Hacking Question Why the Nintendo consoles are always the first/only consoles hacked?

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
sorry for late replay

i guess, people really wants to play hacked Pokemon games and edit the save easily.

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because nintendo is smart enough to know that if its moddable more people will buy it and fail at modding and then buy more of them ie look at the original wii.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the size of the discs has nothing to do with it, mini dvd's are easily purchased, they where also used by cameras at that time
but at the time you couldn't burn them you could but the burners for the mini discs were outrageously expensive. you had to rip the disc than burn the iso onto a normal dvd and use the modified drive tray to play it which is also a mod chip.

here's what it looked like when done properly
1f2cf70c32_1.jpg

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
but at the time you couldn't burn them you could but the burners for the mini discs were outrageously expensive. you had to rip the disc than burn the iso onto a normal dvd and use the modified drive tray to play it which is also a mod chip.

here's what it looked like when done properly

i know about that mod
you can burn mini dvd's in a normal dvd burner, its just a small disc, doesn't have any difference..
you can burn a mini disc in almost any drive..
https://i.stack.imgur.com/4ofcX.jpg
see that small hole in the middle in the tray? its for mini discs

however gamecube and wii discs have some differences to a normal CD
you require a modchip or a way to load the disc, just swaping the bay for a larger one or modifying it to accept larger discs won't make a difference..

Reactions: Subtle Demise

The9thBit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft and Sony are both massive electronics companies working in multiple industries, and they both have LOADS of experience in constructing secure systems.
Nintendo almost exclusively creates video games. They just don't have the experience or manpower to create an ultra secure system.

This, combined with the fact that Nintendo has a bigger hacking culture surrounding it. There's just more effort going in towards Nintendo than anything else.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also this time Switch just simply has no competition on the handheld\portable gaming console market unless you consider android gaming its rival which is not even though will make way less ppl to buy a portable console.

But this time the fast hacking was by Nvidia them self... We still hear from SciresM that Nintendo software is actually well made and protected.

bones123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it's partially because they're the consoles that have the most exclusive games, and most mod-worthy games. It's a lot of fun to mess around with modded Breath of the Wild, I think it'd be pretty boring to play a modded version of Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Not only that, but it helps that they don't really have much of an online infrastructure. I've had my PSN/XBL accounts for like a decade - I don't want to risk those to run some homebrew, and I imagine that's probably a shared sentiment.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Lack of expertise on Nintendo's part I believe.

Xbox one for instance accepted external hard disks since ever, had Microsoft Edge built in, runs on Windows and has yet to be hacked meanwhile Nintendo tried to remove every entry point at their own console expense (switch doesnt even have a www browser or built-in party chat) but unlike Nintendo I guess Microsoft probably got whole teams invested in security and such.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xone is not hacked probably because at first was a weak console in comparison to PS4, almost all or all exclusives are now on PC and also they were clever adding developer option so hackers instead of trying to hack\devs will start making apps and don't lose time trying to find a way to exploit it.

Maybe now with the power of Xone X more hackers will want to try to exploit it, no idea 4 me its the first Xbox series that I don't care a single bit neither I want to acquire one, guess I will download FC5 to my PC instead :toot:.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the question.
Ps4 and XOne have years around (1 year released after Wii u) and those consoles are not hacked yet (I mean playing backups and all that things)
Wii: 2006. Hacked 2008
Ps3: 2006. Hacked 2010.

Wii U: 2012. Hacked 2015.
Ps4: 2013. Not hacked.
XOne: 2013. Not hacked.

3DS: 2011. Hacked 2013 (Gateway)
PsVita: 2012. Hacked 2016

Switch: 2017. Hacked 2018 (Team Xecuter?)

The difference is obvious. Nintendo's consoles are always the first being hacked.
And that's not all.
Hackers always find a way for hack the Nintendo consoles. You can hack any Nintendo Fw version (3ds: 11.6/last version hacked. wii: 4.3/last version hacked. wii u: 5.5.2/last version...hacked).
In Sony or MS consoles you need to be in a specific FW version.

Even Ps4 or XOne, that have more sells than Wii U aren't hacked! Wii U that may have the half of all the Ps4 sells is already hacked! That's nuts!

And that's my question.

I'm a big Nintendo fan, but I don't like the "let's hack Nintendo first' idea...
I like it this way. Plus, on Nintendo consoles often there's a lot to do after you've hacked it. For other consoles it seems that really the only advantage of a hacked system is "muh gamez"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Lawyer Wario :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: