Windows 10

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use snap. There are no mandatory reboots... I haven't experienced any of these problems.... and I've been using 8 since the beta. The wireless display issue was fixed a while ago.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience which seems like it was way early on.. but, again.. Those issues? I haven't experienced recently. Snap is a feature I use daily. Task menu? Task manager? What are you talking about here?

Also, the misconception that 8 belongs on a touch screen bothers me. There's nothing wrong with using a KB/M. I've personally found it much easier to maneuver and access what you're looking for on it. My job has 7 on the computers and honestly? I despise it. It feels sluggish.
the mandatory reboots don't come up often but they are there, i only had them like twice on 8.1
and no they never fixed wireless display it is still plagued with problem , it depends on the system too
on my high end i7 it won't work hardly ever but when it was in the shop i bought a 200$ POS laptop to use in the mean time and it worked flawless the 1st try ,on my 1800$ ultrabook it NEVER works , nobody can fix it i had all kinds of tech support including intel connect remotely and still nobody can get it to work , go read the forums there are tons of complaints
snap is crap it just gets in the way , whenever you try and just move a window it snaps when you don't want it too
the windows are too small snapped and you have to keep scrolling vertically and horizontally , it's just more trouble than it's worth i hardly ever use it only if i am watching different live streams and i have a chat or img board open in the other window, something where i don't have to scroll all over the place , having to scroll side to side makes it nearly worthless ,id rather just resize windows manually than have to keep turning it off and on all the time because it gets in the way more than i use it, snapping when just trying to move a window
the task menu was a feature of win10 they showed in the preview, seems redundant thats what the taskbar is for

also wireless display worked flawless on win7 i never had a problem i had the 1st gen WiDi and it was flawless, never a problem , that was in 2010, 5 years later and 5 generations later and it's all fucked up now
this happened when they merged it with the miracrap standard , they should have kept them separate

good thing i like about 8/ 8.1 over 7 is lightning fast boot up time and overall improved stability

Last edited by weatMod,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

the mandatory reboots don't come up often but they are there, i only had them like twice on 8.1
no they never fixed wireless display it is still plagued with problem , it depends on the system too
my high end i7 it won't work hardly ever but when it was in the shop i bought a 200$ POS laptop to use in the mean time and it worked flawless the 1st try ,on my 1800$ ultrabook it NEVER works , nobody can fix it i had all kinds of tech support including intel connect remotely and still nobody can get it to work , go read the forums there are tons of complaints
snap is crap it just gets int he way , whenever you try and just move a window it snaps when you don't want it too
the windows are too small snaped and you have to keep scrolling vertically and horizontally , it just more trouble than it's worth i hardly ever use it only if i am watching different live streams and have a chat or img board open in the other window, something where i don't have to scroll all over the place , having to scroll side to side makes it nearly worthless ,id rath just resize windows manually than have to keep turning it off an off and on all the time because it gets int he way more than i use it, snaping when just trying to move a window
the task amnager was a feature of win10 they showed in the preview, seems redundant thats what the taskbar is for

I don't think I've ever really had mandatory reboots on 8/8.1 with Windows Update turned off, but that's just me.
We've had tons of internet issues with our Windows 8/8.1 computers, it may just be the hardware in them (I mean, I have an Acer. They're pretty shitty, so it could be hardware issues.) Although, it did also happen with my Ma's laptop (which I think is Toshiba) so, yeah, it could be the OS itself.
Snap is annoying when you're trying to move a window, but depending on the program and what a person wishes to use it for, snap can be useful.
Task manager? I'm pretty sure virtually every version of windows (except for DOS, but that's not even really 'Windows') had it, if I know what you're talking about.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I've ever really had mandatory reboots on 8/8.1 with Windows Update turned off, but that's just me.
We've had tons of internet issues with our Windows 8/8.1 computers, it may just be the hardware in them (I mean, I have an Acer. They're pretty shitty, so it could be hardware issues.) Although, it did also happen with my Ma's laptop (which I think is Toshiba) so, yeah, it could be the OS itself.
Snap is annoying when you're trying to move a window, but depending on the program and what a person wishes to use it for, snap can be useful.
Task manager? I'm pretty sure virtually every version of windows (except for DOS, but that's not even really 'Windows') had it, if I know what you're talking about.
oops no i meant the new task menu feature they show in the win 10 preview video
it looks like a redundancy for the task bar ,i edited my post
not task manage sorry
but while im on the subject the task manager has gotten increasingly more complicated with every version
i have no clue what half of those processes and services even go to or what they do i hope they add some better description and maybe a color coded
quick indicator , like a column where it shows either a red light green light or yellow light next to each one
like essential processes that if you close will freeze the OS or thing you should never close would be marked red, etc.

D

Deleted User

oops no i meant the new task menu feature they show in the win 10 preview video
it looks like a redundancy for the task bar ,i edited my post
not task manage sorry
but while im on the subject the task manager has gotten increasingly more complicated with every version
i have no clue what half of those processes and services even go to or what they do i hope they add some better description and maybe a color coded
quick indicator , like a column where it shows either a red light green light or yellow light next to each one
like essential processes that if you close will freeze the OS or thing you should never close would be marked red, etc.
Oh, sorry about that.
I think the colour-coded tasks thing sounds like a pretty good idea, but it could possibly be hard to implement.
Normally, you can find a description of what certain tasks or services do by just using Google or Bing or whatever search engine you use, but I guess it'd be more convenient to have descriptions. The way I treat most tasks that are listed as system tasks is just "DON'T TOUCH" unless I know what it is, and that it'd be safe to close, like the task for the Xbox controller driver is one I know is safe to close, as long as I'm not playing a game with an Xbox controller. (or in my case, a PS3 controller running through some other program.)
Colour-coded tasks could also be good for people who don't really know that much about computers and how they work, and are just trying to close off tasks so their computer works faster.

Reactions: weatMod
D

Deleted User

The cancerous get Windows 10 app finally appeared on my Windows 7 machine, but after reading a bit on the Microsoft discussions, it sounds like after the first year if you need to reinstall windows 10 you need to buy a new license. So imma gonna stick with 7 for now, if in the future I can grab a 10 key and installer media instead of just a upgrade then I might consider it, but upgrading a Windows 7 system is just asking for trouble.

ClWs5V7.png
No, they confirmed you wouldn't need to buy a new license if you got the free offer.

Reactions: Margen67

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I believe there was someone who pointed this out earlier on, but you can actually go to the Microsoft support website and request your Win10 upgrade there.
Could you give me a link? I cannot figure where I can request my reservation xD
Still not popup, and whatever I tried, the gwx.exe refuses to launch.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you give me a link? I cannot figure where I can request my reservation xD
Still not popup, and whatever I tried, the gwx.exe refuses to launch.
Have you updated EVERYTHING? I couldn't get it to launch, and I went to Windows Update and installed all the stupid optional updates and it showed up.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Have you updated EVERYTHING? I couldn't get it to launch, and I went to Windows Update and installed all the stupid optional updates and it showed up.
But I don't need all the 37 languages pack :(

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
GOD DAMNIT YOU WILL SPEAK TO CORTANA IN BULGARIAN AND YOU WILL LIKE IT.
Actually, there is 3 optionnal updates I did had yesterday, I will install and reboot.

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, they confirmed you wouldn't need to buy a new license if you got the free offer.
Yeah for the first year, but as you only get a upgrade and no installer media I hesitate to say that you can reinstall it if you have problems, which alot of other people also have stated on the microsoft forums. And you will have problems from an upgrade of 7 or 8.1. There are just too many variables for there not to be.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Yeah for the first year, but as you only get a upgrade and no installer media I hesitate to say that you can reinstall it if you have problems, which alot of other people also have stated on the microsoft forums. And you will have problems from an upgrade of 7 or 8.1. There are just too many variables for there not to be.
I'm willing to bet Microsoft Product Recovery will extend to Windows 10. As long as you have a valid product key (which should include the key for the upgrade), you'll be able to download your own installation media. With the added benefit of being able to stick it on USB instead of those old outdated optical media options.

D

Deleted User

You can get an ISO

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
make a system image immediately after doing the upgrade, problem solved, you can reimage to that point whenever you need a reinstall for any reason :-P ;-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT