Gaming Wii U reached its full graphical capability in 2013.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The thing though is that if you do end up making a PC that performs as good as a PS4 for $500, you have, in reality, made something far more capable than a PS4 because that's just how a PC is. And, on another subject, if you do make it just for games, the benefit of having made a PC system with PS4 performance saves in the end as games are cheaper on PC. A bigger upfront cost, but savings in the end.
That is very correct - a PC that performs about as well as a PS4 in gaming gives you more opportunities. Thing is, it comes at a $100+ premium which some people who just want to game may not be interested in paying. My point is, the system is good value for the money if all you want is to slump on your couch, grab a controller and play. Not everyone's interested in PC-related shenanigans, consoles were designed for all those people. Yes, you will be able to build a PC with equivalent horsepower cheaply soon, but the price of the PS4 is likely to drop at that point as well. It's literally always been like this, PC was practically always a few steps ahead of consoles. A console is supposed to be a low-cost plug-and-play alternative that performs adequately, that's all it has to do.

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
. A console is supposed to be a low-cost plug-and-play alternative that performs adequately, that's all it has to do.

Since when did a Console become an alternative? First console I own was a Genesis, the reason I get newer console is because I I like the games they have and most games are gonna be developed for that platform as well.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since when did a Console become an alternative? First console I own was a Genesis, the reason I get newer console is because I I like the games they have and most games are gonna be developed for that platform as well.
Consoles are alternatives to computers by design, they always have been, and before home computers became mainstream, they were an alternative to "trips to the arcade".

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
But all of this gen's systems were made in the 7th generation, just like last-gen systems were made in the generation prior. :P
You know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the point is that he's either too dumb to know that a generation is about dates (a system released now that could only play PONG would still be 8th gen), or he's looking to pick a fight. History suggests the latter.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the point is that he's either too dumb to know that a generation is about dates (a system released now that could only play PONG would still be 8th gen), or he's looking to pick a fight. History suggests the latter.

And people wonder why I have reservations about participating in these discussions.

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consoles are alternatives to computers by design, they always have been, and before home computers became mainstream, they were an alternative to "trips to the arcade".
A very valid point-
I can understand that they were arcades at home (16 bit era) but I would say now console have been independently a main/primary source for gaming instead of an alternative has PC are primarily made for functions other than gaming.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A very valid point-
I can understand that they were arcades at home (16 bit era) but I would say now console have been independently a main/primary source for gaming instead of an alternative has PC are primarily made for functions other than gaming.
Gaming is infinitely more prolific and open on PC and the PC sector is raking in more profit and more sales than the console sector. Consoles are as much alternatives to PC as they always have been and what's keeping them alive is the exclusive content, ease of use, higher affordability and longevity of hardware and dedicated services. PC gaming's huge and it's only getting bigger these days as "gaming-capable" hardware becomes more common and more affordable. ;)

inb4IBecomeFoxi4PCAllOfASudden

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Well, perhaps it's the simplicity of consoles with the price point they have that make them to go-to solution for gaming. I mean, I'm sure most of us here know how to build our own computer with reasonable research and budget to get the kind of performance a PS4 has. I own a Wii U for my exclusive needs and a PC for my 3rd-party needs. The thing though is that we are not the majority. How many from the actual majority would care to go through the steps for building a PC in this regard when it's so much easier to just get a console?

Also, thanks for merging my posts, Foxi4. I should have edited my post in the first place.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, perhaps it's the simplicity of consoles with the price point they have that make them to go-to solution for gaming. I mean, I'm sure most of us here know how to build our own computer with reasonable research and budget to get the kind of performance a PS4 has. I own a Wii U for my exclusive needs and a PC for my 3rd-party needs. The thing though is that we are not the majority. How many from the actual majority would care to go through the steps for building a PC in this regard when it's so much easier to just get a console?

Also, thanks for merging my posts, Foxi4. I should have edited my post in the first place.
Here's the thing though - you gradually don't have to. More and more simple desktops and laptops are "gaming-capable" since development cycles are so long that technology catches up with them and by the time a game for "future hardware" is released, the "future" is "now". A very basic PC can pull of games on low-to-mid just fine, so all you really need is Steam and you're ready to go. The problems spring from compatibility issues, random problems and troubleshooting etc. - you just don't experience that on consoles since games are made for one pre-determined machine.

No problemo Disco. ;)
Oh wow another Dynasty Warriors rehashed game *sigh* Omega Force really doesn't give a fuck about innovating their games than from being overly repetitive shit.
You don't need to re-invent the wheel, y'know. How did Mario side-scrollers evolve over the course of two decades? As far as I'm concerned, the only major difference between Super Mario World 3 and New Super Mario Bros. 2 I see are the graphics. Does that make the new game bad? No, not really.

inb4NSMB2IsForGraphicsWhores

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U is part of the eighth generation despite its hardware being lower than PS4/XO it doesn't invalidate it from the fact.

8th Gen:
PS4, XO, WU

7th Gen:
360, PS3, Wii

6th Gen:
DC, PS2, NGC, OX

5th Gen:
N64, PS1, Saturn

And so on.

My point is that it doesn't live up to the standards of the generation. It's underpowered and underwhelming. And everyone is just excepting this mediocrity as "Nintendo being a rebel" or "keeping things affordable." Stop making excuses for it and just accept it. Enjoy the system, but realize that it could be so much better.

Reactions: Arras

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
You don't need to re-invent the wheel, y'know. How did Mario side-scrollers evolve over the course of two decades? As far as I'm concerned, the only major difference between Super Mario World 3 and New Super Mario Bros. 2 I see are the graphics. Does that make the new game bad? No, not really.

inb4NSMB2IsForGraphicsWhores

It wasn't just the graphics but also the gameplay engine was worked on and between Mario NES, Mario SNES and New Mario Bros. I've come along to prefer the gameplay of the New Mario Bros. games over the original it just feels better for me, but the difficulty was dropped considerably (NSMBU was kinda too easy).

Now with Omega Force they more or less keep reskinning games without putting much effort into them and something as important as framerate also's forgotten, but I've never considered them to be a quality development team so it explains why their games are below average.

But I digress, if there's customers who enjoy games by Omega Force then more power to them!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It wasn't just the graphics but also the gameplay engine was worked on and between Mario NES, Mario SNES and New Mario Bros. I've come along to prefer the gameplay of the New Mario Bros. games over the original it just feels better for me, but the difficulty was dropped considerably (NSMBU was kinda too easy).
If you say so. I see the exact same game - go right, jump on baddies, pick up the occasional power-up, jump on a pole or whatever, eventually get to a castle, rinse and repeat. There's nothing inherently new about New Super Mario Bros. other than the graphics and maybe the twirly special move, if you could count that as innovation. The game nails "platforming" as-is and does not require groundbreaking changes, much like Dynasty Warriors games nail the "hit every grunt in sight in the face" as-is and don't really require innovation, just new content and mild adjustments.

As far as development is concerned, Omega Force focuses on making the A.I. count as high as humanly possible, that's the main focus. The whole point of the games is to let you kill countless waves of enemies with your attacks, throw them around like rag dolls and cause general havoc - it's a pretty resource-intensive task.

ViDeOmAnCiNi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha ha.. this topic is a troll. Dev's will always find ways to wring better performance and graphics out of systems. The Wii U's potential has not even been scratched. Look at the 3DS - it's been out forever and games still get better on it. Move on. Nothing more to see here. Time to close it.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you say so. I see the exact same game - go right, jump on baddies, pick up the occasional power-up, jump on a pole or whatever, eventually get to a castle, rinse and repeat. There's nothing inherently new about New Super Mario Bros. other than the graphics and maybe the twirly special move, if you could count that as innovation. The game nails "platforming" as-is and does not require groundbreaking changes, much like Dynasty Warriors games nail the "hit every grunt in sight in the face" as-is and don't really require innovation, just new content and mild adjustments.
I'd say bringing in the triple jump and wall jump from Mario 64 is "new" to the 2D platforming, and then the simultaneous multiplayer was also new. For the most part, though, the NSMB series has not been as innovative as its 2D predecessors.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

As far as development is concerned, Omega Force focuses on making the A.I. count as high as humanly possible, that's the main focus. The whole point of the games is to let you kill countless waves of enemies with your attacks, throw them around like rag dolls and cause general havoc - it's a pretty resource-intensive task.

If you had played NSMB and the original Mario games you'd have noticed that the gameplay differs from each one, and there's no fucking point bring up the "this is a platform, you jump on goombas, get a mushroom, go forward and then you're at the finish line" for this kind of logic you can say that BTTF is just a guy who went to the past, almost banged his own mother and then came back to the present.

Also, if Omega Force did try to make the AI responsive enough they wouldn't just stand there or doing just minimal damage. Dynasty Warriors' games are very mediocre, low quality, repetitive and stale certainly not for everyone.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you had played NSMB and the original Mario games you'd have noticed that the gameplay differs from each one, and there's no fucking point bring up the "this is a platform, you jump on goombas, get a mushroom, go forward and then you're at the finish line" for this kind of logic you can say that BTTF is just a guy who went to the past, almost banged his own mother and then came back to the present.

Also, if Omega Force did try to make the AI responsive enough they wouldn't just stand there or doing just minimal damage. Dynasty Warriors' games are very mediocre, low quality, repetitive and stale certainly not for everyone.
Having played loads of Mario games I can safely say that the side-scrolling ones have not changed much over the course of the years. As for liking or disliking Dynasty Warriors, the games are shlock, but they're fun shlock, which is all that matters.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Can you please use English words?!

The definition of "shlock" is:

n. Slang.
something of cheap or inferior quality.

[1910–15; appar. < Yiddish shlak apoplectic stroke, evil, nuisance, wretch (compare Middle High German slac(g) blow; see slay)]

So while I had to google for the definition of "shlock" I agree with you that Dynasty Warriors is a tacky product.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you please use English words?!

The definition of "shlock" is:

So while I had to google for the definition of "shlock" I agree with you that Dynasty Warriors is a tacky product.

It's not his fault you don't know a commonly used word. Besides, "Schlock" is English, it just has yiddish roots.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo