Why do so many people hate Windows 10?

D

Deleted User

I'm sick of people like you constantly talking down to anyone who uses Linux because "baww Windows is so much easier and Linux blocks games!!". My post proves that Windows isn't as "easy" as you think it is.
I was actually specifically talking about the people that talked down to others for their OS preference in my post. People who flaunt their OS as better than everybody elses. Every community has those. When people on here talk about Windows being easier, they are talking about a "I can do stuff faster and more efficent" and they don't have to jump through as many hoops on Windows. If you can accomplish something better on Linux then Windows, more power to you! But just as normal everyday users Linux most likely won't be there.
Also every game I play (or almost) can be played on Linux, fyi.

What Linux Distro do you use?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What Linux Distro do you use?
I use Gentoo on my main system (obviously not the right distro for most people), and Debian on some servers.

Related to my earlier post: There's still nothing anyone here can say to me that would ever convince me to use Windows 10 on anything. (I have VMs for XP and 7 for testing Windows builds.)

D

Deleted User

Nah, you're good. just make sure you have fast internet so it can torrent the driverpacks.
It torrents them? Thank god because I have slow internet (for now) and I don't have the connection dropping out on me.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a long time Linux user, I agree there's a lot of stuff that's a pain with Linux. It's definitely not for everyone. There's limits to what you play, game wise (which is the main reason I'm on gbatemp.net and focus on consoles more). But a lot like Windows 8/8.1/10, most the rest is just becoming accustom to a new UI and a new set of programs to do the stuff you want. If you're not interested in Linux and want to stick with Windows, more power to you.

However, in the end you have to decide what is more important to you and if all the ways in which Microsoft is trying to monetize you really crosses the line for you, in the long term Linux or some other OS is probably going to have to be your solution. As others have said, though, if you can tolerate what Google does with Android* then to some extent it doesn't make sense to hate Windows 10 for the same thing*. Regardless, a know that personally it creeps me out to be spied on, and I do try to thwart data collection and the like when I can. Still, I do use Google search, so it's apparently not enough to fully stop me because as far as compromises go, DuckDuckGo simply isn't good enough for me. Still, I use Chromium, not Chrome.

* Again, it's still something of an apples and oranges comparison, as AFAIK Google's ability to spy on you is heavily limited to (1) using their apps on Google or (2) using Google search. There's no real effective firewall to limit, interfere, or thwart the sort of pervasive "telemetry" that Windows 10 collects on you. Nor do I think anonymizing at that level works. So, yea, if you just don't care, then more power to you. I just think it's something of a false equivalence to treat all data the same or all spying the same.

Reactions: Deleted User

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I recommend enabling hybernate. It's like shutting down, except the entire system state is preserved.

That's not a bad idea... Do you know if it's possible to set the location of the drive to store the hibernation? Otherwise I need to reserve 32Gb on my system SSD, which is not ideal.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States

omegasoul6

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think Windows 10 is great, but it's not compatible with a few older games I play, so I'm staying on Windows 7 for the time being.

I'll probably check out Windows 10 again when Microsoft decides to push out Project Neon.

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I remember when this image was just parody...

erroutofmem.gif

Reactions: jimbo13 and Kingy

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You don't.

Have any of you that are so hoity toity about Microsoft "Spying" on you ever bothered to figure out what, exactly, Microsoft is gathering? It's not like they have a private investigation following you around and rifling through your mail.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microsoft-is-not-spying-on-you-with-windows-10/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Go hit the street and ask random people if they ever used a computer with Red Hat. Hell, I don't know if anyone here does either, all the vocal linux guys seem to have their own preferred Distro.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

View attachment 84272
All part of the Creator's update.

Remember, Windows 10 is constantly improving. Things are getting better and better over time.

They are slowly killing the good old control panel eh? I haven't been up to date much but can you still uninstall applications from control panel? Otherwise I might just not update because I just like the well, snappiness of control panel, if that makes sense (it probably doesn't).

D

Deleted-355425

They are slowly killing the good old control panel eh? I haven't been up to date much but can you still uninstall applications from control panel? Otherwise I might just not update because I just like the well, snappiness of control panel, if that makes sense (it probably doesn't).

Windows 10 has control panel and uninstall like all the previous windows.

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Windows 10 has control panel and uninstall like all the previous windows.

Of course it does. But with new Windows 10 Creators Update, the new Settings app is also getting the ability to uninstall application so I asked if control panel still can do that.

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That's completely irrelevant though. How long the code is isn't directly related to how user friendly it is.

Exactly. If Windows does something with 100 lines of code whereas Linux does with 20, it doesn't matter. As long as they both function. I don't hate either, rather love bot Windows and Linux as I use Windows on my PCs and Windows Server and Ubuntu server on my home servers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or rather, why?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm about to buy a $200 flash cart
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I have a 256GB card in my 3DS lol
    It's a New 3DS XL so it's still under warranty... If it ever breaks gonna make Nintendo fix it lol You said it was new.... For eternity!!!
    But my 3DS is loaded with emulators and 3DS games and DS games and GBA games probably thousands of games in total lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb going with my dad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, are most of those games shovelware?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah gotta buy 3 1tb SD cards for 3ds the entire libraries need archived in my home
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    >buys x3 1TB SD cards
    >stores the entire 3DS library on them
    >installs CFW
    >realised why I wasted loads of money and resources
    +2
    Lol no I clean my sets
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cause it's in my home ready to go
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like uremum
    But 100 games on SNES and Genesis and GBA then TG16 and NES and GB and GBC then all the other random systems and arcade games it all adds up lol
    +1
    Virtual Boy alone has probably 5 games!!! Lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I won't mention any names in chat but some of us wastes $300 on preloaded hdds :tpi:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, The PS5 had none.
    +2
    Lol I spent more than that on a stuffed 4TB drive lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I've yet to fill the 1tb internal drive on my ps5
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, 1) except final fantasy 16. 2) why would I have a console's whole catalogue if most of the games are either shovelware or terrible games?
    Kind of a waste, but the allure of all those games over 100,000
    Some shovel ware with low ratings you might enjoy more than the ratings would sugest
    +1
    Cruisn on the Wii is one of my personal examples of that, it's considered one of the worst games of all time, I loved it and completed it several times.
    +1
    The trick for me was to go into the settings and crank up the Wiimote sensitivity to the max and it gets twitchy but you can win that way lol
    Lots of other games I enjoyed that reviews would say otherwise lol
  • btei @ btei:
    lethal company servers are down rn
    btei @ btei: lethal company servers are down rn