Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Build 1709 support ends with April 2019

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK none of these registry settings/services have any bearing on how the rest of the OS runs, and I haven't had a single issue since changing them long ago.
I'll be damned and the more I look at it, yeah, it definitely doesn't seem to be impinging on any vital functions of the OS itself. I'm just a tad nervous as registry editing isn't for the faint of heart.

Correct, they don't. Just change what you're instructed to and you're fine.

Yeah, definitely, I wouldn't want to edit anything else. Telemetry is completely unnecessary.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People on here saying windows 10 is not exploitable. lol Must be smoking some of that good herb. Can i get some so i can live in bliss?

The data on my windows 98 machine is safer then windows 10 because it never is connected to a network lol.

@FanboyKilla vmware is cheating... My xp desktop i built in 2007 and its been running windows xp since then. its been on 24/7 and never received updates besides the ones on an older xp sp2 disc. It still runs Symantec corporate antivirus lol. Played all my xp era and earlier games. Rocking tcp/ip and the IPX protocols. IPX FTW. That xp machine is visible to the web on port 80. The web server is so basic u cant even exploite it as it runs no scripts other then a static generated file page....

Last edited by Captain_N,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People on here saying windows 10 is not exploitable. lol Must be smoking some of that good herb. Can i get some so i can live in bliss?

The data on my windows 98 machine is safer then windows 10 because it never is connected to a network lol.

@FanboyKilla vmware is cheating... My xp desktop i built in 2007 and its been running windows xp since then. its been on 24/7 and never received updates besides the ones on an older xp sp2 disc. It still runs Symantec corporate antivirus lol. Played all my xp era and earlier games. Rocking tcp/ip and the IPX protocols. IPX FTW. That xp machine is visible to the web on port 80. The web server is so basic u cant even exploite it as it runs no scripts other then a static generated file page....

No OS is completely infallible, people are imperfect and by virtue, all software is imperfect. How vulnerable said OS is depends on many factors. Nevertheless, I'd much rather use Windows 10 than Vista, ME or 8 any day of the week, as they're all garbage.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No software is 100% free from bugs and exploits, it's about the degree to which you're secure. No reason to leave open more vulnerabilities than is absolutely necessary.

Reactions: the_randomizer

FanboyKilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Xzi said, "Try a fresh install of Windows XP, and I guarantee you that somebody will have complete remote control of your PC before you can finish installing any of the service packs."

So I did just that, Fresh install of Windows XP SP3, computer is fully connected to the internet, and even went a step further and let the clock run up to 23 minutes and 38 seconds AFTER my install was complete! Yet for some reason the boogeyman never came to take "complete remote control" of my PC.
jerkit.gif

But yes, you've proved my point even further by having an XP Desktop that you built in 2007 that is still up and running to this day. You know that, I know that, but these n00bs don't understand that!
lol.gif

I also have computers running Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Debian, Windows 8.1 etc etc. The difference is, I actually CHOOSE to NOT use Windows 10 because it straight up SUCKS and brings NOTHING USEFUL to my desktop to justify having to deal with all the ISSUES that go with it! n00bs who think it's cool and awesome just don't know any better. A lot of them bought their computer at the usual big box stores like Best Buy or Office Depot, and Windows 10 came preinstalled. So they just "deal with it" because they don't know know how to install anything else. And that's completely fine for those types of people. But those same types of people shouldn't been running around polluting the forums with their shitty ass "expert advice" when the reality is, they don't even know WTF the Windows "Registry" is or what "Group Policies" are or what a "WIM" file is or what "DISM" is used for! Can you believe there was even one guy in this thread talking about how he switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10 because he couldn't get his SCREEN SAVER to work right? Like WTF? LMAO! All they know is how to turn the computer on, how to get into the web browser, and how to surf the internet! Yet they wanna troll around polluting the forums trying to argue their ridiculous "expert opinions" to someone who is in the IT field and deals with this shit EVERY SINGLE DAY and has been <b>building computers</b> since the MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 days!
rolleyes.gif

Regardless, I honestly could care less WHAT these n00bs wanna run on their shitty computers! If it wasn't for people like them I wouldn't make as much money doing side jobs as I do. But that don't mean I'm gonna just play along when they're over here polluting the internet with their shitty "expert" advice. At the end of the day, people like them will always get what's coming to them, and either me or someone like me will be there to PROFIT from it!
cool.gif
Realistically though, it's highly unlikely any of these n00bs would know any PROS that would repair their computers. They're the kind of people who end up at the Geek Squad counter inside their local Best Buy.
lol.gif

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
wait, i dont get it, doesn't windows 10 automatically updates itself and even there are countless people in the internet complaining about updating at the wrong moments..
Companies don't update their computer park to every major version as soon as they are available at all. They stay on the oldest and stablest version as long as they can, as long as it is supported.

People think they're smart because they've turned off auto updates.
Well, given how broken their updates are, it's not necessarily so dumb.
This post summaries it https://gbatemp.net/threads/windows...ort-ends-with-april-2019.533583/#post-8572064
I didn't run into the 1809 file deletion bug because I actually didn't use my computer while that update was available, but I ran into the file association bug and it was very annoying to always do "right-click, open with" to open my files just because I auto-updated to bullshit. I had to use a linux file explorer on the WSL while waiting for Microsoft to fix their shit.

Just a clarification though, I don't want to sound like a Windows 10 hater when I actually think it's the best Windows out there. Yes it's broken from everywhere, but at least it has basic features (virtual desktops, task view, dark mode, tabbed explorer coming soon™ (well I hope it won't be delayed again), WSL), unlike all other Windows versions before that.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I actually CHOOSE to NOT use Windows 10 because it straight up SUCKS
Or you're just straight-up trying too hard to be an edgelord. You haven't even given a good reason why it sucks other than "QQ I have to disable telemetry." Vista objectively sucks. Launch Win8 objectively sucked. You're not going to get that kind of consensus for Windows 10.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't editing the registry put myself or the OS at risk of uh, well, becoming unstable? I don't want the OS to magically run badly after I reset it lol.

This tool helps you to not tinker around in the registry.

https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/

It workes on all Windows 10 versions.It let you disable 85 % of the Microsoft "phoning home" things easy and with good explanations.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Companies don't update their computer park to every major version as soon as they are available at all. They stay on the oldest and stablest version as long as they can, as long as it is supported.

Well, given how broken their updates are, it's not necessarily so dumb.
This post summaries it https://gbatemp.net/threads/windows...ort-ends-with-april-2019.533583/#post-8572064
I didn't run into the 1809 file deletion bug because I actually didn't use my computer while that update was available, but I ran into the file association bug and it was very annoying to always do "right-click, open with" to open my files just because I auto-updated to bullshit. I had to use a linux file explorer on the WSL while waiting for Microsoft to fix their shit.

Just a clarification though, I don't want to sound like a Windows 10 hater when I actually think it's the best Windows out there. Yes it's broken from everywhere, but at least it has basic features (virtual desktops, task view, dark mode, tabbed explorer coming soon™ (well I hope it won't be delayed again), WSL), unlike all other Windows versions before that.
I can understand that some have seen issues with updates. I know a guy that had to reinstall 10 because of it. It is what it is. Windows XP had a similar issue way back when, though. So it's not like it's just modern Windows.. Hell, not even just Windows.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Somebody actually said that?

Reactions: Supster131

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
For the record if anyone needs to stay behind on an older Win10 build for some reason, there's still Windows 10 2015/2016 LTSB/2019 LTSC.
Intel dropped support for HD Graphics 3000 in the first creators update or the next big update after that so I've had to install 2016 LTSB on my media PC just so I can keep using it for a few more years.
You can actually get 2016 LTSB (and almost any other Windows 10 version except 2019 LTSC and Server) activated legit for free using HWID activation. M$ "forgot" to disable HWID activation after the free upgrade period ended, and they also conveniently "forgot" to make sure it only let you activate Win10 Home and Pro. You don't even need a previously activated (legit or not) version of Win7/Win8 to do it if you run the HWID activation tool directly. The tools and instructions are in a certain GitHub repo that I'm not gonna link here for obvious reasons.

ROFL, this guy. Try a fresh install of Windows XP, and I guarantee you that somebody will have complete remote control of your PC before you can finish installing any of the service packs.

And I haven't had a single one of the issues in those clickbait articles, sorry to burst your bubble. Maybe it's only because I'm running on Win10 Pro, who knows. Either way, I'd gladly take some minor issues with updates that I can fix on my end over an easily-compromised system that can be accessed by the Chinese/Russians/anybody on the internet.
To be fair that would require you to do something like visiting a sketchy or backdoored website or running a sketchy/exploitable program. If you don't have ports forwarded people can't just automagically hack into your XP box without you doing something that lets them get enough access to actually exploit bugs. Even if they have a universal key to the back door they still have to get past the fence. That is unless you connect to an insecure wifi or a public wifi, that is basically inviting them in.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do you have the mini radiator cooler? I Jerry rigged a heatsink and 5volt fan from a dead graphics card on mine, but eventually wanna get a real cooler/fan.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pure copper heat sink kit and fans
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know bout sets, I downloaded all the roms for mine separately.
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"