When is pirating ok? (discussion)

TeeR

Trophies
XP
Country
Or when the TV Show Season 2 Boxset happens to be a version which doesn't have all the bonus features that it should have.
Case in point, for the SpongeBob DVD I have, Viacom decided to remove all the bonus features except for one 5 minute "Around the World" featurette (yet still leave in "Bonus Features" on the menu) for an entire boxset for one of their most cash oozing beloved shows. Guess those commentaries didn't meet evil Viacom's standards...
I just wonder if that left in graphic means that the files are still lurking on the disc somewhere. I wonder how I could do that...
The UK boxset for Ren & Stimpy is even worse (all removed bonus features including the re-banned episode and apparently "controversial" commentaries, editing already edited episodes to removing an entire song sequence, and all while the DVD says the bonus features are there and all this censorship even though it was a Nickelodeon cartoon and the DVD is rated 12.)

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or when the TV Show Season 2 Boxset happens to be a version which doesn't have all the bonus features that it should have.
Case in point, for the SpongeBob DVD I have, Viacom decided to remove all the bonus features except for one 5 minute "Around the World" featurette (yet still leave in "Bonus Features" on the menu) for an entire boxset for one of their most cash oozing beloved shows. Guess those commentaries didn't meet evil Viacom's standards...
I just wonder if that left in graphic means that the files are still lurking on the disc somewhere. I wonder how I could do that...
The UK boxset for Ren & Stimpy is even worse (all removed bonus features including the re-banned episode and apparently "controversial" commentaries, editing already edited episodes to removing an entire song sequence, and all while the DVD says the bonus features are there and all this censorship even though it was a Nickelodeon cartoon and the DVD is rated 12.)
You're aware it's possible to import dvds from other regions, right?

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Allowed backup. If you buy game, you have right to a copy. When companies charge $60+ a game, prevent making/using backups, won't replace games scratched by disc drives or at least one courtesy replacement...I am for unlocking system and using backups. Especially off hard drives. I understand other side but believe no solid data exists to support notion piracy costs companies significantly. Demos are a step in right direction. Tried NBA 2k 13 (or was it 12?) and could not change camera or options, one quarter only. I was not impressed...played on 360. Playable but could not see enough to justify $60 purchase given no options. Graphics looked Wii-ish. For being more powerful than 360...I was disappointed. Anyway, my two cents.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't know whether I posted already here or not ( too many damn piracy treads on these forums ;) ) , but I wanted to add :
Piracy is OK if you know how to do it !
I do it because I can !
If you don't know about torrents, cracks, usenet , rips, repacks and so on, and are prone to mess up your PC ( or catch viruses all the time by running those tricky files.txt.exe ) to the point that you need to reformat your computer several times a year, better stay away from it :P

Otherwise, like I said before, I can't ignore piracy.........because why would I pay 2 bucks for an hot dog if I can get one for free just around the corner ;) !

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but when I already own a version of the DVD it still counts.
it does? So I can purchase the standard Lord of the Rings boxset and then be fully justified in pirating the extended cut, 12 hour, bluray set since I "already own a version of it"? Justifications really aren't maleable, regardless of the hammer you try and shape them with. But pirates will certainly try. At least be honest with yourself and say, "I want this thing, but I don't want to pay for it, so I think I'll just take it, and then blame the people who made it for not making it to my liking."

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
it does? So I can purchase the standard Lord of the Rings boxset and then be fully justified in pirating the extended cut, 12 hour, bluray set since I "already own a version of it"? Justifications really aren't maleable, regardless of the hammer you try and shape them with. But pirates will certainly try. At least be honest with yourself and say, "I want this thing, but I don't want to pay for it, so I think I'll just take it, and then blame the people who made it for not making it to my liking."

Listen man, I like to download free stuff ok ? Who wouldn't ?
Like I said, piracy is easy , fast ( these days at least ) and convenient ( you can get stuff in your own home without lifting your ass from the chair ) .
Should I feel bad because it's immoral, or damages the industry ? I surely do, but I felt worse for shelling out thousands of dollars for video games over the years, most of which were used as well ( talk about supporting the industry , gamestop can burn to hell ).

Like I said, I believe I still support the video games industry aplenty by buying new consoles ( sometimes several units of the same system , like 4 between DS phat, lite and XL ) and gadgets like dozens of controllers, GH guitars, drums, steering wheels , light guns or joysticks.....
Let alone other collateral stuff like new TVs every once in a while, headphone sets, adapters or even batteries !

So the industry made a shitload of money on me !
Should I feel bad because I download stuff ?
Hell no !
Make it impossible or very difficult to do it ( to the point that it becomes inconvenient ) then *maybe* I'll start buying games again........but then again there is the used market still around....;)

TeeR

Trophies
XP
Country
I see your point, but this what I'm talking about is the exact same specific DVD set.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Piracy threads, yummy.

Piracy is like a lot of things, it depends on the person and the item in question and the source.

I have friends in gaming, actual publishers of games. I never download their games, I don't steal from my friends.

Now on the other hand, I don't know EA for instance, but I know those assholes beat out of one of my publisher buddies several 10s of thousands of bucks in effective cost damage all because you gamers are too fucking stupid to discern the difference between a game called Battlefield, and a game called Battlefield Academy. Well that was the inference given, that you would be too stupid to tell them apart. Hence they sued my buddies company over a name of a game.

Fuck you EA. That action made all your games subject to my no longer liking you. I have no beef stealing your shit (assuming I even want your shit to begin with).

Nintendo is another example of when a company will whore out their name to every dumb ass piece of schlock all because all too often juuuuuust enough sales will result before enough people realize the game was yet again shovelware garbage. I buy the VERY few Nintendo DS games I KNOW to be solid replayable designs. Everything else I am ok with downloading. And if it takes me a year, several years, never, to get around to checking out the damn title and see if it was ever worth it... I have deleted oodles of Nintendo DS titles since 2006. Some are just utter crap. Some are merely worthless. Some are simply not worth the cash.

But you need to understand. I am not religious, I know there is no god, I am far too educated to believe in that drivel, there is no bad guy super nasty person in a horrible place either. The only deterrent to me indulging the power of the internet, is barriers in the real world that matter. And when you consider the nice way governments and corporations will lie and cheat and steal from society, heck I feel zero guilt just not giving a fuck about some laws. It being 'law' doesn't make it magical to me (regardless of how you word some of them eh). So you can get a bug up yer ass over specific words if it floats your boat I suppose, but some of us simply don't even care.

Since 2006 when I bought my first Nintendo DS lite (I have the DSi XL these days) I have bought about 20 games. I still play them. Most of them have unlimited replay potential. You can play Panzer Tactics for instance till hell freezes over, it isn't a play once one only ending type game.

Since 2006 I likely have at least sampled every tactical type game ever made be it wargame, or combat oriented RPG. I have seen scores of arcade like designs. Some of them are really good I admit. But man the crap I have witnessed. The garbage that never should have been allowed to wast shelf space.

The question would have been better phrased, when is it acceptable to not give a shit about the rules.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey, do me a favor? Go around your room and person and list the companies that have made everything you have or use.

When you're done, I'll pull up a list of every single one of them (or at least as many until I get tired) having sued another company over a trademarked name.

'Cause watching you make excuses for not running around naked will be fun.

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Piracy threads, yummy.

*snip*

Wow, so much hate...
Are you seriously blaming gamers for EA suing whatever company it was you're upset over? Really? This is something we did?
You also seem to suggest Nintendo is responsible for every single Nintendo DS game, which is a ridiculous claim. I hope this isn't the case...

And you're giving all the atheists a bad name by implying that everyone who isn't an atheist is uneducated. Why did you even bring up your religion (or lack thereof)?

You actually made some valid points, but it's covered in so much hate and you present it in such an unreasonable way that you just come off as an entitled jerk.
If you had just said something like "I pirate, but I pay for the games I find worth my money", you'd more seem like a reasonable chap who's respectfully stating his viewpoint in this discussion.

TeeR

Trophies
XP
Country
What about when a game is too expensive or unobtainable? I'm thinking of getting Conker's Bad Fur Day (even though it costs £40 at least) and since you can't emulate it properly, I might be getting a rerelease of Shantae when it comes out (especially if it's on DSiWare) but the GameBoy Player disc is around £30 if not more expensive and that's more I paid for than the GameCube plus GameBoy Player itself. As soon as I find a way to hack a GameCube...

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Still going
Energizer_Bunny_animated.gif

Nothing outlasts this conversation.

Seriously, I've had to recharge several batteries since this started ...

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here is a little article to fan the flames :evil: ....http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/02/gdc-nintendo-to-show-efforts-to-expand-range-of-developers

I present this to those who say that Piracy scares away 3rd party devs. In my opinion they use piracy as an excuse for a crappy game's failure by saying ," Man this is the greatest game since Pac Man, but it did not sell good because those no good Pirates... Damn them ... Damn them all to hell."
To clear things up for my point here, The 3DS is NOT hacked and yet they are still having 3rd parties staying away. ;)

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it pirating okay? When you have an eyepatch, pegleg, and or hook for a hand, a really sweet boat with a skull flag, and a crew of cutthroats to do all the work for you.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You know, we can talk about piracy all day long but let's face it, piracy will still be with us. You can limit it but that's about as much as you can do.

This is like terrorist. I remembered one guy from TV (Mayday - Episode Attack Over Baghdad) saying that "you can only limit terrorist to commercially acceptable level".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_NsOxG2zwWA?si=oK21qVNxgd98AyJT