Why do so many people hate Windows 10?

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's completely irrelevant though. How long the code is isn't directly related to how user friendly it is.
If anything it is INVERSELY related, as the more code may cover being able to better recover if something goes wrong and would be more flexible. For example, it takes far less code to reject any date string not entered in the "DD/MM/YYYY" format then it is to automatically convert all other formats to the right one, or just provide a flyout calendar picker.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Exactly. If Windows does something with 100 lines of code whereas Linux does with 20, it doesn't matter. As long as they both function. I don't hate either, rather love bot Windows and Linux as I use Windows on my PCs and Windows Server and Ubuntu server on my home servers.
It can affect performance, however.

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
That's completely irrelevant though. How long the code is isn't directly related to how user friendly it is.
I'm possibly out of context here, but if a command on one platform does the same thing as a function that needed to be scripted by the end user on another, well... The one with the command is far simpler and easier to use, thus being more user friendly.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm possibly out of context here, but if a command on one platform does the same thing as a function that needed to be scripted by the end user on another, well... The one with the command is far simpler and easier to use, thus being more user friendly.

Except that the end user on windows doesn't use commands. and how many lines of code doesn't really have a whole lot to do with how many commands there are. as far as i understand it anyway.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Except that the end user on windows doesn't use commands. and how many lines of code doesn't really have a whole lot to do with how many commands there are. as far as i understand it anyway.
Hmm... The end user on Windows may use commands. "Most users" isn't the same as "end users".
Plus, it does. If you write a batch script or a shell script for one platform, and that function is performed by a single built-in command on a different platform, then of course it does relate to it. I very much doubt anyone likes writing unreadable code just so it can fit in one line.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm... The end user on Windows may use commands. "Most users" isn't the same as "end users".
Plus, it does. If you write a batch script or a shell script for one platform, and that function is performed by a single built-in command on a different platform, then of course it does relate to it. I very much doubt anyone likes writing unreadable code just so it can fit in one line.

If pigs fly. You're just inventing hypothetical scenarios. It's never been said that coding for windows is easier, just using windows is easier. And the vast **vast** majority of users is never going to use a batch script. Or anything to do with the code.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
If pigs fly. You're just inventing hypothetical scenarios. It's never been said that coding for windows is easier, just using windows is easier. And the vast **vast** majority of users is never going to use a batch script. Or anything to do with the code.
... You do realise that one tests the strength of an argument by testing the corner cases, don't you? Either way, you failed to understand my point.

-merged-

It's not hypothetical either. I've scripted things myself before because they weren't available as a simple command. It happens.

Reactions: Deleted User

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
... You do realise that one tests the strength of an argument by testing the corner cases, don't you? Either way, you failed to understand my point.

I got your point completely. I just don't think it's relevant at all. Your statement about testing the corner cases is to be honest complete and utter bollocks in this case.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I got your point completely. I just don't think it's relevant at all. Your statement about testing the corner cases is to be honest complete and utter bollocks in this case.
Lmao. It isn't. In all cases, any argument must be tested against corner cases. That's how logic works. And no, according to your posts, you don't get my point.

Reactions: Deleted User

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything it is INVERSELY related, as the more code may cover being able to better recover if something goes wrong and would be more flexible. For example, it takes far less code to reject any date string not entered in the "DD/MM/YYYY" format then it is to automatically convert all other formats to the right one, or just provide a flyout calendar picker.
This is a joke, right? The extra lines of code aren't because of "error checking", it's because of Win32 simply not providing the functionality. For example, automatic widget layouts.

Requiring more lines for the *same* functionality means more bloat and development time.

With regards to your example: "Automatically" converting date formats based on assumptions is a bad idea. How would you know if "10/11/12" is D/M/Y, M/D/Y, or Y/M/D?

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: more lines, same functionality

srxfanbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard a lot of positive feedback about win 10 around my friends. Only a few ones complain about it. And it is easy to crack the login password.

Last edited by srxfanbz,

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are your friends hardcore technical veterans that know how Windows works and it's strong/weak points?
probably not. For all we know they may be the kind of people who are literally relearning how to use a computer every time they sit down in front of one - even if it's the same one.

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not that I don't like windows 10, I just don't feel like upgrading from Windows 8. I have my windows 8 exactly the way I like it, I even have Start8 installed as my Start Menu. I probably will upgrade eventually, just not right now.

(Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ using Tapatalk)

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not that I don't like windows 10, I just don't feel like upgrading from Windows 8. I have my windows 8 exactly the way I like it, I even have Start8 installed as my Start Menu. I probably will upgrade eventually, just not right now.

You missed your official chance to upgrade for free though. And support for Windows 8.1 ends in 8 months.

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You missed your official chance to upgrade for free though. And support for Windows 8.1 ends in 8 months.

Oh I don't care if Microsoft drops support for Windows 8. I never need Microsoft or any other tech company fixing my PC or OS. I take care of all my own tech support when it comes to any of my computers or devices.

As for the free upgrade, I can get windows 10 for dirt cheap from Kinguin.net. Because all I would need is a Win10 Product Key. They are dirt cheap on that site. And if you pay an extra $1, you can get insurance on your digital order. So if the key I bought doesn't work, they give me a new key within minutes, no questions asked.

So I'm not really worried about all that. Also, I build gaming computers for local clients all the time, so I probably have a working Windows 10 product key around here somewhere. Lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi