what do you guys think about gay marriage??

Status
Not open for further replies.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Hey guys, just wanted to know what you all thought about this. we were talking about it in class today and I was just shocked/disgusted by some people's opinions on it. please post and let us all knw what you think!

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If someone's a gay or lesbian individual who mutually loves another gay or lesbian individual, I see no problem in them expressing their love in the same way straight couples do, including marriage.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
If someone's a gay or lesbian individual who mutually loves another gay or lesbian individual, I see no problem in them expressing their love in the same way straight couples do.
That and it really isn't my business to stop them or anything like that. Their life, not hurting anyone... so yea.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I don't care. I understand people's objections but here's my view on it.

If the word "marriage" is going to be imprinted in law its religious ties should be irrelevent. Since we have marriage as something in law rather than something in religion, it seems terrible to me that homosexual partnerships should be denied this.
Here in Britain our workaround to avoid annoying the religious people is to have gay marriage known as "Civil Partnership". It grants exactly the same rights as married people have. I think this is fair and alright but we still have that "marriage" thing in our law. A man and a woman get married, they don't get a Civil Partnership. I think that if there's going to be all this religious debate about it we should have it that the standard, law thing is a Civil Partnership. Marriage then becomes a religious tie and not a legal one and people stop complaining as much about how its against the Bible's definition of marriage. Heterosexuals and Homosexuals then have the same rights in law and there's not as much whining about it. It then becomes a religious matter about the definition of a marriage.

There are many married Atheist couples who I'm sure don't care about the religious ties that the name of their partnership has and wouldn't care that if it was just called a partnership to avoid religious ties. If you do want that religious tie then you get married in a Church but in law its still a partnership the same as any.

Problem is that this would be seen as a downgrade of marriage by many people, even those non-religious so my cold logic probably has no ground to stand on.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wasnt there a thread like this a while back any way

i support i believe love comes in all genders if a guy loves a guy well guess what thats the shape and size of their love

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I'm not into the whole marriage thing since I don't think a paper/a ceremony is needed to be bonded with someone (oddly enough I really want to marry my gf, as skeptical I am about it and as young as I am)

But if you're gay and want to marry your couple, by all means go ahead, it's your life. You're another person like I am and you have the same rights everyone has.

Every time I for some reason watch a video which is related to homosexuality and check the comments I find myself severely disgusted. Also, I found spanish speaking comunities to be much more homophobic than english speaking ones, can't say that as a fact though.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, another LGBT thread. I expect this to be locked fairly quick.

100% for it, with LGBT rights/anti-discrimination/adoption/etc.
But you are not going to find many gay people who are against those either
wink.gif

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MFDC12 said:
wink.gif

May be a generational thing, but my gay uncle is well against gay marriage. This is me badly paraphrasing him: You have pretty much the same rights as a married couple/civil partnership by just living together and declaring that you are living as a couple other here. I think he thinks that should be good enough, and gay people shouldn't want to emulate a straighter lifestyle.

Not my views, though it does make a strange sort of sense. I honestly think he's a bit doolaly.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have NO trouble with the homosexual lifestyle, and could easily strip at the pool in the men's change room beside a gay man and it wouldn't bug me if he looked.

Marriage though, if you mean the in a church sort, I often wonder, do they seriously not mind that religion spits on them and their existence?
Sure some gays might wish to be religious, but, isn't a gay person in a church a bit like a black guy wanting to join the clan?

I support them having the option to marry as a civil marriage though. Why not? There's no reason to think being a married couple that is both genders makes those persons 'better' or more 'deserving' of a wedded union. I have seen moooooore than enough persons married, that are male female, that have gone on to become parents and one can only think ' for the sake of the race, have them sterilized!'.

So I have no beef with homosexual marriage.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
MFDC12 said:
wink.gif

May be a generational thing, but my gay uncle is well against gay marriage. This is me badly paraphrasing him: You have pretty much the same rights as a married couple/civil partnership by just living together and declaring that you are living as a couple other here. I think he thinks that should be good enough, and gay people shouldn't want to emulate a straighter lifestyle.

Not my views, though it does make a strange sort of sense. I honestly think he's a bit doolaly.

Yeah, I've met gay men like that too, but I think my wording was off, I meant to say not many gay men were against like adoption/anti-discrimination and stuff
smile.gif

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ May 16 2011, 02:39 PM)
Sure some gays might wish to be religious, but, isn't a gay person in a church a bit like a black guy wanting to join the clan?
Not exactly.
There are quite a few denominations that are pretty accepting of homosexuality, not to mention a lot of church's 'hate' the sex part, not the actual connection (like love) between two men or two women.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well as humans we're animals. If other animals can be homosexual and not be segregated and have the same rights, I don't see why it should be any different for humans.

Uchiha Obito

Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I see it, gay marriage isn't that big of a deal. Still, like previously said, it should have another name...

Since no gays try to do something with me, I'm ok with them... That's why I don't get drunk, there's more gays per group (1 in 4 people) now than there was 10 years before... I'm scared that my hole could get larger :S

So, gay marriage no, gay *insert name here*, yes.

EDIT: This is my opinion, I except respect from you guys, since I respect other ideals too.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds pretty gay if you ask me.

Nah, let them be happy. They're allowed to date and stuff, why not allow them to marry? What's so different about a gay couple compared to a straight couple?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goten said:
As far as I see it, gay marriage isn't that big of a deal. Still, like previously said, it should have another name...

Since no gays try to do something with me, I'm ok with them... That's why I don't get drunk, there's more gays per group (1 in 4 people) now than there was 10 years before... I'm scared that my hole could get larger :S

So, gay marriage no, gay *insert name here*, yes.

EDIT: This is my opinion, I except respect from you guys, since I respect other ideals too.
What? Even if you called it different, it still the same thing/meaning. Imo it pointless to do so.

And a girl can leave you with a bigger hole too.
rolleyes.gif

Imo you shouldn't get drunk regardless.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm only uncomfortable with gay people when/if they are checking me out suggestively, talking loudly about their gay excursions in public, displaying or flaunting their affections for one another in an over-the-top manner. But that's all it is, an uncomfortable feeling on my part, I don't let it dictate my actions.

But on the flip-side, I would imagine that if I was talking loudly and saying stuff like, "My girlfriend and I were in bed together and we...blah, blah, blah", or displaying my affections for my girlfriend in public in an over-the-top manner or looking at a gay couple with contempt or hatred, ect. that a gay person would be just as disgusted to see/hear it as I am to hear about their personal stuff. So I just don't do it.

But you know, there are some people (particularly older people) who take offense to ANY public displays of affection, regardless of gender preference. Unfortunately, those kinds of people tend to be "in power" and make more of and issue out of all this than it deserves. Really, as far as I'm concerned, gay marriage is a non-issue and shouldn't be such a heated or publicly argued debate, especially in this day and age when people are supposed to be more enlightened and tolerant than we ever have been before in previous decades. It is the deplorable reality that there are many people who are neither enlightened, nor tolerant.

The ONLY time I take serious offense to a gay person's actions is if they try to hit on me. Even then, I try to be respectable and let them know I'm straight and I would appreciate it if they would stop. But if they KNOW I'm not gay and continue to hit on me anyway, then there's a problem. But only then. I would expect a gay person to be similarly offended if I kept trying to hook them up with the opposite sex, even though I KNEW they were gay.

Mutual respect, you know? Just agree to disagree about gender selection and let it go, keep your potentially offensive feelings and/or actions to yourself. What a gay person does in the privacy of their lives is of no concern of mine. Who am I to deny/debate their chance at happiness in marriage if that is what they choose to do? If they want to get married, that's none of my business and I can only hope they are genuinely happy with their decision.

Let me refer once again to a song by Joe Walsh:
[youtube]Fzvkqq9BOdI[/youtube]
Try to think of all disagreements in the manner that song was intended and everyone will get along much better. Look at it as a lesson to be learned and realize that we ALL forget that lesson at one time or another. ALL of us do. No one sees eye-to-eye on every subject, that's why we have so many debates and arguments in the world about every little thing. One can only TRY to be above all the petty hate and bickering. Gay or straight, black or white, rich or poor, there are two sides to every story.

I hope everyone who reads this understands how objective I was trying to be about this ridiculously sensitive subject. I will not apologize for being honest, but I am truly sorry if anything I said here offends anyone, as that was not my intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: