Homebrew Why do people want homebrew?

senas8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IKR? The switch pushes .8 teraflops in portable mode and 1.1 docked. For comparison, the XB1 pushes 1.4.
Wait.. is this true? I been trying to find out about just how powerful it is .. you have a link that talks about those specs?

Sascha93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Most people (>90%) only want it for piracy... :(
I hope we don't get executable Homebrew within the next 2-3 years and you should hope for that too, it could kill the support of many developers on the switch.
Sadly, referred to a few articles, they actually managed to read out the NAND of the Switch, could be the first step..

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What is this, and how do I get it?! :blink:
I think he's talking about NTR-CFW and Luma3DS on New3DS. So it's not overclocking, just upping the CPU clock to the max of what the CPU is designed for, which helps in some games, but doesn't help at all in others.

Hm. Actually read through all of OP. That's just sad.. A 720p Screen on a 7 inch display is shitty? The difference is negligible between that and 1080p. The Tegra X1 is a shitty processor? As compared to what... The PS4? The Xbox One? Hm... What the hell is wrong with people...

No, a shitty $50 Windows tablet can't do more. It's a piece of garbage. Go play with Best Buy's cheap Windows tablets. They run like ass.
Good luck finding a $50 Windows tablet at all, much less one that doesn't suck major balls. I know they're cheap, but I haven't seen one cheaper than like $70 and at that price point, what you get is actually less powerful than the Switch, or most current Android devices. It works, you can run Windows on it, and you might even be able to run some light Windows games, but forget about running AAA games or anything resembling current games. Indie games will probably run fine though.

Exophase could even get DS games running on the Switch, with screen layout options. Porting DraStic should be a breeze, since it's an ARM-based architecture and a Unix-like OS (FreeBSD derived)
It's not FreeBSD, it's based on the 3DS kernel, that rumor has been debunked. I do agree that porting DraStic would probably be easy given that there were was public homebrew though, as it's been mentioned by multiple developers that the Switch is really easy to port to.

To be honest i don't care much about piracy, i know i'm not gonna play every game, no one got time for that. I do care that some console designers really have too much restrictions on things, not being able to back up save data or transfer it for personal reasons is very bad for me and homebrew fix that problem. I don't want homebrew to be all about piracy, i like emulators and welcome it, i like useful system tools that do extend the system value, i don''t relate homebrew to piracy but that all people care about is getting something without paying for it, maybe is the fact is make them feel above law, or way to make people look dumb as to say, "thank for the free game, even though is no good."

I didn't come here to discuss piracy since others already started, but i do say that homebrew should not be considered piracy simply cause it does relate to each other with the tools made. I want homebrew to extend the value of the device by adding new features the company didn't do themself or purposely restricted.
You're right, but still, there's no denying that the primary purpose of homebrew is piracy.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right, but still, there's no denying that the primary purpose of homebrew is piracy.
Oh, i won't deny it. :P

I know is the number one reason, but is not my reason and i hope people don't confuse Piracy with homebrew. Cause Homebrew doesn't = Piracy. Piracy is just getting a game for free. Or least back in the day, it used to mean a chinese company ripping the idea off someone else to make money from popular things, like somari on nes for example and tons of boot leg games.

Homebrew is just being able to run user made tools and software developed by common individuals and uses system exploits to break the original restrictions the system has. That part i don't mind, as i can't believe so many consoles nintendo make and No way to BACK UP SAVE DATA. Even vita can back up save data, it may not be as common as copy files to pc but you can cloud save it, is better than NOTHING.

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Personnal homebrew wishlist:
  • Media player
  • 900p in handheld mode for supersampling
  • Emulators (ofc)
  • Video output w/o dock
  • More themes options
  • Unix support

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Meh, i'm only interested in Emulators (yeah, maybe some homebrews are fun, but i rarely play them)
Emulators, like many people still believe wrong, are not ONLY a way to play pirated Iso from a playing system on another, but allow new experience for old games.
Maybe when we was a child, we had played everything without any problems, but, after grew up, if try again an older games, maybe we find annoying long loading time (this is unavoidable) but what about the lack of save and checkpoints? But in the emulators, this problem dont' exist thanks to savestate (you can beat a final boss with 1 HP, but depend on the game lol), recording your gameplay and much more. And, for the people addicted to resolution, you can play older games with filter, graphic plugins and so on to give a new look to our beloved good-time games.
Emulation are my definitve game experience and all that i need are to have them on a portable device, up to ps2/wii emulation.
Who doesn't want his or her childhood game memories on the go?

Reactions: Deleted User

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I want it to be a Pirate! Arrr!. At least I am not telling I want a Media Player lol.

I guess 50% of us here on GBATemp want it to be a Pirate! :]

So yeah, lets see if it happen. BUt I think they hold it back for a while like they did on other consoles.

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I don't really take issue with piracy per se, I don't think 90% of people who homebrew do it to pirate games. But I don't really have any evidence for or against that statement. Its just a matter of perspective I guess as I doubt many people will own up to only wanting homebrew for piracy.

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
It is a fact of life Jailbreaking/CFWs always go hand-in-hand with piracy, once someone has the ability to run unsigned code, you can't really do anything to stop them from using it to run repackaged retail games. However I'd rather see a free and open source homebrew than DRM'd piracy-only solutions from Chinese or Brazilian profiteers.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm interested in hacking to compensate the stupid restrictions there are on consoles. The most obvious one that comes to people's minds being region-locking (it's not a problem on the Switch but it was on other consoles). But any other kind of restriction that prevents me from doing something even though I'm not harming sales. For example, on an unhacked 3DS, I can buy games in carts (so I have to swap when changing games) or digital (so when the eShop closes, I don't have anything left of my purchase except some bits on my SD card, and if I deleted MH4U to make space for MHGen, I can't get it back). So that's why "piracy" helps here, I can buy something that will never be taken from me (cart) and still enjoy games without any annoyance (cia). And other stuff like sharing saves across multiple consoles (I have 4 3DS consoles), etc.

So yeah, open it in general and get tools on it, not necessarily homebrew games and stuff (not saying they're bad, just that it's not what I want first).

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Instead of hardening the OS against attacks, Nintendo has chosen to completely remove the ability to backup or share save files with other consoles at the expense of the vast majority who do not care about homebrew or piracy

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I suppose main purpose is piracy. I would say 90% but it's hard to gauge as the users not wanting piracy are not active posters and whining about it, they are just happy to enjoy the other part of homebrew, which is :
- unlocking existing features (savegame backup/restore, screenshot, DNS and network restriction, etc.)
- Adding features (use of HID USB controllers, other device access, etc.)
- Modding scene (translation, undub, new map, tracks, etc.)
- Cheat is probably a very high demand.

Oh, and I didn't talk about the "obvious" homebrew : amateur games and apps using the hardware capability provided by the device.

there are also hardware modders category, but it's not homebrew dev anymore.

Piracy is not always the goal, for example you want youtube or facebook on your switch? I guess it's not possible unless you bypass engineers choices. It's not piracy, you don't get games for free, but you need something "not intended" to do it.

Homebrew is doing yourself what others restricted or didn't thought or didn't want to create. Unlocking the full potential of a device.

Last edited by Cyan,

mooglux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I really love the switch and i think that retroarch would totally blow my mind. That'd be my #1 reason for Homebrew on the switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival