Hardware What's After the 3DS?

gempugs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retain the clamshell design for the sake of portability and the second screen is actually useful to display minor ui or allow for more functional inputs to free up the physical buttons for other in-game moves usage or macros e.g. instead of pressing start and turn on voice chat or drink a bottle, simply touch preset icons at the bottom screen to use them Upgrade both screens to at least HD like what smartphones have nowadays with improved graphics Upgrade the camera for high resolution picture taking and seamless video recording, with flash that can be used as a torch too Maybe make both of the screens touch-based as well and enable the system be split into half whenever you want e.g. using it like a normal single screened smartphone Add voice chat with messenger that can be used outside of games, basically like what a smartphone can do e.g. share photos, videos, screenshots whatever you want Add real time screenshot taking for any games Add shovelware filter Add real multi-task aka hardware upgrade Add qi charging No more friend codes just ids and passwords for everything include eshop so that you dont lose the device along with all the games if it's lost

RichardLaughter_

Trophies
XP
Okay, I've read half of the comments in the thread and here is my opinion on nintendo and mobile gaming as a whole.

It will still be a while before Smartphone gaming reaches that point of being the only form of handheld gaming and this is why I believe this to be the case.

1.Battery life while playing games on a smartphone is absolutely garbage. Id argue that battery drainage is faster than the first playstation vita.
2.Lack of controls other than touch screen. There is controller support for some games, but I feel that defeats the purpose. You might as well be playing on a tv.
3.AAA titles still haven't migrated over yet. You do see a few mobile version spinoffs of popular franchises, but other than that, the biggest names you'll see is sega and square.
4.Phones without a contract are expensive as hell. (at least the newest ones)
5.Hardware/New phone models come out too fast. By the time a major developer finishes a game, the hardware it was designed for would be out of date. (Assuming it takes 2 years or more to develop)

As for what the next Nintendo handheld will be, I really can't decide on what I would prefer. I personally like the dual screens, and 3d, but I think it would be awesome if they made an hd handheld with tv support in shape of a tablet with controls. It's a tough choice. Q.Q

Reactions: TemplarGR

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Nintendo will release their fusion project. This won't be a hybrid, as many suggest. I believe there will be a hybrid console at some point, but the tech right now is too far away for that. What we are going to get though, is a set of TV Console/Handheld which will be able to run the same cartridges.

I believe that around the 2017/18 timeframe, Nintendo will release both the Wii U and the 3DS succesor in the form of this fusion. The "dock" part, will be based on the new ARM v8 SoC AMD will produce on 16nmFF+ tech, with a beefed up gpu and a shrinked Wii U cpu for backwards compatibility. The handheld part will be based on the same SoC family, but it will use obviously a low powered variant of AMD's SoC. Probably A72 or A57 for the console vs A53 for the handheld. With a lower powered gpu and lower RAM. I believe the handheld will have one HD touchscreen, and will be able to function like the Wii U gamepad if connected to the console. Same inputs as the New 3DS (probably a better c-stick) and the 3D stays. It will be backwards compatible with 3DS only, DS will be dropped.

The game library will be common for both parts. They will use the same OS, the same CPU family, and the same Eshops and Game cartridges. Cartridges for the 3DS top at 8gb, i believe the fusion ones will have also 16,32, and even 64gb roms, just in case. This is plenty of room for PS4+ level games. Games for this fusion family will be the same, just with 2 sets of graphical settings, one for the dock and one for the handheld. Nintendo will be able to release their games far more frequently and avoid having to rely on third party during their draughts.

AMD has already announced they have 2 design wins for their SoCs. Rumours have spread around that Nintendo and AMD will cooperate for their next consoles. Nintendo has been using AMD gpus for a long time, for three console generations in fact. AMD will enter the ARM SoC market soon. Nintendo has been using ARM cpus on their handhelds since the GBA. With the 64 bit ARM processors on 20nm and 16nm, for the first time ARM processors will be able to compete with low power laptop/desktop processors. They will be competitive with ARM's Jaguar that powers next gen consoles... They will be able to run the same code with the smartphone chips... Does it make sense now?

Nintendo will be able to use the ARM cpus they already have experience with, with the AMD gpus they already have experience with, will be able to run the same code on both console form factors and handheld form factors, and cartridges will have plenty of space, actually more than bluray, in current prices, but with far better read speed... Nintendo loves cartridges on their consoles... Do the math...

PS: Backwards compatibily is possible on one single HD 3D touch screen. Just show both screens either side by side or top down. Problem solved. I believe the next handheld will have the Wii U gamepad form factor...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Just googled it. Sounds awesome. I hope they do make a hybrid handheld/console for next gen.

I would love it if they let us use the next handheld as a full-fledged next-gen controller for the system, optional of course, but always welcomed. Like, say you have a brother playing a game, and you wanna join him, but there's only one gamepad. You could just grab your latest handheld 3DS successor, sync to the console like a Wiimote, and boom, two players playing Smash 5. It sounds like a dream, but completely realistic in every aspect.

MidLevelCrisis

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tbh i don't really care, I just want it to have 3D like the 3ds, hopefully at a high resolution. And 2 control sticks..... I really LOVE the 3d effect, though it could easily be ditched without losing 3ds game compatability, since the ds gamecards fit in the same slot i'd say it should play DS games too, but who knows. The WiiU doesnt play gamecube games either.

OncRN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the concept of the hybrid handheld/home console is a huge opportunity. And as much interest as there is in retro gaming, Nintendo should really look at providing universal game service in that console. Imagine being able to play the entire catalog of Nintendo games (even arcade) on a single console. Make the older system titles available as DLC, and keep the price reasonable, say 1.99-4.99 each- or start a service like Netflix that allows you to play a certain number of titles per week/month. Add something like Fusion as the portable piece, and I think that would appeal to almost everybody.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I think the concept of the hybrid handheld/home console is a huge opportunity. And as much interest as there is in retro gaming, Nintendo should really look at providing universal game service in that console. Imagine being able to play the entire catalog of Nintendo games (even arcade) on a single console. Make the older system titles available as DLC, and keep the price reasonable, say 1.99-4.99 each- or start a service like Netflix that allows you to play a certain number of titles per week/month. Add something like Fusion as the portable piece, and I think that would appeal to almost everybody.

That would be a very powerful console, being able to emulate many different games. Brilliant idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!