to have one of these during my childhood. I remember once we had a field trip to a mission that was 2 hours away, so the school allowed kids to bring Gameboys on the bus. Literally everyone on the bus except for me had one, so all I could do was watch other people play. That experience traumatized me, so I'm now a handheld freak.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thankfully i had an NES, but in 1996 xD [was born in 1991]
it was funny, it was an "old-man500", played famoicom cartridges which were either ntsc or J, i played soooo many friggin cool japanese games and could get my hands on cartridges which had more games in 1[not worthless ones], like my fav had 6: smb3, samura pizza cats[only J released], bubble-bobble2, ninja crusaders, super c and a riki-kunio fighting game[still one of my favs to this day...not river city ransom-this was only J released]
and i got it for barely 3$ in USD[like all the rest]

after that i just lived on pc til i got my wii and dsi

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The most influential consoles in my childhood were Commodore 64 and Intellivision mostly. Later, it was Sega Genesis/SegaCD and PS1. I've had access to and have played most of the old consoles over the years up to PS1. Haven't bought a new console since PS1, unless you count the DS.

I know C64 isn't really a console, but it always got lumped together with them back in the day, so I'm gonna do it too. The C64 probably had the MOST influence on my gaming habits. That's when I was the most hardcore with RPG's anyway. I was so hardcore on RPG's that I burned myself out on them on the C64. I just can't get into them anymore......

I was one of those people who stayed with C64 far beyond it's actual lifespan. I had games for it all over the place and BBS's that I knew about where I always got more, so I saw no need to go to another system at the time.

My most memorable gaming experiences came from the C64......ahh, I miss the old days of gaming.....

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
N64.

So many good games but the one game I remember most from the N64 is Jet Force Gemini but really, I don't think any game or console as influenced me, just nostalgia.
Also Goldeneye giving me nightmares.

guinness

Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
The most influential consoles in my childhood were Commodore 64 and Intellivision mostly. Later, it was Sega Genesis/SegaCD and PS1. I've had access to and have played most of the old consoles over the years up to PS1. Haven't bought a new console since PS1, unless you count the DS.

I know C64 isn't really a console, but it always got lumped together with them back in the day, so I'm gonna do it too. The C64 probably had the MOST influence on my gaming habits. That's when I was the most hardcore with RPG's anyway. I was so hardcore on RPG's that I burned myself out on them on the C64. I just can't get into them anymore......

I was one of those people who stayed with C64 far beyond it's actual lifespan. I had games for it all over the place and BBS's that I knew about where I always got more, so I saw no need to go to another system at the time.

My most memorable gaming experiences came from the C64......ahh, I miss the old days of gaming.....

I 100% agree. I was still using my C64 well into the 90's, that's the best part of 15-20 years use. Everything about the machine was great, especially the demo scene. To this day I still like to listen to some of the music created for the C64, and still have some of my own games I created back in the day that I was able to download from the internet.

Long may the C64 reign.

issy12

Trophies
XP
Country
i'm only 14 so my first console was a ps1, crash bandicoot was the best, didn't teach me anything but it was fun and we had a multitap thing and four of us siblings would play crash team racing...the memories!
biggrin.gif

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
issy12 said:
i'm only 14 so my first console was a ps1, crash bandicoot was the best, didn't teach me anything but it was fun and we had a multitap thing and four of us siblings would play crash team racing...the memories!
biggrin.gif

Naughty Dog PWNS. Too bad they sold Crash Bandicoot and not let him die honorably.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Around 4 I started playing our SNES. That really got me into gaming, playing mostly Mega Man X and mario games. Also played our NES, but we didn't have a ton of games.
N64 was released at some point and we got it near release. Played tons of games on it, noticeably LoZ. The N64 was when I started becoming a major gamer. Back with our NES/SNES, I at least went outside often.

Fast forward to the gamecube, and Tales of Symphonia was the first game to introduce me to a good storyline (I think when I played Chrono Trigger on our SNES, I couldn't follow it...was too young).
So ever since ToS, i've been a gamer who loves story in games above all else.

Not technically CONSOLE related, but:
An honorable mention to Ragnarok Online for making me into an online gamer with a bloodlust. Best PvP and character development system to date for an MMO, and it allowed me to get very good at several things like strategizing, math (for build formulas and other things) and hell, teamwork/being social. Which in turn forced me to be literate because it's just plain easier to communicate when you're literate.

Traversal

Soooo cool!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dreamcast, which I got around 4 years old. Mainly because I was stuck with it for so long! I mean, I liked the thing, but after 1 year of having it, all of the other consoles started coming out, and of course, the Dreamcast ended up dying in the market, so I was stuck with the same games until I got a PS2 in 2005.

To be fair though, I did have a lot of great games for the system, and of course, it's thanks to that system I'm now a Sonic fan, (Which now, I'm glad to have been stuck with the Dreamcast so long, or else I would've been exposed to the Sonic games that followed the Dreamcast in the following years, which, at a much younger age, may have ruined my understanding of good games, In my opinion.). I also had Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Powerstone, House of the Dead, etc.

With all that, I'm glad I got stuck with the system for so long, and it's what got me hooked to Video Games ever since, and luckily, with having about two back-ups of the system, It won't be dying on me anytime soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1