ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to make this a fun thread:

Ok, I got several Wii's, but I use 1 primarily to test all kinds of apps and other things on. I just backed up my retail disc of smg2 and went to try it and the channel in the menu showed up and when I hit start it gave me a "disc could not be read" error.

I then thought, hmm, maybe a bad dump or something. So I tried a different backup of a different game and it worked, so I made another dump of smg2 with a different app and it would not even display it in the system channel menu. I put the first backup that HAD displayed back in to see if it would display and it didn't. I thought ok, test the other backups as before and now they don't work.

As a matter of a fact ALL MY WII GAMES WILL NOT WORK NOW(ORIGINALS AND BACKUPS). So let me give you some background on this Wii.

Launch Wii
WiiKey 1 (original no clone)
Switch put in for Dual Layer support when there was none.(turns off the power of the chip and leaves the Wii fully functional)
then 3.2U updated (wanin)
replace shell with the Black Knight(so now it's a black Wii)(been that way for prolly 3 years or better)
bootmii
preloader
priiloader
then 4.2U updated (wanin)
I've tested all versions of cIOSCORP(DarkCORP also)
I've tested MMM and SciiFii
I've changed the Menu a thousand times messing around wadder.net
I've tested more apps than you could ever imagine on this thing.
I used it for the primary source of copying my old backups to USB through USBLoader GX. (quite a few)(probably to many)(probably what the problem is)
yaywii.gif

I have been VERY hard on this Wii, I've upgraded and downgraded several times, I've installed and uninstalled SEVERAL cIOS and IOS There isn't really a whole lot this thing hasn't seen or done.

I love my little tester Wii.
wub.gif

I think myself that it's just tired and want's to pass over to the big gaming room in the sky, but I'm not ready for it to go yet.
cry.gif

I have cleaned it out a billion times and once again last night I cleaned it out after a bunch of testing and It is now once again on 3.2U which is just a preference of mine. (what menu version all my custom menus I made are at)

My questions are before I open it up: (be nice when answering please
wink.gif
)

1.) any ios or cios that could be affecting it?

2.) who else here besides me thinks it is the laser?

3.) anyone suggest a good place for a replacement laser if it isn't just dirt on the lens?

4.) how many people love their Wii like I do?
bow.gif

5.) what would you do?

No matter what I can still run usb and all that but that's not the point, dad burn thins been good to me, I just wanna give a little back to it by fixin er up.

Anti

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This also happenned to me. I was playing around and trying to softmod the thing, but it just dies on me. I ended up using an old NAND backup and that restored it.

So do that.

If you can't, i'm sorry i can't help you any further.

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sucks man! ...my SD slot is shitty on my trusty old wii...bootmii can read and write to the SD card, but the wii menu and everything else can't, I know it's not the cards i use cuz i've tried atleast 20-30 different ones and they all do the same shit!...All in all, broken wii or working wii..gotta love the damn thing!

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I would say highly likely its the lens, no reason for it to be IOS related as that would typically give a black screen. As you want to squeeze some more life out of it and its your "test" Wii plus you enjoy tinkering, why not have a fiddle with the pots (especially if you have an ohmmeter).

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
ocdetective said:
I would say highly likely its the lens, no reason for it to be IOS related as that would typically give a black screen. As you want to squeeze some more life out of it and its your "test" Wii plus you enjoy tinkering, why not have a fiddle with the pots (especially if you have an ohmmeter).

Or if you narrow it down to being a hardware issue, you can always just replace the drive

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies, I've been messing about now for a couple hours and found a problem with my ios so i tried to restore with bootmii as suggested and I got it to finally read my originals again but no backups. Then I ran syscheck on 2 Wii's after fiddling some more and found some differences between 2 Wii's (1 works completely, other test Wii don't). Both on 3.2U and test is still having the backup issues. I think I have narrowed it down to an IOS problem and I'm going to try dumping the specific IOS in to wads from the working Wii and install them on the Test Wii to see what I can come up with.

I'll report more back tomorrow.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had this happen to me before. the wii had official 4.2 and it would not read any discs. i used dopmii to install 3.2 and its IOS and the wii read games. then installed 4.2 system menu & its IOS again and it wouldnt read games.

i never found out what caused the issue, but i just restored a older nand dump to fix it.

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
i had this happen to me before. the wii had official 4.2 and it would not read any discs. i used dopmii to install 3.2 and its IOS and the wii read games. then installed 4.2 system menu & its IOS again and it wouldnt read games.

i never found out what caused the issue, but i just restored a older nand dump to fix it.

hmmm, that's when my sd slot took a shit, was when I updated to 4.2...

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:

I thought I'd drop in real quick and leave a note:

This seems to be my exact problem, somewhere in the midst of updating from 3.2U to 4.2U I gained something that did not agree with the drive AT ALL. Very crazy cause I know I had updated it before and it seemed to work fine. This time it did not. I'll be comparing my syscheck.csv's closer tomorrow to see if I can find out more.

ChokeD

The Contributor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently I updated to 4.3U from 3.2U to do some testing and had the same problem again. Here are some vids showing what the changes were to the ios and what they were before the update. I wasn't thinking this was going to happen again so I didn't keep the syscheck.csv's.

I am once again back on 3.2U from a bootmii restore and my SSBB original is working fine but would not work on the updated 4.3U.

Any ideas ???

3.2U

4.3U

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...