Homebrew Why do people want homebrew?

Wrathalos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GCN emulator for Metroid Prime anywhere I go. That and the ability to play movies on it.

It's just the piracy.

Been around long enough to know its always really been about the piracy for 99% of the people which explains why the "Scene" has always been quite shitty for the past few years

The 'scene' has been "shitty" because it's been stale. Nothing really new to do until the Switch; That and someone finally achieved things with the PS Vita.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i always used homebrew for emulators and thats my thing, i collect all games i want phisicaly since im a phisical collector, screw that digital crap people buy nowadays.

the switch being arm could actualy have some great emulators while being fully portable, and it has its own buttons not like smartphone crap stuff.

Reactions: DarthDub

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Pirating is just part of it, but not entirely the sole reason.
Take a look at what Nintendo released alongside the system.
Do we have a media player? Internet Browser? Video streaming? Virtual Console?

Nope.
They fucked it up real bad, even if they are going to add any of those in the future.

To me, homebrew is a door to a lot of amazing stuff.

Having homebrew would allow for emulators to run your old school games which Nintendo doesn't add to the official Virtual Console, a clear example of this is the Rare games for the N64. Not only that, but even other consoles like PlayStation and so. Besides, having your ENTIRE collection of games in one little single device is a thing of wonders, you can just switch to whatever game you want from your library and play it right away. The Switch is perfect in this regard due to the Console/Handheld thing.

Video streaming or a media player would let you playback your favorite music, photos, videos, movies, etc.
Another pro to having homebrew is porting or developing games.
For example, Doom is one of those games which end up getting ported to everything with a chip on it, alongside Quake.
Doom and Quake ports for the Switch would be neat. And add to this the fact that homebrew opens the doors for game developers too, having homebrew games instead of relying solely on Indie devs for that.

As you can see, the possibilities are endless, and I will never be pleased with what the current generation of consoles are doing with that power, essentially limiting what the hardware can do.

That is why I'm waiting it out on the Switch, I'll wait until it shows signs of being hacked to jump aboard and get one.

cros107

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Emulators, emulators, emulators, regular homebrew apps, (inb4 hb browser is released before official browser), "backup loading", custom themes. VC injection too, because Nintendo emulators > fanmade emulators usually. Oh, and ROM HACKS!

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because physical buttons >death>on screen only controls. The switch is also a somewhat unique device as well in that its really both portable and a reasonably good console. If you consider it weak, you might want to take a trip back in time to 17 years ago (per OP) and compare it against the hardware of that timeframe. Also people that hack around on consoles (the ones actually doing the heavy lifting) mostly do it for one reason and one reason only...because they can.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
'Homebrew' is becoming the in-direct term of piracy for some people. There is still purpose for homebrew though, especially when it comes to injecting games into Nintendo's VC, save editing, backing up save data, and also game editing(fan translations for games we won't be getting).

Reactions: Shikkichu

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
To fix Nintendo's mistakes
Like ability to backup save data,if your switch is broken,bye bye all that work,no save data is kept on cart now.

also,custom themes.

Data mining for games.

and most importantly,emulators
Playing all PS1 games on switch seems very good.

Last edited by aos10,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been a gamer for the past 17 years (No I'm not 17 but you don't start gaming at 0) and when I was a kid I had a Nintendo DS. I discovered the hacking scene back in 2007 when palmOS was the shit and Symbians were the best. But also very expensive and had shitty memory card storage, like MMC and CF (not too bad, but very expensive).

My Nintendo DS only played games from developers who were lucky enough to be told "yes" by Nintendo and brave enough to print their game into cartridges. When I got a flashcard for it my mind was blown: my DS is now a media player? I can play homebrew games?? HOLY SHIT I CAN DRAW ON THIS??? I CAN READ BOOKS???

Keep in mind that yes, you could buy a cartridge with an SD slot to play music, that's it. You could also buy an average Internet browser called the Nintendo DS Browser (which had Opera inside) and each of those were for ~40 euros, and the first one was very difficult to find. There were also cartidges with a bunch of books, but they were always public domain and surprisingly only a few of them. With a flashcard you had a browser for free (but it kinda sucked), an awesome MEDIA player (Moonshell), a powerful paint program (Colors!), even an MSN app or email software. And let's not forget about games! There were a lot of them, many sucked ass but hey, it was free. Plus you tried. DS flashcards (around that time) had a micro SD slot. There was also the legit concern of many gamers who wanted all games on the go, or wanted to play emulated games. That was so awesome!

Now, in 2017, we have a shitty tablet with a shitty screen and a fairly shitty processor. My phone can do everything I've always wanted it to be, people can develop games for the console at a fairly cheap price (cheaper than the DS for sure), you can store games in the micro SD and there is probably going to be a virtual console.

My question is: why do people want homebrew so badly on this thing? You can argue about the teraflops as much as you like, but if you take the core out it's just a shitty tablet. A $50 windows tablet could do much more for a much lower price. What do you want to see in the Switch so badly? I'm honestly curious. I was feeling the same way with the 3DS until someone made a program to overclock the 3D (which IMO it's the greatest homebrew there is).

Or maybe people who say they want homebrew just want to pirate?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
I've always been fascinated by homebrew games. Just because developing for the switch is cheaper than previous consoles doesn't mean everyone has enough to do it. One prime example is the halo revamped port for 3ds. You wouldn't see something like that without hombrew because development costs and obtaining rights to legally sell that content, if you could even get them.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I want homebrew because like NTR viewer on a New 3DS, but when the heck is it available for Wii U?
And if the Switch will not support Twitch, I want the same for the Switch.

And also a N64 emulator for Wii U.

Last edited by thekarter104,

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So you only want to play games on easy-as-fuck mode? :creep::creep::creep::creep:
No. Dont make any things globally.
Obviously, depends on the game/ situation. Maybe some day we have to get stressed or something else, and maybe play for relax and see that game dont relax at all lol So savestates, in this case, come in very handy.
If we talk about easy game so we need to talk only about ps4. More than half of the ps4 game catalog can be completed at max difficult without very problems.
Old games are for true players. Ps4 are for weak chubbys and old guys who want something easy to do loool

One example: Mortal Kombat X is doable at Normal difficult. Mortal Kombat 3 cpu can smash you even at very easy xD

(little note: in FF8 you control the car, in XV you can't. Hmm, i see, the "Evolution"...) <- sure i will ever prefer ps1 and ps2 games over ps4 movies lol

Reactions: LichbannMejolaro

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Look at the WiiU. If hacked, you can play every game you've owned from every Nintendo console ever and don't even have to worry about switching out or carrying along a bunch carts/discs. If you can't see the appeal in something like that I don't know what to tell you.

You might argue that Switch will eventually be capable of something like this due to eshop, except it won't have nearly as many games and you have to rebuy a license for all the games, key word being license. If you go digital, you don't actually own anything as far as the big companies are concerned.

kiryu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Mine is for a game dumper and back-up loader, so that I can preserve my storage media. Cheats, cuz grinding is boring and free DLCs, DLCs suck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone