what's the best computer browser in your opinion and why?

Trophies
XP
Firefox has telemetry?

Yeah, it does. But it's not nearly as bad as Chrome / Chromium based browsers. I think you can turn the bulk of it off as well. Personally I don't mind the telemetry part on Firefox that much, I just mainly use Waterfox because it's a lot lighter on resource usage while still giving me basically everything Firefox does.

For reference Waterfox with 3 tabs on i3 is only using about 700 MiB of RAM, while Firefox is on about 1.5 GiB.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it does. But it's not nearly as bad as Chrome / Chromium based browsers. I think you can turn the bulk of it off as well. Personally I don't mind the telemetry part on Firefox that much, I just mainly use Waterfox because it's a lot lighter on resource usage while still giving me basically everything Firefox does.

For reference Waterfox with 3 tabs on i3 is only using about 700 MiB of RAM, while Firefox is on about 1.5 GiB.
THREE TABS IS 700MB? good lird

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use a fork of Firefox called Waterfox. Basically just a lighter version of Firefox with less telemetry.
I used Waterfox for a while, but it didn't play nicely with some of my add-ons... plus, I realized I could configure the OG Firefox to be almost as lite.
Before that I used Commodo's Firefox fork, IceDragon. Honestly, I'd still be using it now if it weren't for the fact that they've not updated it in literally years, making using it dangerous.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only firefox spinoff that did anything of interest is/was pale moon that stuck with the older interface language and aimed for speed.

Had some issues with it so went back to firefox, which is slower but oh well.

I mostly just go with firefox due to inertia -- swapped when it rose to prominence in the mid 2000s and not found a compelling reason to swap since. My addons changed a bit over the duration with the only consistent one being advert blocking an absolute must.
These days mostly have things to improve video sites, sponsorblock being the most important but there is a nice enhancer for youtube now that allows 3 times playback (got used to it when I had a phone on holiday with newpipe sponsorblock version and 3x allows more content than the 2x I had got used to) at the click of a button and volume boost which is nice.
Used to have noscript but eh, and used to do other privacy ones but eh, do seem to have greasemonkey installed again (allows scripts to customise websites) so go that I guess. Youtube-dl for downloading rather than sites or scripts these days.

Reactions: Xzi

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Which add-ons didn't work for you? In my experience almost every one I've tried works for me.
The ViolentMonkey/GreaseMonkey scripts I run had issues with it. Might have just been those specific scripts, but it felt like enough of an issue to just run FF and use Ghostery/Ublock to reduce the telemetry and retain my scripts.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be the first person to say Edge. I switched from Chrome a few years ago.

I'll probably end up on Firefox at some point, once manifest v3 breaks content filtering plugins on all Chromium based browsers.
Even as decent as Edge is, most people still don't use it. 😆

Microsoft does try by forcing Windows 11 users to make use of it. lol
Post automatically merged:

I'll be the first person to say Edge. I switched from Chrome a few years ago.

I'll probably end up on Firefox at some point, once manifest v3 breaks content filtering plugins on all Chromium based browsers.
Even as decent as Edge is, most people still don't use it. 😆

Microsoft does try by forcing Windows 11 users to make use of it. lol

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I forgot Edge even existed as I haven't even touched Windows in over 4 years. How is it recently?
It's honestly pretty decent, but the fact that Microsoft tries to force people to use it just makes me want to avoid it.

Brave (Chromium-based) is my go-to browser as I've said and I have it synched on my Windows computer and Android devices, so I'm very satisfied with it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Firefox.
One word: Addons.
I used Chrome for a while, the reason I ultimately ended up on Firefox again was addons. I missed them the entire time I was using Chrome. A lot of the addons I use just aren't possible in Chrome.
Google are also looking to remove several adblock extensions/addons in Chromium-based browsers, or break their functionality.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to the best browser for your computer, there's one that stands out from the rest, offering exceptional performance, security and versatility - Google Chrome. As the undisputed leader in browsers, Chrome combines speed, reliability, and a wide range of features that make it the top choice for millions of users around the world. Chrome's syncing capabilities allow users to easily access their bookmarks, browsing history and preferences across multiple devices, including computers, smartphones and tablets. This level of integration provides a consistent experience across browsers and makes it easy to move from one device to another. Many companies that integrate their sites with browsers order mobile development services and often focus on Chrome. The advantages of Chrome are its tight integration with other Google services and its extensive library of extensions and apps. With a clean, intuitive interface, Chrome provides easy navigation and efficient multitasking. A powerful rendering engine makes pages load quickly and browse smoothly, even with multiple tabs open.
yeah okay googlebot

Trophies
XP
When it comes to the best browser for your computer, there's one that stands out from the rest, offering exceptional performance, security and versatility - Google Chrome. As the undisputed leader in browsers, Chrome combines speed, reliability, and a wide range of features that make it the top choice for millions of users around the world. Chrome's syncing capabilities allow users to easily access their bookmarks, browsing history and preferences across multiple devices, including computers, smartphones and tablets. This level of integration provides a consistent experience across browsers and makes it easy to move from one device to another. Many companies that integrate their sites with browsers order mobile development services and often focus on Chrome. The advantages of Chrome are its tight integration with other Google services and its extensive library of extensions and apps. With a clean, intuitive interface, Chrome provides easy navigation and efficient multitasking. A powerful rendering engine makes pages load quickly and browse smoothly, even with multiple tabs open.

mf sounding like he was sponsored, lmfao. Chrome is probably one of the least secure browsers, and it's not light at all. Even with decent specs, it's a memory hog.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Opera and more often firefox for plugins. Opera doesn't have a problem with low memory utilization when stream is reciving after some longer time. Firefox can't deal with that, and swap is working like crazy throtling stream flow and dozens read/write per sec to disk. Chrome? I can't trust it. Opera is a pimped up chrome anyway.

Reactions: tyson_chicken

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've stuck with Firefox based browsers over the years.
Mainly used Firefox, and I used Brave for a while but the whole crypto stuff was too intrusive for me, so I went back to Firefox.
Although, I am currently using LibreWolf in almost all of my devices (except Android), since it's a bit of Firefox without the awful bloat.
There's also Waterfox which some have mentioned already, but Librewolf does it for me and it works with all my usual Firefox extensions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok