Hacking Question Will updating with a cart to 4.1.0 using SX OS 1.2 burn any fuses and are there any drawbacks?

Anthony D'Amico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
SX OS 1.1 prevents the fuses from being burnt but didn't bypass the fuse check. This was why users were told to avoid it with his method because if you updated without burning fuses, you cannot load SX OS anymore with their loader. 1.2 now implements the fuse check so they're identical when it comes to fuse burning and bypassing. Only issue is you risk burning fuses if you don't use their loader to boot the Switch since the Switch's built-in bootloader will burn the fuses. AutoRCM is intended to prevent that from ever happening.

Draxzelex, you make a comment at the end of this post that if you use SXOS to update to prevent burnt fuses, you have to use SX Pro/SX OS loader to boot into the switch. Does that mean you can only use SX OS moving forward? Or can you still use the custom payload option to boot into Hekate/layerFS without burning fuses?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Draxzelex, you make a comment at the end of this post that if you use SXOS to update to prevent burnt fuses, you have to use SX Pro/SX OS loader to boot into the switch. Does that mean you can only use SX OS moving forward? Or can you still use the custom payload option to boot into Hekate/layerFS without burning fuses?
People who use SX OS are mainly using it to play backups. However, SX OS can only be loaded via the SX Loader. You cannot boot into SX OS with Hekate, the other bootloader everyone uses to boot the WIP Atmosphere files so they can play homebrew. I'm making the assumption that if you're going to update and not burn your fuses with SX OS, that you plan on using SX OS fully. If you want to have the option between Hekate and the SX Loader, you will have to wait until someone modifies Hekate to be able to boot into SX OS.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was going to do it today but i decided against it. Only for the fact that there is no way to stop the cart reader fw from being updated at this time. If ever we need cart function on lower firmware I would be screwed.
Also, if you mess up the timing to get back into RCM then game over man. Game over...
If I had a switch above 3.0.0 I would have already tried it.
Just gonna wait a little longer for emunand. Already waited this long.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest problem is really if they find a way to exploit on a lower FW with coldboot and would be the old method of game saves, we sadly would not be able to buy the game to run and mod the save ;).

But also with atmosphere we don't know if it would also update the game cartridge, though maybe SciresM later could find a way to bypass it (in case it has the same problem).

D

Deleted User

People who use SX OS are mainly using it to play backups. However, SX OS can only be loaded via the SX Loader. You cannot boot into SX OS with Hekate, the other bootloader everyone uses to boot the WIP Atmosphere files so they can play homebrew. I'm making the assumption that if you're going to update and not burn your fuses with SX OS, that you plan on using SX OS fully. If you want to have the option between Hekate and the SX Loader, you will have to wait until someone modifies Hekate to be able to boot into SX OS.
That makes no sense. SX OS is like Hekate. That's like asking Android to boot iOS.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Team executer protected their files, at least that's what the hacker trying to hack it reported that if you try loading it trough hekate it bricks the console on purpose (now the verity of it I have no clue and don't care at all).

benson733

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To my understanding it would update to 4.1.0 and the fuses would be burnt. I am under the assumption that the fuse protection is only for when you boot into firmware updated via the unofficial method posted by rajkosto. However your Cartridge slot will also be upgraded and will not read games on lower firmware versions if you were to revert back.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my understanding it would update to 4.1.0 and the fuses would be burnt. I am under the assumption that the fuse protection is only for when you boot into firmware updated via the unofficial method posted by rajkosto. However your Cartridge slot will also be upgraded and will not read games on lower firmware versions if you were to revert back.
rajkosto's method just involves using a combo of AutoRCM (to prevent the Switch from using Nintendo's bootloader which burns fuses) and Hekate (prevents fuses from being burnt as well as bypasses the fuse check). SX OS v1.2 has both of the necessary features of Hekate in order to do the same thing so it can be fully substituted.

The reason this has probably not been attempted yet is because there is no benefit of updating to 4.1 via this method. You lose the ability to play cartridges on all firemwares below 4.0 and you cannot play online. This is only useful if there's a game that requires a maximum of 4.1 firmware to play but you don't want to update to 5.X for another reason.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
When are fuses burnt?
Only in the bootloader?
Or in the os too?

If it's just the bootloader, we have nothing to worry about because autorcm bypasses that.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When are fuses burnt?
Only in the bootloader?
Or in the os too?

If it's just the bootloader, we have nothing to worry about because autorcm bypasses that.
When your system firmware is updated, your console restarts. That is because the bootloader checks the fuses burnt with the current firmware. If there are less than the number of expected fuses burnt compared to the firmware, it burns them to compensate. Horizon has no way of burning fuses. Doubtful Nintendo may change that in the future firmware update, but I suppose the possibility exists.

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
When your system firmware is updated, your console restarts. That is because the bootloader checks the fuses burnt with the current firmware. If there are less than the number of expected fuses burnt compared to the firmware, it burns them to compensate. Horizon has no way of burning fuses. Doubtful Nintendo may change that in the future firmware update, but I suppose the possibility exists.
Sorry, yeah I know that.
What I'm saying is, if that is the only time fuses are burnt, it's safe to carry out this method.
(xenon is still looking for confirmation, but I think it should be ok) :)

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, yeah I know that.
What I'm saying is, if that is the only time fuses are burnt, it's safe to carry out this method.
From what im getting it should be safe assuming I auto RCM and just update while in CFW mode

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, yeah I know that.
I've stated multiple times that unless TX is lying about the fuse protection and bypassing in SX OS, then it should work just as well as using rajkostos' method and Hekate. Although some people I guess prefer to see to believe. I can postulate some guesses why some might have lost trust in TX, but that's based on your personal beliefs (not to mention that TX still has over a decade of scene experience).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ken do you think any of them asked for a different tattoo? Like could I get a star of David...