Why are drugs popular/cool?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Styles420 said:
And if you really have encountered enough druggies to support your views, then I pity you for only meeting the worst of the bunch.

More likely he's met plenty of people who smoke pot etc but not even known it - if you met this guy and knew his views on pot would you bring up in conversation that you smoke a bit of weed? No, so the only people he's experienced as "drug users" are those who take such harmful substances in such an irresponsible way that it's obvious at first sight they're a "drug user"

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Gratefulbuddy: This far, Filter might have been more or less narrow minded but he's stood respectful. Please, don't turn this into a flame war.

Drugs are bad. Every single drug is bad in that it deteriorates the body. Even prescripted drugs do (kidneys suffer a lot from filtering an aspirin, for example). However, oxygen is bad too, and so is food. "Quod me nutrit, me destruit", anyone? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_radical_theory

Of course, we NEED food and oxygen to live. But what do we need to live for? To live for the longest time possible? There must be a point in living, and part of it might be drugs or things that you achieve by drugs. Just as part of it might come from reading, playing tvgames, doing some sport, having sex, making friends, studying, etc.

However, the OP's question differed from stablishing whether drugs are bad or not - he wanted to know why they're regarded as "cool". One of the reasons might be folly. People idealize what they don't know, and a lot more if the thing is forbidden. It happens with everything, not just drugs: sex, driving a car, drinking a can of beer... anything that's forbidden. I, too, dislike people who admire things and brag on how cool they're for doing something. But drugs are far from the only thing people brag about to sound cool.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Filter said:
maduin said:
Drugs aren't for all people, but if you've never experience it, you have no room to talk or to state your opinion on the matter

See that is where you are wrong. You don't have to experience drugs to state facts or opinions about them. I know people personally that did meth and it ruined their life and their families.

Also your weak if you think you need to drugs to get by in life. There are always people who have it way worse than you that never needed drugs to make it through their whole life.

Theres a diffrence from meth and "pot"
rolleyes.gif
that's like comparing a beer to smack way diffrent story.... you will never hear someone bragging because they got messed up on meth. It really depends on what drug your talking about I noticed sometimes people think "pot" is worse than it is.

geedub

Trophies
XP
Country
sorry i havent read the whole thread , as i dont see the point as each has their own opinion !so im very likely to repeat others !

the 2 worst drugs in the world are alcohol ( which was illegal at one time ) and nicotine ! but they are accepted by society as it is ' legal ' , some people just seem to hung up on legalities , our emergency services ( uk ) are at breaking point every weekend due to alcohol , and the list is endless , fighting , criminal damage etc , the impact on our helth service aswell , and again list is endless !

yes i accept smoking weed is obviously gonna have an impact on health , but if it was legalised ( pretty much de-criminalised here ) the criminal impact is non existing ! also the government could make their profit and control it better , therefore freeing up our customs and police force to do more warranted work ! im sure even those like your self have to agree that the time and money wasted on chasing people that smoke weed is totally pointless , when all that time and money could be better spent on catching peodophiles , rapists , murderers etc ( these are the fuckers we want off our streets ) not the weed smokers , which is generally done behind closed doors in their own home ! what harm is it doing ?

and also for anyone to say it leads to harder drugs , is talking through a hole in their arse ! i think you will find nearly all peoples first drug was nicotine or alcohol !

i could actually rant about this all day ! you also have to understand , that weed and meth / smack are light years apart ! if you want to have a drug debate , you have to include nicotine and alcohol !

sorry you asked why ! simple answer is its a release from their normal life / problems ! everyone has a release in one form of another !

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't do drugs, never will. I couldn't care less if %90 of the people in this thread think that I'm "narrow-minded" for not smoking pot. As for why they take drugs, dunno, not my biz. Live and let live. As long as they don't bother me, I won't bother them.

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joey Ravn said:
I don't do drugs, never will. I couldn't care less if %90 of the people in this thread think that I'm "narrow-minded" for not smoking pot. As for why they take drugs, dunno, not my biz. Live and let live. As long as they don't bother me, I won't bother them.

Narrow minded? You sound far from it. You choose not to do drugs, while accepting those who do - good job. Drugs aren't for everyone, just like video games, coffee and yoga (Though I don't recommend full contact yoga, it tends to be bad on the back... see? Every general category has more specific subgroups)

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Im not going to do drugs at all, I have CF so anything smoked that isnt oxygen or prescribed meds would kill me
tongue.gif
. Lastly, I just got a realization of why drugs are bad, Anyone heard of the show Celebrity Sober House? Anyway, Ex-Drummer of Guns N Roses, Did some heroin on the show, and couldnt see/walk/talk correctly at all, I mean he was so high it took him like 6 minutes to open a door...

then he gave up because the door was "broken". The entire time I'm sitting there just in aww, of why you would do that to yourself, I mean, I've been diagnosed as severely depressed, and at times it'd be nice to smoke something and just lose my mind for a little while, but at the same time, the after effects are much worse then the high you get from the drug. i dont have anything against people that use drugs, thats your own decision, doesnt bother me at all so
don't flame me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
geedub said:
sorry i havent read the whole thread , as i dont see the point as each has their own opinion !so im very likely to repeat others !

the 2 worst drugs in the world are alcohol ( which was illegal at one time ) and nicotine ! but they are accepted by society as it is ' legal ' , some people just seem to hung up on legalities , our emergency services ( uk ) are at breaking point every weekend due to alcohol , and the list is endless , fighting , criminal damage etc , the impact on our helth service aswell , and again list is endless !

yes i accept smoking weed is obviously gonna have an impact on health , but if it was legalised ( pretty much de-criminalised here ) the criminal impact is non existing ! also the government could make their profit and control it better , therefore freeing up our customs and police force to do more warranted work ! im sure even those like your self have to agree that the time and money wasted on chasing people that smoke weed is totally pointless , when all that time and money could be better spent on catching peodophiles , rapists , murderers etc ( these are the fuckers we want off our streets ) not the weed smokers , which is generally done behind closed doors in their own home ! what harm is it doing ?

and also for anyone to say it leads to harder drugs , is talking through a hole in their arse ! i think you will find nearly all peoples first drug was nicotine or alcohol !

i could actually rant about this all day ! you also have to understand , that weed and meth / smack are light years apart ! if you want to have a drug debate , you have to include nicotine and alcohol !

A question and possibly a redundant one as it was an example list but how many of those or indeed to move away from the preoccupation with statistics what kind of effect are such things having on society?

Personally if I were to ask the police force "what are you doing about xxxx?" I would rather have and sensible answer along the lines of we are targeting specifics than we made X arrests or X fewer arrests than this time last year.

This being said word coming down is that marijuana is going to end up as one of the more or less unenforced laws which is still not ideal as it is still available for harassment but better than it could be.

QUOTE(Joey Ravn @ Jan 23 2009, 02:34 PM) I don't do drugs, never will. I couldn't care less if %90 of the people in this thread think that I'm "narrow-minded" for not smoking pot. As for why they take drugs, dunno, not my biz. Live and let live. As long as they don't bother me, I won't bother them.

Thus far I do not think anyone has been accused of being narrow minded for not wishing to personally do drugs, the narrow minded stuff was aimed at those who are not inclined to "Live and let live. As long as they don't bother me, I won't bother them.".

@Styles420 I should acknowledge your PM, my apologies for not doing it sooner.

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sstew - as has been said repeatedly on this forum, pot and heroin do not compare. Some would use the cliche "apples to oranges," but I think a more appropriate version would be "apples to racoons."

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Styles420 said:
@Sstew - as has been said repeatedly on this forum, pot and heroin do not compare. Some would use the cliche "apples to oranges," but I think a more appropriate version would be "apples to racoons."

Okay, I was just meaning them in the same sense which is they are both "Drugs" either way you look at it.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Sstew said:
Styles420 said:

Okay, I was just meaning them in the same sense which is they are both "Drugs" either way you look at it.

So are aspirins, would you consider them to be the same as crack?

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Sstew said:
Styles420 said:

No, I meant them under the fact that they are not "Drugs" that are helpful to the human body, "Bad Drugs" so to speak. Where as Tylenol, Asprins, Ect. are there to help your body ** Yes, I know you can OD on Prescription Meds** but they are meant to do good to your body. "Drugs" have many sub catagories, I know that, Hell I take 62 pills a day, I just meant that Heroin/Pot/Crack are all Drugs that are not helpful to your body is all. Quit flaming me.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I say just let the people do whatever they want to.
If they believe that there's nothing wrong about taking drugs, I say let them take them and ignore them. It's they're fault if ever anything happens, or of they finally start to realize that they're unnecessary and usually lead to something fucking up.
If they believe that there is something bad about taking them, well be happy for them.

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so long as you understand... I think the only people who have come close to upsetting me on this forum are the ones who continue to group pot smokers with crack addicts etc. - not one of them has tried either drug, so they should at least accept that they don't know enough to even make such a comparison. Those that have tried both, I'm certain, would all affirm that it is by no means a fair comparison. But we all have our vices, be they smack, pot, or television. As the saying goes, "A man without vices doesn't have many virtues" (Correct me if I worded that wrong, but the idea is there).

I'm happy to say that my vice isn't something as bad as crack etc. - Hell, I'm proud that I'm not an alcoholic. Would I be better off if I wasn't attracted to smoking pot? Most likely - while it hasn't ruined my life, I can't deny at least a couple of occasions where I made the wrong decision when presented with the choice. I'm reminded of a time in early high school when I decided to smoke only an hour before going to work - thankfully, I was sober enough when I got there not to actually be a problem, but that was a close call. I go to work sober now
wink.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Sstew said:
TrolleyDave said:
Sstew said:
Styles420 said:

No, I meant them under the fact that they are not "Drugs" that are helpful to the human body, "Bad Drugs" so to speak. Where as Tylenol, Asprins, Ect. are there to help your body ** Yes, I know you can OD on Prescription Meds** but they are meant to do good to your body. "Drugs" have many sub catagories, I know that, Hell I take 62 pills a day, I just meant that Heroin/Pot/Crack are all Drugs that are not helpful to your body is all. Quit flaming me.

lmao I didn't flame you at all, you posed a point of view and I posed a question towards. I don't see any insults or an attempt to be rude in my post. Getting back to the point though, there are lots of medicinal uses to pot. It can help with nausea (sp?) in chemo patients, it helps to control tremors in certain illnesses (I think MD is one of them) and other similar things. And again, you shouldn't class pot in the same category as heroin or crack. Pot can be smoked in it's natural form, heroin and crack are heavily processed chemicals.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sstew said:

WHAT?! Pot isn't helpful?! There are more beneficial (read: healthy) uses for Marijuana than Tylonol. That's why there are places in the US that have it LEGALIZED for medicinal use. Hell, i have an example of a friend with MS (the disease, not the Windows company
tongue.gif
) that was losing feeling in her left leg and left (face) cheek. She started smoking based upon recommendation of a fellow MS friend, and she regained feeling in both. She'd be in a wheelchair now if it weren't for pot. Not to mention my wife's chronic back pain. She started smoking and she can SLEEP through the night, and wake up refreshed.

Try googling "pot medial benefits" and see what you find.

Weed is by NO means, lumped into the same category with man-made chemicals.

geedub

Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
A question and possibly a redundant one as it was an example list but how many of those or indeed to move away from the preoccupation with statistics what kind of effect are such things having on society?

Personally if I were to ask the police force "what are you doing about xxxx?" I would rather have and sensible answer along the lines of we are targeting specifics than we made X arrests or X fewer arrests than this time last year.

This being said word coming down is that marijuana is going to end up as one of the more or less unenforced laws which is still not ideal as it is still available for harassment but better than it could be.

sorry if your looking for official fugures , you will have to google yourself , i mean you seem like an intelligent person , so im sure you can and will understand my point ! maybe not worded the best i'll grant you that !

so are you saying alcohol has no impact on society ? basically police and paramedics , casualty departments etc are preoccupied by drunks at the weekends ! so the rest of society is suffering ! not getting the service they require not getting the time, money ,and resources better used elswhere etc etc !

not wanting to get into another debate i'll finish here , personally i see this as common sense

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heroin fun fact: Heroin was actually created by the US gov't as a replacement for morphine. They hoped it would be roughly 3 times as potent, but only one third as addictive. They screwed up.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Styles420 said:
Heroin fun fact: Heroin was actually created by the US gov't as a replacement for morphine. They hoped it would be roughly 3 times as potent, but only one third as addictive. They screwed up.

Erm, no.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1