Hacking Wii U support in Dolphin

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could do that, too bad my CPU is only a Core i5 lol :D
i5 vs i7 shouldn't make a difference, I'd think, since what separates them is hyperthreading. An i5's already quad-core, and I believe dolphin only makes use of three if you decide to do LLE on a separate core.
Or are you on a laptop?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i5 vs i7 shouldn't make a difference, I'd think, since what separates them is hyperthreading. An i5's already quad-core, and I believe dolphin only makes use of three if you decide to do LLE on a separate core.
Or are you on a laptop?

On a desktop, have a Core i5 3570 (non K version since I don't OC), most games run pretty well, games like The Last Story, are among the most intensive for Dolphin, and require an overclock. Most games don't even need LLE anymore as the HLE code has had a massive rewrite, only a few actually need it like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and a few others, but yeah, HLE is that good now. Tales of Symphonia used to require it, but now has perfect sound in HLE. LLE kills performance for my CPU, so I never really use it unless I have to.

pdensco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I started adding Wii U support to the Dolphin emulator.
Currently it can recognize your Wii U games (in addition to your GameCube and Wii games) in either WUD or ISO format, recognize what region it is, what size it is, get the game ID, and most importantly read the file system and extract files for all partitions except the game partition. Also it lets you open RPX files, although they don't load correctly.
It can only find the partitions and read the file system for games where the title key has been released. Don't ask me how to rip your games from your WiiU, because I don't know, but some people seem to manage it.

Currently this is only useful for hackers who want to examine the update partition (I heard some exploit authors wanted binaries), or collectors who want to show off their list of games, or people who are curious what's on those discs, or people who want to work on emulating the Wii U.
IT DOES NOT PLAY WII U GAMES YET.

The source code is here on github (requires Visual Studio 2013, or if you are on linux you may need to modify the build system to include the extra files in the DiscIO module):
https://github.com/CarlKenner/dolphin/tree/WiiU

There is a bug with at least 3 of the file names on SM3DW, where the names are not read correctly, which I believe is caused by the filenames being split across the cluster boundary. Which means there is probably also a bug which corrupts some of the contents of other files where that happens. So don't rely on files being 100% accurate. The files whose formats I can understand, like app.xml or update.inf.USA, seem to be working perfectly (which is an especially good sign because those files are actually garbled when you decrypt the entire disc image with OpenSSL, at least on SM3DW).

I hope this will provide a starting point for other people who want to work on adding Wii U support to Dolphin. I believe the next step should be to try to get RPX files to load and to be viewable in Dolphin's debugger (use the command line option -d I think). Then we can work on getting simple hello world rpx files to work with high level emulation of SDK functions.

EDIT: I should point out that this is not in the official dolphin builds, just in my unofficial branch that I posted above.

EDIT: Screenshot
Whrs the link to download it????????

YOGIV ME

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Or are you on a laptop?

I also have problems running a lot of Dolphin games in HD at even 30 fps too and I have an Intel Core i5 650, 2 cores, 4 threads I dunno if its good enough for emulating Wii HD :(

I dont feel my AMD Radeon 6950 HD is the issue however as thats a decent card atleast for Dolphin standards

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have problems running a lot of Dolphin games in HD at even 30 fps too and I have an Intel Core i5 650, 2 cores, 4 threads I dunno if its good enough for emulating Wii HD :(

I dont feel my AMD Radeon 6950 HD is the issue however as thats a decent card atleast for Dolphin standards
two cores? Are you running on a laptop?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Explain the Wii U game dumps then. Because obviously, it's possible to rip Wii U games.

Better yet, explain how OP has a Wii U game loaded up in Dolphin.
Exactly that, the only reason that there are any in the first place is that some people invested time and money into some custom hardware to dump all the data from the disc. It's still encrypted, it's not like we can decrypt it yet considering we need the common key for that. Unless you specifically go talk to them to dump a Wii U game of your choice, don't expect to see much more any time soon. The way it's "loaded" in Dolphin is because it's not that difficult to tell the gui to load files, and then the first "section" with the system update data is able to be decrypted because all of the dumps came with a unique key in the readme to decrypt it.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly that, the only reason that there are any in the first place is that some people invested time and money into some custom hardware to dump all the data from the disc. It's still encrypted, it's not like we can decrypt it yet considering we need the common key for that. Unless you specifically go talk to them to dump a Wii U game of your choice, don't expect to see much more any time soon. The way it's "loaded" in Dolphin is because it's not that difficult to tell the gui to load files, and then the first "section" with the system update data is able to be decrypted because all of the dumps came with a unique key in the readme to decrypt it.
Is it that difficult to read the thread?
EDIT: As for when, it was back in May. http://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-game-dumps-list-and-nfo.366269/

sonic1000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, when I try to compile the 32 bit installer with NSIS, I get this error:
File: "..\Binary\Win32\Dolphin.exe" -> no files found.
Usage: File [/nonfatal] [/a] ([/r] [/x filespec [...]] filespec [...] |
/oname=outfile one_file_only)
!include: error in script: "installer.nsi" on line 124
Error in script "C:\Users\livingroom\Downloads\dolphin-WiiU\dolphin-WiiU\Installer\Installer_win32.nsi" on line 5 -- aborting creation process.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ sypt: youre a life saver <3