Hardware Whose got a 30-series Nvidia card?

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who was able to actually grab one of the new cards? And was it worth the upgrade from what you were using before for whatever price you had to pay for it?

I know I caved a month before their launch because ASUS was selling their B-Stock GTX 1080TIs for $350( was using a GTX 1070 before that ), and looking at the prices and some price gouging from companies like MSI have made me think I made the right choice back then.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Ampere ain't that difficult to get now. If you REALLY wanted one, you could get one now, especially the 3060Ti and 3070. 1080Ti is still decent, but I've seen some instances in newer games where Pascal has taken a huge beating in rasterization but the Turing powered 2080 has done well (and even AMD's RDNA1 powered 5700XT has slightly edged out the 1080Ti in some new games).

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ampere ain't that difficult to get now. If you REALLY wanted one, you could get one now, especially the 3060Ti and 3070. 1080Ti is still decent, but I've seen some instances in newer games where Pascal has taken a huge beating in rasterization but the Turing powered 2080 has done well (and even AMD's RDNA1 powered 5700XT has slightly edged out the 1080Ti in some new games).

Been going to the MicroCenter near my work every other day, not super early, but I've only seen the RTX 3060ti and 3090 once since the GPUs came out, and true that the 5700XT trades blows with the 1080Ti in some situations. I'm holding out for the 3070, but I'm wondering if it'll still be $500-$570 when it becomes available, since I've seen the 5600x for $450 at MicroCenter, which made me actually consider the 10700k for $279.

Apextreme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Who was able to actually grab one of the new cards? And was it worth the upgrade from what you were using before for whatever price you had to pay for it?

I know I caved a month before their launch because ASUS was selling their B-Stock GTX 1080TIs for $350( was using a GTX 1070 before that ), and looking at the prices and some price gouging from companies like MSI have made me think I made the right choice back then.

I was lucky enough to find stock here in Chile for an EVGA FTW3 ULTRA 3080. I paid around 1.300 USD including taxes and local shipping.

For me it was worth it, as I was patiently building a PC that was 4K capable at max settings, obtaining 60-120FPS in all games and to go along with a LG OLED B9.

Performance has been amazing with and without OC. Games look incredible and better than ever on the OLED with G-Sync.

As for the 1080Ti, that is a great card. For that price I think u got an amazing deal, specially if you are aiming for 1080p or 1440p.

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was lucky enough to find stock here in Chile for an EVGA FTW3 ULTRA 3080. I paid around 1.300 USD including taxes and local shipping.

For me it was worth it, as I was patiently building a PC that was 4K capable at max settings, obtaining 60-120FPS in all games and to go along with a LG OLED B9.

Performance has been amazing with and without OC. Games look incredible and better than ever on the OLED with G-Sync.

As for the 1080Ti, that is a great card. For that price I think u got an amazing deal, specially if you are aiming for 1080p or 1440p.

Cool! The RTX 3080 is definitely something that was tempting, especially since I am running a 1440p 144hz monitor, part of the reason I wanted to upgrade from the GTX 1070, it was an amazing card, and turning down some lesser noticeable settings could get it above 100fps in most games.

Can't even imagine how nice that OLED is looking at 4K!

D

Deleted User

I just have a 1650 but I can't remember a game even requiring a 1650 yet. It'll be awhile before a game requires 30 series, maybe 5-10 years. It is future proof though you will probably be set for what would be at least 2 generations of consoles.

Although occasionally you might find a game that requires it to get max settings for me that's not the most important thing.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I was one of the lucky few able to nab a 3080 during launch week. Went from a 1070->3080, definitely a worthwhile uplift in performance for me personally. I'm currently still sticking with 1080p/144hz so it's certainly overkill right now, but I'm planning on keeping this thing going for at least 5+ years before I potentially upgrade again, and I also plan on upgrading to 1440p/144hz or 4k/120hz (if they ever become cheapo enough lol) eventually as well so it's a perfect fit for me.

Apextreme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Cool! The RTX 3080 is definitely something that was tempting, especially since I am running a 1440p 144hz monitor, part of the reason I wanted to upgrade from the GTX 1070, it was an amazing card, and turning down some lesser noticeable settings could get it above 100fps in most games.

Can't even imagine how nice that OLED is looking at 4K!

If 1440p 144FPS is your goal, maybe that 3060Ti in MicroCenter might be a good choice; or if you can wait for it to appear in stock, the 3070 would be perfect.

As for the AMD alternatives, I love how those cards look and their prices are amazing. Sadly, here in Chile there is no stock, so it was never an option.

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was one of the lucky few able to nab a 3080 during launch week. Went from a 1070->3080, definitely a worthwhile uplift in performance for me personally. I'm currently still sticking with 1080p/144hz so it's certainly overkill right now, but I'm planning on keeping this thing going for at least 5+ years before I potentially upgrade again, and I also plan on upgrading to 1440p/144hz or 4k/120hz (if they ever become cheapo enough lol) eventually as well so it's a perfect fit for me.

Yeah, 4K would definitely be nice if you could manage to get monitor that isn't super expensive for being high refresh rate/high resolution. When I got my 1440p/144hz monitor it was only about $300 on Black Friday or something, so it'll probably be a few more years before I go 4K.

If 1440p 144FPS is your goal, maybe that 3060Ti in MicroCenter might be a good choice; or if you can wait for it to appear in stock, the 3070 would be perfect.

As for the AMD alternatives, I love how those cards look and their prices are amazing. Sadly, here in Chile there is no stock, so it was never an option.

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to the 3060Ti, mainly due to the fact I could throw the 1080Ti in the VR rig I have downstairs, the only issue being that it( was ) only $100 less than the 3070's MSRP, so to me that felt like missing out on some much needed performance. I don't have anything against AMD since I've used them in the past, but I've heard the drivers can be really hit or miss, which scared me away from the 5700XT.

Reactions: Apextreme

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...