Is this okay?

• Total voters

nachuz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
First off, I should say that I'm not saying the real name as it is illegal, the name mentioned doesn't lead to anything at all on google, but you get the idea when I say UniversegateNX
I also got permission of a Moderator and an Administrator to post this

So, if you were active like 4 or 5 days ago, you may know that a unknown team is working on a certain complement that you may already know about how it works and I'm not gonna tell how since this could lead to at least one or two being interested on it

This is not okay

This heavily affects the Video Game Industry and is not ethically correct in any form
First off if you are pirating games, is most probably because you have no money for them, even if you bought SX OS/SX Pro, so if you are paying $25 monthly then you can afford software, and you also need SX, you could already buy a legal AAA software to just get this working for a month, supporting the company and developers that made that AAA software

Second, this is super illegal and if you buy it, you could be in trouble too, differently from another app which made the same but on 3DS, which was free and legal, here everything is hosted on a different server, which is super illegal, also, just as a curiosity, their youtube channel says that they are located on Canada, so they are most likely also getting sued on Day 1 and the server will most likely be taken down about that time, if you were at least a little bit interested

Lastly, this is pretty harmful to developers, specially indies ones, an EU study revealed that 1 out of 7 free pirate downloads was a download that otherwise would had lead to a sale that would have never been made, this, of course, is not the case for paid piracy, meaning that probably nearly all the downloads made with this could had lead to a sale, or at least from someone that could afford that copy.

Please, if you are gonna share your opinion in replies, don't mention their name, link their website, say in a explicit form what it does, or any other thing that would encourage people to use it.

Thanks for reading

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not mentioning the name achieves nothing. Anyone who does not know what is being talked about will just go and find out about it. If anything all your thread has done is to advertise the product even more in a round about way.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your not thinking 4th dimensionally.. What happens in 20 years when there is no way to buy the digital titles? That's the main reason it needs to exist. Its for the future.... Companies really only care about 1 and maybe second year sales. That where the money is.

Reactions: cyfaws

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I would love this app if it was free, but there's no way I'm going to pay for to download games, when I can download them without needing to pay. As for piracy - it happens on every 'cracked' console. I'm OK with that as the people that pirate wouldn't have bought most games they download anyway as they are generally disappointing. I find most games I download only get played once and then shelved. Games I bought - mostly tend to get played.

To sum it up, this app would be excellent if it was free, but they won't make any cash from me with this one.

Reactions: IncredulousP

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
First off if you are pirating games, is most probably because you have no money for them, even if you bought SX OS/SX Pro, so if you are paying $25 monthly then you can afford software, and you also need SX, you could already buy a legal AAA software to just get this working for a month, supporting the company and developers that made that AAA software
I don't understand what you mean by "paying $25 monthly", as Nintendo online is only $20 for a YEAR.

Your post is also preachy and whiny against piracy... Which just comes off as cringy in the end.

mrgarrison

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol well damn I didn't read about this and now I'm insanely curious! Now I'm just gonna waste time googling this!

EDIT:

Well that took all of 2 minutes. Bah that will get shutdown. Nintendo's gonna be all over that like... something thats all over something else.

EDIT 2:

I have to wonder tho, did anyone who gives a crap now give a crap back when this was happening to the 3ds? and did it kill the 3ds? me thinks not.... prob hurt it a bit tho.

Last edited by mrgarrison,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This heavily affects the Video Game Industry
Because the 1000 people that are going to use it? They will inflate the amount of users they have, but I dont see them getting many, no one really hacks their switch, it loks like it because your on this forum, but 99% of people feel "it will break my switch" or "oh no I gonna get banned from all those amazing switch online games". Really no one cares about those lost sales, and in reality there aren't many.

mrgarrison

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because the 1000 people that are going to use it? They will inflate the amount of users they have, but I dont see them getting many, no one really hacks their switch, it loks like it because your on this forum, but 99% of people feel "it will break my switch" or "oh no I gonna get banned from all those amazing switch online games". Really no one cares about those lost sales, and in reality there aren't many.

I would agree. I've told at least 10 others with switches about modding the console and all of them are afraid of it. I happen to enjoy it!

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would agree. I've told at least 10 others with switches about modding the console and all of them are afraid of it. I happen to enjoy it!
Probably most of the regulars on gbatemp, myself included, enjoy the modding and having complete control of our system, at least just as much as playing games, if not more.

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the PSone days, I used to go to the flea market with my dad and buy pirated games.Got like 2 games every weekend.That made sense to me back then because I didn't have internet.

Wait...I see who this is marketing towards

Last edited by Andalitez,

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
I feel like very few people/end users are going to hack the Switch. The 3DS - sure, because the system is cheap and it's easy to get another one. The Switch is expensive, plus online is tied to your account on the Switch. 90% of the average joe/jane users aren't going to risk a $379.99 console.

Plus, it's not easy (you need the SX OS license, a jig, another few things). Unlike the Nintendo 3DS, which is permanent and easily done.

Last edited by astrangeone,

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
First off, I should say that I'm not saying the real name as it is illegal, the name mentioned doesn't lead to anything at all on google, but you get the idea when I say UniversegateNX
I also got permission of a Moderator and an Administrator to post this

So, if you were active like 4 or 5 days ago, you may know that a unknown team is working on a certain complement that you may already know about how it works and I'm not gonna tell how since this could lead to at least one or two being interested on it

This is not okay

This heavily affects the Video Game Industry and is not ethically correct in any form

Second, this is super illegal and if you buy it, you could be in trouble too, differently from another app which made the same but on 3DS, which was free and legal, here everything is hosted on a different server, which is super illegal, also, just as a curiosity, their youtube channel says that they are located on Canada, so they are most likely also getting sued on Day 1 and the server will most likely be taken down about that time, if you were at least a little bit interested

Lastly, this is pretty harmful to developers, specially indies ones, an EU study revealed that 1 out of 7 free pirate downloads was a download that otherwise would had lead to a sale that would have never been made, this, of course, is not the case for paid piracy, meaning that probably nearly all the downloads made with this could had lead to a sale, or at least from someone that could afford that copy.

Please, if you are gonna share your opinion in replies, don't mention their name, link their website, say in a explicit form what it does, or any other thing that would encourage people to use it.

Thanks for reading

I wouldn't even pay for THAT service if it was $5 a month, if it was free, I *might* have considered it. Not to mentioned how they said they are doing there are 4 options that come to mind.

1) is most likely but the same as everyone else who can get them for free
2) also likely but we don't know since we can't see the code of the app and it actually connects to the proper cdn
3) and 4) require spoofing fakes or generating reals ones that tied to a console for use for the cdn.

I could type more up on this but I need to head off for now

Reactions: Cybernatus

tinkle

taciturn shill girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think with the risk of bricker code and trojan horse payloads in game's clothing, this is a really good idea for people who want their console safe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer