When is pirating ok? (discussion)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would pirate games(HUGE PIRATE OVER HERE D:).

But if you think about it, would the game be better had I not pirated it?
For example, I pirated Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. After about 3-5 months of playing those games, I simply got rid of them. They weren't fun after 5 months, and since I didn't buy it, all I got out of it was fun for those 5 months of me playing it and thats pretty much it. Then when Black and White came out and I actually BOUGHT it, they all of a sudden had another flavor to the game. I've been playing on my Pokemon White game for about over a year and I have yet to be bored of the game(or stop playing it altogether).

My thoughts? If you think the game you are about to pirate is bad, then go ahead and pirate it. However, if your reasoning for pirating the game is for testing purposes, then that to me is a load of bullshit as you are gonna play the game until the end and toss it afterward as your thoughts after "testing" it would be, "I've played this game for 2 months, why would I go and buy it? It's not even that good.".

Those are my thoughts on pirating. Anyone concur? Feel free as I don't even know what to think with the rising in the availability of pirating after typing this.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
I only pirate sugar, tobacco and spices.

pirate_zps7d6c2019.gif

Reactions: DinohScene

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why do you say that?
He is referring to stupid DRM such as HDCP. HDCP will require people to buy new equipment (new GPU and/or monitor) to watch HD content.

Does HDCP works? No, there are HDCP stripper that makes it useless.

Which brings up a good point about DVD and Bluray. These medias often includes advertisement (which can be as long as 15 minutes), useless warning, and useless DRM that wastes your time; one reason why people backup and/or pirate movies.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why do you say that?

Because he doesn't have an HD computer, he's unable to buy it. Even if he has a device that can do it and that he can hook up to his tv, it doesn't matter, he's not allowed to buy it on his computer. Which is dumb, it'd be nice to have it like Steam. I mean, my computer can't handle Skyrim, but it's sweet that I can buy it when it's on sale and have it for when I do have a computer that can run it.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like both of you are saying that producers should accommodate the demands of every person, and if they don't then pirating is justified. Is that what you are saying?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
It sounds like both of you are saying that producers should accommodate the demands of every person, and if they don't then pirating is justified. Is that what you are saying?

I was being facetious. Piracy is never okay, but I can justify it, at least for myself, when I'm required to buy new hardware to watch a movie, when I spent nearly $1500 on my setup 1 and a half years ago. My GPU which is still being sold for $350-400 brand spanking new is not HDCP compliant. Neither is my TV that it's hooked up to, that I would be watching it on. This is a widely adopted DRM scheme which I think is absolutely bananas. It's fairly new, and that combined with it being a hardware-based DRM management scheme, it's a complete and total failure. Only GPUs/Media boxes/TVs/Monitors built in the last few years are compliant. That's what...5-8% of the world population at the most that can be blessed with the opportunity to buy iTunes movies? give me a break.

Piracy will always exist as long as it's both easier AND cheaper to get the same quality material illegitimately.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Might want to read up on HDCP. It's additional copyright protection support built into the hardware/software. It does not exist naturally.

So it's not that companies need to go out of their way to support non-HDCP devices, it's that they are currently going out of their way and putting forth extra effort in order to make it so that less people can purchase their product, whereas they could simply NOT do it, saving time, money, and getting more sales.

HDCP is an anti-consumer feature, and consumers do not like anti-consumer features and will often pirate in retaliation. Spore, anybody? Hell, retaliation to anti-consumer features and DRM in general can almost be seen as a secondary Streisand Effect.

Reactions: porkiewpyne
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might want to read up on HDCP. It's additional copyright protection support built into the hardware/software. It does not exist naturally.

So it's not that companies need to go out of their way to support non-HDCP devices, it's that they are currently going out of their way and putting forth extra effort in order to make it so that less people can purchase their product, whereas they could simply NOT do it, saving time, money, and getting more sales.

HDCP is an anti-consumer feature, and consumers do not like anti-consumer features and will often pirate in retaliation. Spore, anybody? Hell, retaliation to anti-consumer features and DRM in general can almost be seen as a secondary Streisand Effect.

So you are saying it's like the anti-pirating thing they put on ROM's so that people with the pirated game can't play it? Im not sure I'm understanding :(

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
How in the world are these guys "cutting our liberty"?

Or are you just spouting off random buzzwords in an attempt to sound serious?​
It's a feeling of "cutting our liberty" which humans tend to take seriously and personal.​
Basic human need is freedom..and just every single living thing on earth has that need.​
Now, why are someone feeling like that, is a different thing..​
i'm guessing that we can all relate to that feeling... ?​

Because he doesn't have an HD computer, he's unable to buy it. Even if he has a device that can do it and that he can hook up to his tv, it doesn't matter, he's not allowed to buy it on his computer. Which is dumb, it'd be nice to have it like Steam. I mean, my computer can't handle Skyrim, but it's sweet that I can buy it when it's on sale and have it for when I do have a computer that can run it.
Aaah, i hate that.. for example, i could play Tomb Raider anniwersary and Tomb Raider Legend on my old PC (it was excelent graphics) and i was soo excited, because i loved the games and next TR (like a sequel) was going to be TR: underworld, direct sequel of TR: Legend...aaah i was excited to install it and continue the story, but..i had to buy a new computer in order to play the game -.-​
im not gonna buy a used snes console and buy some oldass snes games. you can play them on the internet, ffs.
Actually, i would love to buy and old used SNES console and games :) i think there's certain charm to it, don't you think? :)
imgsize.php

Wow :O a master pirate!​

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing good, just made my first drink of the day, so better now, Captain and Coke today. I had to cut grass all day, then get my hair cut. I messed with my wifey, she knew I was going to get hair cut, and I went and bought a purple dyed wig, and came home wearing it, she freaked out, thinking I dyed my hair purple, was funny.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Hey BigOnYa
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey hope all is well
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, And you too :)
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa how are you doing
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    any mushroom trip adventures you can share
  • JakobAir @ JakobAir:
    Damn, I haven't been on here in while. My wife and I went on a mushroom trip like 10 years ago. A friend had a PS3TV with the glasses and some racing game. It hit when I was playing the game and I freaked out because I thought I was really driving and crashed.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Orange ocean Hawaiian punch is pretty good but @BigOnYa keeps putting vodka in it
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    With enough Vodka everything is good
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im back
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    We are having a bbq
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Nice! Hopefully the weather is good today?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Sicklyboy, it's a bit cloudy but Yea it's good
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    80 for us all that rain then mother nature's like have some sun burn
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @Xdqwerty, good weather, good food, what's not to like about that? Hope you have a lovely day dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got some porkchops marinating in honey teriyaki hope it comes out good
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Porkchop was the name of that dog in that one cartoon, DOUG! :P
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Sonic Angel Knight, never watched doug
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might play Roblox again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh jump back to gdevelop
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: