pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
I feel I should point out why the majority of people say "just use luma".
Luma is one file, drag and drop. All the others require extra files that users need to track down.
I'm sorry but if you need help setting up corbenik, that means you shouldn't be using it.
Reinand got/gets a lot of hate for how rei acts/acted. I would rather have toxic users than a toxic dev any day.

There is a reason the guide uses luma, it is one file you drag and drop. You don't need any other files or chain loaders. Those reasons are also why it is so popular.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I agree with @Lilith Valentine on this one. while I do use luma, that's because its basically my only option. If I had the skills, I would use reiNand and build up a private fork from there. However, I don't have the skills to do this, so for now I'm on luma. Corbenik was another option, but its dev has abandoned it and only one nightly is stable enough to use.

Reactions: The Catboy

1x7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
kenn.pro
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I agree with @Lilith Valentine on this one. while I do use luma, that's because its basically my only option. If I had the skills, I would use reiNand and build up a private fork from there. However, I don't have the skills to do this, so for now I'm on luma. Corbenik was another option, but its dev has abandoned it and only one nightly is stable enough to use.

Nobody disagrees with people using what CFW works best. However, it doesn't change the fact that 95% of users would be right to "just use luma" and there's nothing wrong with saying it to people.

If a more advanced user seeks more fine grained control, they will search for it, and will undoubtedly find it because there is plenty of information both here and elsewhere regarding alternatives.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Saying "just use Luma" is most definitely a bad thing, in my opinion.

Some time ago, a friend of mine asked me which cfw he should use (since there were no guides back then), and I took it upon myself to research CFWs, give me friend a tl;dr and when he asked for my personal suggestion, I'd say "well, what exactly do you want to do?", and we'd part from there.

A good while ago there were a few CFWs to choose from, we'd have RxTools, we'd have CakesFW, there was reiNAND, SaltFW, the back then named AuReiNAND, and Corbenik. Slowly for one reason or another, these CFWs died out, some were simply not updated (like RxTools), others were dropped for maybe personal reasons (like Corbenik), or maybe some were dropped for reasons unknown to us (maybe the devs were attacked by a few rotten apples?).

Currently, the only (public) CFWs that work with B9S (that I know of) are reiNAND and Luma3DS, at this point, Luma3DS offers a lot of features that reiNAND simply does not, I'm sure we all know about the recent Rosalina, or the ever useful layerdfs implementation of Luma, which with the ever increasing interest for Romhacks, would give the already popular Luma3DS a boost in popularity.

Why would you not use Luma3DS?

Maybe you've seen something in the code that you did not like, and thought you could go for something that implemented it in a "cleaner" way.
Maybe you just want a minimalist cfw that does something specific, instead of all the features Luma3DS will give you.
Maybe you just want full control over what features are and aren't enabled, as opposed to Luma3DS having almost everything enabled by default.
Maybe you're running your own personal little cfw.
Maybe X CFW has Y Feature that Luma3DS does not, but you really want to have (back in the day RxTools had builtin content decryption options, which many cfw would lack).

As of now, to everyone Running b9s, I would suggest Luma3DS in a heartbeat, but not just "because", but rather, because of all the features it contains and the fact that it is being updated constantly, and the devs listen to the community's feedback.

That said, I do agree that "just use Luma" should really not be the answer, but rather, "there is X, Y and Z CFW, personally I would recommend Luma3DS because...", not only are you suggesting your preference in a respectful way, but you would also be informing the user of possible options that they might want to research on.

1x7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
kenn.pro
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Saying "just use Luma" is most definitely a bad thing, in my opinion.

Some time ago, a friend of mine asked me which cfw he should use (since there were no guides back then), and I took it upon myself to research CFWs, give me friend a tl;dr and when he asked for my personal suggestion, I'd say "well, what exactly do you want to do?", and we'd part from there.

A good while ago there were a few CFWs to choose from, we'd have RxTools, we'd have CakesFW, there was reiNAND, SaltFW, the back then named AuReiNAND, and Corbenik. Slowly for one reason or another, these CFWs died out, some were simply not updated (like RxTools), others were dropped for maybe personal reasons (like Corbenik), or maybe some were dropped for reasons unknown to us (maybe the devs were attacked by a few rotten apples?).

Currently, the only (public) CFWs that work with B9S (that I know of) are reiNAND and Luma3DS, at this point, Luma3DS offers a lot of features that reiNAND simply does not, I'm sure we all know about the recent Rosalina, or the ever useful layerdfs implementation of Luma, which with the ever increasing interest for Romhacks, would give the already popular Luma3DS a boost in popularity.

Why would you not use Luma3DS?

Maybe you've seen something in the code that you did not like, and thought you could go for something that implemented it in a "cleaner" way.
Maybe you just want a minimalist cfw that does something specific, instead of all the features Luma3DS will give you.
Maybe you just want full control over what features are and aren't enabled, as opposed to Luma3DS having almost everything enabled by default.
Maybe you're running your own personal little cfw.
Maybe X CFW has Y Feature that Luma3DS does not, but you really want to have (back in the day RxTools had builtin content decryption options, which many cfw would lack).

As of now, to everyone Running b9s, I would suggest Luma3DS in a heartbeat, but not just "because", but rather, because of all the features it contains and the fact that it is being updated constantly, and the devs listen to the community's feedback.

That said, I do agree that "just use Luma" should really not be the answer, but rather, "there is X, Y and Z CFW, personally I would recommend Luma3DS because...", not only are you suggesting your preference in a respectful way, but you would also be informing the user of possible options that they might want to research on.

As I mentioned, 95% of CFW Users do not look through code, care about absolute console control, run their own private CFW, or anything else you mention.

Don't take this the wrong way, I agree with you on the basis that if someone, for whatever-the-hell reason, doesn't want a feature, or wants a specific feature, then obviously they would find something that suits their needs. This, however, goes back to my point - if this does apply to anybody, they would research. "just use luma" does not translate to "luma is your only option", but it's the correct thing to say to 95% of the userbase, because they do not fit into the categories you mentioned, and it would further confuse them.

Last edited by 1x7,

JCCG1989

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I am glad to see you don't respect PMs
I think I am done here. It's very apparent that this is a hopeless cause

Hopeless cause or whatever, you're pushing your credibility into a botomless abyss, you tend to complain about people in your blogs and your "anti-bashing" post, still post like this show you belong to that very same people. And this is not even the only case. But I have the same silly argument you use in defense - It's just my opinion -

D

Deleted User

I agree with Valentine in the sense that there shouldn't be a montra about forcing things down somebody's throat. It's been that way with every good thing to come out of the 3DS community.

"Hey guys, I want to make a grid launcher for the HBMenu 2.0"
"You fucking disgrace, just stick with what you have. It isn't broken."

Projects like Luma are great, but what we need to see is the devs to come out and state that their CFW isn't superior to everything, and that people should stop saying just to use theirs. State they are open to competition, and that they do not appreciate the drama caused by the community mantra.

Returnofganon

I pretend like I know what I'm talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember the shit being thrown left and right when luma first came out. I was using reinand and whenever I told anyone they would just tell me to switch cfw's. Reinand did what I wanted so I stuck with it until it stopped getting updated. I dont really see any more "cfw wars" due to the fact the community killed off most if not all other cfws

Reactions: lonewolf08

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
So do you guys mean that when a noob comes up with a post asking what cfw to use we should tell them to mind there own business?
In these people's perfect world, every noob would completely understand how to use every cfw and what each feature of each CFW is.

In the real world, this is completely infeasible. Every attempt to give noobs something beyond "copy a few files around" has ended in failure.

Returnofganon

I pretend like I know what I'm talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So do you guys mean that when a noob comes up with a post asking what cfw to use we should tell them to mind there own business?
No but when someone is using a cfw that works and is fine and is just asking a question about how to use it or something, they should be ridiculed into switching cfw's due to lack of help

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Could you add an option to disable Rosalina, then?
I've explained, Aurora has explained, and TuxSH have explained why this is infeasible and won't be implemented. Rosalina doesn't negatively affect anything when not used, and only improves the patching methods. Previous ones were hacky and Rosalina fixes this. Rosalina also gives a standard, sane homebrew environment. Something lacking with *hax

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've explained, Aurora has explained, and TuxSH have explained why this is infeasible and won't be implemented. Rosalina doesn't negatively affect anything when not used, and only improves the patching methods. Previous ones were hacky and Rosalina fixes this. Rosalina also gives a standard, sane homebrew environment. Something lacking with *hax
In that case, I will gladly be sticking with Luma 7.1 (a build that works with B9S 1.2) until such a point that Rosalina is actually useful for me, and/or I am able to disable it.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
As I mentioned, 95% of CFW Users do not look through code, care about absolute console control, run their own private CFW, or anything else you mention.

Don't take this the wrong way, I agree with you on the basis that if someone, for whatever-the-hell reason, doesn't want a feature, or wants a specific feature, then obviously they would find something that suits their needs. This, however, goes back to my point - if this does apply to anybody, they would research. "just use luma" does not translate to "luma is your only option", but it's the correct thing to say to 95% of the userbase, because they do not fit into the categories you mentioned, and it would further confuse them.

I do agree that 95% of the userbase does not care about these things, they just care about "whatever works", however, "just use luma" would still be the wrong answer, a lot of users still don't care about Romhacks, nor do they care much about the Rosalina menu, in which case reiNAND would still work well for them.

"just use luma" basically means "there aren't really any other options, or if they are you shouldn't care", which is most definitely not what we want to convey.

"I would suggest to use Luma", it's the same message, however it is less negative and upfront, while still leaving the possibility of other options.

Reactions: RussiaSushi

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case, I will gladly be sticking with Luma 7.1 (a build that works with B9S 1.2) until such a point that Rosalina is actually useful for me, and/or I am able to disable it.
did rosalina as of v8.1.1 negatively affect your experience when you used it? have you noticed in increase in crashes or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol