Why government prevents suicide?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Serious question, EOF because I know you guys.

Is it because: Less people less taxes?

Or because daddy government cares so much?

What are the reasons why cities would use money in urban infrastructure to prevent suicides? Such as barriers in subways, steel mash in bridges and whatnot.
Post automatically merged:

Anyways:

Last edited by JuanMena,
  • Haha
Reactions: BigOnYa

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taxes, aha! Beautiful, lovely, taxes!
taxes-tax.gif

No seriously, apart from having to deal with dead corpses thrown in random public places, which definitely would cause all sorts of problems (within the public), mass fear & confusion just to name a few.. And the legal trouble the state has to go through, finding/looking for relatives, hell even figuring out the identity of the deceased (in a John/Jane Doe scenario), potential police investigations (even if it's obvious it's a suicide), to funeral arrangements/ burying the deceased etc. They don't want to deal with more this, it's costly & expensive..

Reactions: Subtle Demise

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't be surprised if religion plays a part, whilst I couldn't find a specific biblical reference with 'murering yourself' being to closest, it is still believed to be a sin by many.

Although I also wouldn't be surprised if there are other reasons e.g. family simply missing someone, belief that someone is 'escaping' justice, trying to escape debts, etc.

It is common to hear it called cowardly, I remember hearing such remarks after Robin Williams death and Stephen Fry's attempt, in both instances they were suffering from conditions with one person I know recanting what they said once they found out.

Of course in reality things are going to be more complex.

As for governments trying to prevent it, I'd imagine there are multiple factors both 'social' and and practical.

On the social side you may have people who simply hate suicide as above, want to genuinely help people, etc.

On the practical side it may cost time and money to deal with e.g. train cancellations, repairs, fishing out bodies, investigations to make sure it isn't murder, etc.

As for taxes, depending on the individual there is potential for them to actually reduce the burden on society if they were to....remove themselves from society e.g. welfare dependants, terminally ill, retired people on state pension, etc.

Also in the case of say barriers, they can potentially help prevent accidents and murders as well. IIRC there have been incidents of people being pushed onto train tracks.

Now as this is EoF my obligatory **** post reason is maybe they just hate dealing with gooey bodies and giblets?

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I wouldn't be surprised if religion plays a part, whilst I couldn't find a specific biblical reference with 'murering yourself' being to closest, it is still believed to be a sin by many.

Although I also wouldn't be surprised if there are other reasons e.g. family simply missing someone, belief that someone is 'escaping' justice, trying to escape debts, etc.

It is common to hear it called cowardly, I remember hearing such remarks after Robin Williams death and Stephen Fry's attempt, in both instances they were suffering from conditions with one person I know recanting what they said once they found out.

Of course in reality things are going to be more complex.

As for governments trying to prevent it, I'd imagine there are multiple factors both 'social' and and practical.

On the social side you may have people who simply hate suicide as above, want to genuinely help people, etc.

On the practical side it may cost time and money to deal with e.g. train cancellations, repairs, fishing out bodies, investigations to make sure it isn't murder, etc.

As for taxes, depending on the individual there is potential for them to actually reduce the burden on society if they were to....remove themselves from society e.g. welfare dependants, terminally ill, retired people on state pension, etc.

Also in the case of say barriers, they can potentially help prevent accidents and murders as well. IIRC there have been incidents of people being pushed onto train tracks.

Now as this is EoF my obligatory **** post reason is maybe they just hate dealing with gooey bodies and giblets?
*Impressed*

you might have a generic username and have no avatar. but i know a @gamer19771356 post when i see one

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning