Why do people get so triggered about introducing LGBT characters into movies?

ThatGamingAirman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I am stating it myself there.
I think people get annoyed only when characters are badly written. It has all to do with the topic.
Many times in movies they try to be "inclusive" in a very shallow way, that is, they just put in an LGBT character that is not well written, and they just put it in there to say "we're being inclusive", so people don't get angry by the introduction of LGBT characters per se, but by the lack of effort as they are putting badly written characters in and almost treating it like a fad to draw viewers in.
Adding in LGBT characters to a movie isn't a fad it's just Hollywood's way of moving with today's world now that it's been accepted and to be honest love,Simon LGBT Character was the main character which wasn't "poorly written"

Last edited by ThatGamingAirman,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Adding in LGBT characters to a isn't a fad it's just Hollywood's way of moving with today's world now that it's been expected and to be honest love,Simon LGBT Character was the main character which wasn't "poorly written"
Of course it isn't a fad, and that is what is angering: when writers treat it like a fad and just drop in a badly written character, putting no effort at all, just to draw viewers in. That is quite annoying. I don't think anyone really complains about well written LGBT characters, well no one sane at least, you must know the world has many irrational people that live in denial, but they would argue about anything.

ThatGamingAirman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it isn't a fad, and that is what is angering: when writers treat it like a fad and just drop in a badly written character, putting no effort at all, just to draw viewers in. That is quite annoying. I don't think anyone really complains about well written LGBT characters, well no one sane at least, you must know the world has many irrational people that live in denial, but they would argue about anything.
K I agree with you now to me your explanation/answer was unclear at first

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, thank you for being polite. Secondly, in the Bible, it is said that God created man and woman to love each other and them only. The Bible states that being gay is a sin. The reason we are gay is because of the devil, who tempts us into sin and tries to get us to think that it's all right. God is not against our existence. But He does give us freedom to do what we choose, and sin often tempts people because of that.

Again, if you don't agree with this, it's fine, but I'm just answering your question based on what you told me.
As a former practicing Christian, I know of the six verses typically used to say that homosexuality is a sin. I also know that they are relatively easily debunked

I'm not going to knock anyone for believing what they want to, but don't use your belief system as a justification of hatred/dislike of a certain group of people. (That wasn't directed at you so much as in general)

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured this would fit in this topic. Another year, another pride video that gets down voted to hell. Funny how this video is made by the same company that demonetizes LGBT videos.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a former practicing Christian, I know of the six verses typically used to say that homosexuality is a sin. I also know that they are relatively easily debunked

I'm not going to knock anyone for believing what they want to, but don't use your belief system as a justification of hatred/dislike of a certain group of people. (That wasn't directed at you so much as in general)
It's not really hatred. It's just justification for what I do. I don't hate LGBT people, but I do believe that what they are doing is wrong. Does that make sense?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last of Us 2 made me think of this thread. Ellie, despite having a whole back story and already confirmed to like girls, I still see people spamming "sjw" all across the internet. I'm sure some are trolling and joking, but I'm sure a lot of them are serious. Most of the time, it isn't about gay people with bad storytelling (as if you can't have bad storytelling with straight people), but about some people simply not wanting to see it, but just wouldn't admit it. If Ellie was straight the whole time and shown her kissing guys, I doubt anyone would be claiming that it was "forced" or any other common complaints.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last of Us 2 made me think of this thread. Ellie, despite having a whole back story and already confirmed to like girls, I still see people spamming "sjw" all across the internet. I'm sure some are trolling and joking, but I'm sure a lot of them are serious. Most of the time, it isn't about gay people with bad storytelling (as if you can't have bad storytelling with straight people), but about some people simply not wanting to see it, but just wouldn't admit it. If Ellie was straight the whole time and shown her kissing guys, I doubt anyone would be claiming that it was "forced" or any other common complaints.
People also complain about bad storytelling with straight people, all the time. It is only that the "straight people" trait is not used and remarked once and again as if it were an important part of the character/story, only to show up it was a shallow copypasted detail that was brought to attention without writing the character properly. People would also find it stupid if it was remarked once and again that a given character is "straight" without any payoff or meaning to that remark, if you remark something it should be with a purpose, Chekhov's gun. That said, there is always irrational people that will complain about anything, perhaps Last of Us and Ellie are well written and people complain because they are idiots, I've never played the game series so I don't know.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First off, thank you for being polite. Secondly, in the Bible, it is said that God created man and woman to love each other and them only. The Bible states that being gay is a sin. The reason we are gay is because of the devil, who tempts us into sin and tries to get us to think that it's all right. God is not against our existence. But He does give us freedom to do what we choose, and sin often tempts people because of that.

Again, if you don't agree with this, it's fine, but I'm just answering your question based on what you told me.
Actually going off the Bible, God actually didn't give us free will and actually punished humans for getting free will. Eve was tempted by a talking snake (which some say was Satan and I've heard some also believed it was a previous Goddess, but I can't seem to find too much on that anymore.) Still free will wasn't something that was seen as a good thing in the Bible and humans were ultimately punished for getting it and thrown out of the Garden of Eden.
As for the statements about homosexuality, to my knowledge they are part of the Old Testament. It's always seemed rather odd to continue to follow them, but yet find it ok to eat shellfish, pig's meat, allow women to enter Churches when they are on their period or after birth, and so many other rules that no one follows from the Old Testament. The New Testament has some debated quotes that hinge entirely on how one translates the Greek text, but ultimately vaguely talk about homosexuality. Basically entire notion of the Bible to discourage homosexuality, but ignore other rules is rather debatable onto itself.
I am not trying to disrespect you, but the entire notion that Homosexuality is a sin needs to also bring up the argument as to why homosexuality is singled out, but the rest of the rules are ignored? It's always come off as rather odd that it's ok to eat ham, but not ok to be homosexual when they are both mentioned in Leviticus.

Bonus fact: My fursona's name (and username) is from the Bible.

Last edited by The Catboy,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually going off the Bible, God actually didn't give us free will and actually punished humans for getting free will. Eve was tempted by a talking snake (which some say was Satan and I've heard some also believed it was a previous Goddess, but I can't seem to find too much on that anymore.) Still free will wasn't something that was seen as a good thing in the Bible and humans were ultimately punished for getting it and thrown out of the Garden of Eden.
As for the statements about homosexuality, to my knowledge they are part of the Old Testament. It's always seemed rather odd to continue to follow them, but yet find it ok to eat shellfish, pig's meat, allow women to enter Churches when they are on their period or after birth, and so many other rules that no one follows from the Old Testament. The New Testament has some debated quotes that hinge entirely on how one translates the Greek text, but ultimately vaguely talk about homosexuality. Basically entire notion of the Bible to discourage homosexuality, but ignore other rules is rather debatable onto itself.
I am not trying to disrespect you, but the entire notion that Homosexuality is a sin needs to also bring up the argument as to why homosexuality is singled out, but the rest of the rules are ignored? It's always come off as rather odd that it's ok to eat ham, but not ok to be homosexual when they are both mentioned in Leviticus.

For future reference, the Serpent = Satan thing is loosely based off of a single verse later in the OT that mentions "Lucifer" (oh, yeah, the whole "Lucifer is Satan" story is up in the air, too, since it never mentions that he's a fallen angel). So cannonically speaking, the serpent was literally just a very clever animal

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For future reference, the Serpent = Satan thing is loosely based off of a single verse later in the OT that mentions "Lucifer" (oh, yeah, the whole "Lucifer is Satan" story is up in the air, too, since it never mentions that he's a fallen angel). So cannonically speaking, the serpent was literally just a very clever animal
Honestly I've heard so many different ideas tossed around about the Snake that it's hard to keep up with. For preservative, my dad's Protestant church taught that it was Satan who was the Serpent, the Catholic churches in my town however taught that it was "fallen angel," and vaguely alluded to it to being Satan. Then of course there's idea that I've heard tossed around that it was a previous Serpent Goddess that early Jewish people turned into a devil-like character to disregard the older religion. Of course then there's the idea that it was literally just a smart snake that could talk. In my years of religious research I've never found a solid answer to this character and honestly I've come to conclusion that I don't think there is a solid answer.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was either Dark Matter... Or a guy trying to get a bunch of fruit flavored samurai street dancers to fight for the next stage of evolution.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In the Bible, God created the Earth, and man in his own image. He intended for man to live forever, and created the Garden of Eden to house them. He created Eve to accompany Adam, and gave them free will, stating that the only thing they couldn't do was eat from the Tree Of The Knowledge of Good and Evil. Eve was looking at the Tree one day, when Satan, in the form of a snake (In Christianity, there is only one God, Satan was a fallen angel). He tempted Eve and lied to her, in order to get her to take a bite. She did, and in turn gave it to Adam, who took a bite as well. At this point, God saw what they had done and was angry. He cursed the two, banishing them from the garden for listening to Satan. Satan received eternal punishment as well, but it was too late. Sin had already entered the world.
That's the story of the Beginning in my own words, referenced from the NIV Bible.

As for the content and not current sinning standards, eating ham and all the sacrifice and ritual rules were eliminated when God sent his One and Only Son to Earth to die for all of our sins. After He did, the eating ham and such rules were no longer necessary. Homosexuality, along with the other basic rules and Laws stated in the Old Testament, are still in place because Jesus dying on the cross did not affect those laws directly. Sorry for the long reply.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And even if you don't understand, or don't like why they are the way they are, does that give you permission to tell them that they are living life is in any way incorrect?
I guess this is what I'm trying to say: We don't believe in homosexuality, but we don't publicy shun people who do. We might talk with people about their life choices or ask them why they do it, etc., but telling them that they're sinning makes people angry and doesn't help anyone.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the content and not current sinning standards, eating ham and all the sacrifice and ritual rules were eliminated when God sent his One and Only Son to Earth to die for all of our sins. After He did, the eating ham and such rules were no longer necessary. Homosexuality, along with the other basic rules and Laws stated in the Old Testament, are still in place because Jesus dying on the cross did not affect those laws directly. Sorry for the long reply.

Good.. That means I can still kill you for wearing cloth of two fibers. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: ohio