GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
"Always" had poor 3rd party support? NES and SNES say "hi."

You were fucking kidding, right? I mean, yeah, Nintendo having poor 3rd party support has been a trend since the N64, no denying that. But to say that Nintendo has "always" had poor 3rd party support and was only about 1st partygames is just objectively false.

Reactions: KingVamp

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Edit:
I think I found the answer to my question
Of those, many are helpful for speedy development (dynamic global illumination saves a lot of light work in certain scenes, etc.), and others like subsurface scattering are mainly for nice graphical effects and wouldn't be required for a game to run on a technical level. They're not things that would exactly be killers in porting a game, this is stuff designers have to deal with anyways when porting games around varying systems.

But that's where something useful about Unity comes in, sharing is encouraged (and they even have a sharing center). For example DOC can be added via this plugin, subsurface scattering can be added as well though most implementation appear to use DX10 because realtime subsurface scattering just became feasible with the major API changes there, etc.

Just an example how lack of native support in an engine isn't always a killer, it just means a bit more work on the devs.

"Always" had poor 3rd party support? NES and SNES say "hi."
To be fair, that's like saying Ford is world-changing and mentioning the assembly line when talking about getting a modern car of theirs versus another manufacturer's.

It doesn't actually affect people getting their modern products. That was years ago.

Reactions: Mantis41

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the consoles that have no games are the ps vita and the wii u, not the wii.
lack of hardcore games sorry...

Wait. WiiU only has HD remakes? lol

And you only had WiiSports and WiiFit and complained about there being a lack of games on the console? lol

yup only hd remakes and again i am talking about third parties (not nintendo first party games like mario)

nopes I have like 150 titles and I end up only playing wiisports and wiifit from time to time with friends.. and oh I forgot new super mario bros; that's a cool game but the other games are fine for the first 2-5 hours and then it gets damn boring and most games you have to admit are for kids

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii has some hardcore games. They just look as if they have been ported from 1998.
haha exactly!! a lot of people say buy wii/wii u just for the nintendo titles! Yeah the nintendo exclusives are great but is it wrong for me to expect better third party support? xbox and ps3 also have their exclusives but that does not mean they are not getting quality third party games

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yup only hd remakes and again i am talking about third parties (not nintendo first party games like mario)

nopes I have like 150 titles and I end up only playing wiisports and wiifit from time to time with friends.. and oh I forgot new super mario bros; that's a cool game but the other games are fine for the first 2-5 hours and then it gets damn boring and most games you have to admit are for kids

What are you talking about HD remakes?!?! There's what... Wind Waker being the only one?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
and you are basing that you have to cut demanding features because....?
Because Google could tell the same thing in a matter of seconds. Epic said it themselves that it is entirely possible to make the UE4 work on the WiiU. Epic isn't the one saying no. They're not going to make the engine work on the WiiU themselves since UE3 is already at the bottom of quite a few of the best WiiU third party games.

Source, Source, etc.

Also the situation is in no way different to the Wii situation. Epic didn't make a Wii version of the UE3, but it doesn't mean it's not possible. It's just that Epic didn't want to dedicate resources into it if the console didn't meet their expectations.

Source

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Google could tell the same thing in a matter of seconds. Epic said it themselves that it is entirely possible to make the UE4 work on the WiiU. Epic isn't the one saying no. They're not going to make the engine work on the WiiU themselves since UE3 is already at the bottom of quite a few of the best WiiU third party games.

Source, Source, etc.

Also the situation is in no way different to the Wii situation. Epic didn't make a Wii version of the UE3, but it doesn't mean it's not possible. It's just that Epic didn't want to dedicate resources into it if the console didn't meet their expectations.

Source
I read all three of your sources... and none of those said you will need to strip down features from the engine to make it run on a wii u... the only part closely to that was from the second source
"You heard the stupid gaffe yesterday about the Wii U," he said. "If someone wants to take Unreal Engine 4 and ship a game on Wii U, they can! If they wanna ship an Unreal Engine 4 game on Xbox 360, they could make it happen." While that game might not look as pretty as it would on a "true" next-gen console, the new engine is scalable to a variety of platforms, including mobile.
which by itself wasn't quoted by rein but just an add up from the editor... which is based on his own opinion...

I say close this thread as its confusing even with the new title... according to the title wii u won't get UE4 while in reality epic won't be porting the engine officially, but anyone else who wants to can do it...

Reactions: JoostinOnline

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Removing features to make engines lighter so they run on older hardware doesn't need a source.

It's like, asking for a source that bikes are generally ridden with your butt on the seat instead of your face.

Nobody would write an article stating that because Fucking Duh™.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Removing features to make engines lighter so they run on older hardware doesn't need a source.

It's like, asking for a source that bikes are generally ridden with your butt on the seat instead of your face.

Nobody would write an article stating that because Fucking Duh™.
The problem is that I am talking about the wii u and not the wii...

They could state that it is indeed a must to remove features from the engine for the wii u, but they didn't...

also just for the lol:
upside-down-bicycle-riding.jpg

Veiva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game engines like Unreal are inherently scalable. That's the beauty of these beasts. Unreal 4 is made to be as scalable as possible (it can run on HTML5, mobile, consoles, and PC--all these platforms have very different needs and capabilities, but Unreal manages). To say they would have to strip out features shows a lack of understanding. The proper term is they would have to scale back on features. Textures may not be able to be 4096 x 4096, and you may not be able to run at 1080p. However, I'm sure that most features of Unreal would be able to be implemented on the Wii U, especially considering it has DirectX 10.1 level features.

To clarify, it may not support hardware tessellation and other features that are necessary for the hardware to support, but anything else, it surely can. In fact, because the hardware is accessed at a much lower level on consoles than on the PC, a developer could very well implement features not natively supported. This is true especially so with GPGPU technology. For example, Microsoft's DirectX feature set on the Xbox 360 has features not present on a consumer-level equivalent card. I believe one of these features is multisampled render targets.

So, while Epic may not be porting Unreal to the Wii U, it does not mean that another developer has to port a bastardized version of the engine. On the contrary, it would just mean they have to scale back on things like textures, resolution, etc.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
;)
the wii u right now is the newest piece of hardware... saying it's old tech comparing to unannounced specs is useless
But we do have enough specs to know it's old tech. Both official and unofficial data says the CPU is in the 750 family.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-clockspeeds-found-by-marcan-wii-hacker.338319/#post-4466329
We don't know which exact model, but the 750 family is an old architecture by today's standards.

It's like how Firefox, starting with version 5.0, requires SSE2, so processors without that instruction set won't be able to run it properly. Even if something like a Pentium-III was produced brand-new today and ran at 4GHz, it still would lack SSE2 and thus not run it. New CPU, but old tech.

To say they would have to strip out features shows a lack of understanding. The proper term is they would have to scale back on features.
M'kay, so how do you do SSAO in a software rasterizer in HTML5 while maintaining a playable framerate? :P Just using that as an extreme example...

Reactions: Foxi4

Veiva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
M'kay, so how do you do SSAO in a software rasterizer in HTML5 while maintaining a playable framerate? :P Just using that as an extreme example...

You can do SSAO in WebGL. This is because WebGL supports all OpenGL ES 2.0 features. It's not something that is truly that demanding in modern hardware.

Example 1: http://alteredqualia.com/three/examples/webgl_postprocessing_ssao.html
Example 2: http://codeflow.org/entries/2011/oct/25/webgl-screenspace-ambient-occlusion/

I consider WebGL a "HTML5" feature, in any case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo