Hacking Homebrew Misc WiiU freezes on startup after recent 2022 update.

BlueRogueAnna

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My console was auto-updating when I turned it back on a few weeks ago, I wanted to play some Gamecube games I had installed. I went and tried to use the exploit to run my games when the web browser crashed. Then, when I tried restarting the console, it started freezing before startup. I'm assuming it's now a brick since it could've been mid-update, but it still boots up to the profile selection screen, I wanted to ask: Is there any way to fix it? Could I possibly undo the damaged update?

I don't wanna give up on my console. But if that's that, then I'll put it in its box for storage.

If there's any way to fix it, I'm willing to try. I brought some 3DS consoles back from similar issues, maybe this can happen to my WiiU.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Right after hacking your wii u, you should have deleted the update folder, coz if it update but you already hacked your Wii U, of course it'll brick...
Don't you know an app called "UFDiine"? It deletes the update folder of the Wii U. It's on the homebrew app store.
I don't think you can recover from that brick.. See guides on how to mod a WiiU.
I use tiramisu, and I never let the update folder exist(I mean, never undelete the update folder).
got my wiiu hacked since when it was first hackable like 5.05 or something and i letted it update everytime and didnt brick, the issue here its the shutdown when installing the update im guessing, he corrupted the system, same way you can corrupt a pc if you shut it down mid update and so on, up+dating while hacked doesnt change anything. since nintendo never patched out the hacks we use.

BlueRogueAnna

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Right after hacking your wii u, you should have deleted the update folder, coz if it update but you already hacked your Wii U, of course it'll brick...
Don't you know an app called "UFDiine"? It deletes the update folder of the Wii U. It's on the homebrew app store.
I don't think you can recover from that brick.. See guides on how to mod a WiiU.
I use tiramisu, and I never let the update folder exist(I mean, never undelete the update folder).
My WiiU had updated before just fine, I even played MK8 online without issue. What I think happened is that when it crashed, it was doing something important. Apparently, this new update has messed up others' consoles too, some of which (claim) never had any hacks installed.

Wathever happened, even if I did nand backups or not, wether I played online or not, seems to have no fix right now. I bet it will, sometime in the future. Until then, all I can do is wait.

ComicallyCartoony

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My console was auto-updating when I turned it back on a few weeks ago, I wanted to play some Gamecube games I had installed. I went and tried to use the exploit to run my games when the web browser crashed. Then, when I tried restarting the console, it started freezing before startup. I'm assuming it's now a brick since it could've been mid-update, but it still boots up to the profile selection screen, I wanted to ask: Is there any way to fix it? Could I possibly undo the damaged update?

I don't wanna give up on my console. But if that's that, then I'll put it in its box for storage.

If there's any way to fix it, I'm willing to try. I brought some 3DS consoles back from similar issues, maybe this can happen to my WiiU.
Nintendo usually sends out those stupid "Stabillity updates" to brick your console.
If you have a NAND backup anywhere, you can restore it :D

Reactions: BlueRogueAnna

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
I'm assuming it's now a brick since it could've been mid-update, but it still boots up to the profile selection screen, I wanted to ask: Is there any way to fix it? Could I possibly undo the damaged update?
if you have a unpatched switch, you can run this to fix your wiiu.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/udpih-usb-host-stack-exploit-recovery-menu.613369/
it can be useful in recovering your system. (since the other method is hardmodding, and it's way harder. And considering you still get to the account menu, IOSU is likely fine)

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried booting it right into Wii mode actually, is that an official method? I think I never heard of it. I may try it later, since I already unplugged and moved the console.
Yeah, holding B on whichever controller you used to turn on the Wii U will make it skip directly to the vWii (known as "Wii Mode" or the "Wii Menu" in some Nintendo documentation)
Post automatically merged:

I refer to that menu when you press the 'HOME' button as the 'Pause Menu'.
HOME Menu = HOME Button Menu
Wii U Menu = Menu that you see after selecting a user, or exiting a game.
Post automatically merged:

Nintendo usually sends out those stupid "Stabillity updates" to brick your console.
If you have a NAND backup anywhere, you can restore it :D
Nintendo doesn't ever intentionally brick consoles via updates; the most they've ever done is try to REMOVE homebrew via updates, especially back in the old days, like with the Wii Menu 4.2 update meant to update Boot2 to v4, to remove BootMii-boot2. (That update DID accidentally brick a few Wiis, including non-homebrewed ones!)

Last edited by jeffyTheHomebrewer,
Reactions: BlueRogueAnna

BlueRogueAnna

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
if you have a unpatched switch, you can run this to fix your wiiu.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/udpih-usb-host-stack-exploit-recovery-menu.613369/
it can be useful in recovering your system. (since the other method is hardmodding, and it's way harder. And considering you still get to the account menu, IOSU is likely fine)
It has instructions for the pico and linux but not the switch. And it also asks me to mod my switch, which I don't wanna do right now since we're gonna buy a game + DLC tomorrow, and I use it all the time; I just recently bought a couple of games that were at a discount.

I'd check it out if I had a switch I wasn't planning on using, but it's nice to have an option, I might buy a new switch to try this!

Last edited by BlueRogueAnna,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got my wiiu hacked since when it was first hackable like 5.05 or something and i letted it update everytime and didnt brick, the issue here its the shutdown when installing the update im guessing, he corrupted the system, same way you can corrupt a pc if you shut it down mid update and so on, up+dating while hacked doesnt change anything. since nintendo never patched out the hacks we use.
I bought a very old switch on the first firmware that was exploitable. however, we had to use loadiine with games. I remember the star fox game taking 20 minutes to boot up. what a nightmare that was.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I bought a very old switch on the first firmware that was exploitable. however, we had to use loadiine with games. I remember the star fox game taking 20 minutes to boot up. what a nightmare that was.
yeah early wiiu days were not very fun, loadiine is still useful to test injects i still do it on loadiine xD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok