Question What qualifies as "Off-topic?"

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reading the "DO NOT BUMP SPAM" and State of the Temp threads, it's got me to thinking. What exactly is an "acceptable" level of off-topic-ness? Some single posts get deleted for being off-topic, but in other cases the off-topic-ness can last for several posts in a row and not be moderated at all. Take, for example, something that happened in the State of the Temp thread earlier today. The thread was going smoothly (at least at that moment in time), then all of a sudden we get someone (Foxi4) talking about sex dungeons, which is clearly off-topic, and then he gets called out on it. In response to being called out for being off-topic, he responds thusly:
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. I'm trying to keep the discussion lighthearted because we're not really facing a crisis - we've been through spells like this before (Pokefloods, for instance). Exchanging opinions is great, but there's some room for a giggle or two too. That's the core issue we're facing, I think - people being unable to strike a balance between the serious and the funny.

The way that came out, it sounds as if he's saying that it's okay to joke about non-crisis topics, but the vast majority of threads aren't about crisis situations. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming him. I know Foxi4 is not the voice of GBAtemp and his word isn't the absolute word of God, but it brings up a question that I think we should get a solid, definite answer to.

How exactly do we balance on and off-topic posts? When is it okay to talk about sex dungeons? When is it okay for someone to make a post in a thread that doesn't contribute to the conversation and only serves to get a laugh or a "like?"

Reactions: Feeling it!

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
In a way, Foxi had barely gotten off track; people were talking about becoming mods, relevant to the topic, and it's pretty much a Temp tradition to bring in sex dungeons when talking about mods :P

But seriously, what qualifies as off topic is a judgement call by the mods. Perhaps in a thread full of garbage the mods might be more strict with deleting it but in a serious thread that produces a long, thoughtful discussion (like the one previously mentioned) a joke or two is no reason to go off your rocker, especially in a situation where the mood needs to be lightened. There's no special GBAtemp definition of off-topic.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's handled not only on a case-by-case basis, but also has a lot to do with the tone of the thread, and even how the on-duty moderators are feeling at that moment. It's quite a fluid definition.
The fact that "off-topic" has such a fluid definition is the problem. People see others making jokes and getting away with it and then try to do the same thing themselves and end up with very different outcomes. The same exact joke might be allowed in one thread and not allowed (i.e. deleted) in another, solely at the whims of whichever mod happens to be active at the time and what his or her (do we even have any "her" mods?) mood is.
In a way, Foxi had barely gotten off track; people were talking about becoming mods, relevant to the topic, and it's pretty much a Temp tradition to bring in sex dungeons when talking about mods :P

But seriously, what qualifies as off topic is a judgement call by the mods. Perhaps in a thread full of garbage the mods might be more strict with deleting it but in a serious thread that produces a long, thoughtful discussion (like the one previously mentioned) a joke or two is no reason to go off your rocker, especially in a situation where the mood needs to be lightened. There's no special GBAtemp definition of off-topic.
The sex dungeon example was just an example, not the sole reason for me typing this. I wasn't offended by the joke. As a sadomasochist myself, the idea of a sex dungeon is rather intriguing. But that's beside the point.

I knew before creating this thread that what was to be considered off-topic would be handled on a case-by-case basis, but clearly from both of your responses you already have some kind of rules for certain cases. Knowing those would at least help some people in the way (and place) they make off-topic posts, whether they're in the form of smartass comments, jokes, references, memes, etc. Having a definite lists of do's and don'ts, instead of just saying "It's only okay when it's okay" might help with all of the "shitposting" that people have been complaining about as of late.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47W4poKa0A4