Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
people like to complain about new things because new things are new. but win 11 is super clean looking 😍 and, dare i say, one of the most functionally sound versions of windows in a long time (at the time of writing this lol)
People wouldn't be complaining if they allowed us to actually have full control over the install without relying on third party software. All the while hoping that removing something as trivial as Cortana won't break our install down the line.

That said? Windows 11 is as smooth as it gets. Aside from the initial shortcomings with AMD systems, that is.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
People wouldn't be complaining if they allowed us to actually have full control over the install without relying on third party software. All the while hoping that removing something as trivial as Cortana won't break our install down the line.

That said? Windows 11 is as smooth as it gets. Aside from the initial shortcomings with AMD systems, that is.
Shortcoming were fixed on AMD. And in some instances for some games windows 11 performed better then 10.

Reactions: Kioku

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Exactly. Which is great and makes me feel better about being a day 1 adopter.
I wonder if it was intentional.

The new Intel cpu had charts comparing big performance gains over ryzen 5000. And when you look at test systems they used it was windows 11 when it had the amd bugs.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after bypassing the TPM requirement, its a NAY for me (at least at this point), i have several bugs that are already reproted on several forums.

Starting from the annoying delay on explorer.exe :(

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
......right now this is what i think ..... DO NOT USE WIN 11 UNTIL THEY STOPPED SUPPORTING WIN10 ....

iv been using it since the pre-release , minor problems here and there , nothing that big of a deal , until last night .

6pm ; everything run fine , iv been gaming all day and watching stuff , i leave to see a friend .

2am ; come back home , open my TVs , see an update need restart to complete , ok do that i have nothing else to do . update goes .

2.15am ; BSOD . cant repair restart , cant undo update , cant reset windows , cant do any of the options ...

2.30am ; win11 usb stick done for repair , or reisntall of win11 .

2.40am ; tried , tried a lot , cant repair , cant reset , cannot reinstall windows 11 : I DO NOT MEET THE REQUIRMENT *.

* hmmmmm say that again , iv been having them since win11 is available ... secure boot & tpm are on in the bios , i even recheck .

*loose track of time *

now i play in the bios , turn on off , reset load default etc , no change .

im stuck there . update my bios , same thing .

f it , install win10 ,everything is normal but i still dont meet requirment for 11 , says i dont have tpm and secure boot ,

go back to bios , a ok they are back to default off , so turn tpm on , no problem , try to turn secure boot , cant need to turn off CSM , so i turn off CSM , need to reboot . now it just boot directly to the bios on my second screen , and cant boot to windows anymore , i dont have 2 option for drive but can choose between my 2 drive to boot of , none can . i can turn secure boot on . sttill cant go to windows.

load bios default , try again many thing for idk how much time . nop , cant get this to work .

so now back to win10 and i am not touching 11 until this shit is fix.

Psycho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

as a developer, i feel like that's such a minor thing to complain about. there are many things that take precedence over the things people wanted to change about win11, the location of the start menu being the biggest gripe i've heard.

cortana is a feature of windows and is integrated into many things, so i wouldnt say its exactly trivial. probs why they allow you to keep it disabled instead of removing it. it's not going to kill you to keep it installed. i think the rewards of having an OS preconfigured for you, even with bloatware like cortana, outweighs the pain of trying to set up, for example, archlinux, if you've never done it before. which is good enough for most people :>

i agree though that the AMD thing was a problem. chances are that they simply didn't do enough testing on AMD processors to find the fix before shipping

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
as a developer, i feel like that's such a minor thing to complain about. there are many things that take precedence over the things people wanted to change about win11, the location of the start menu being the biggest gripe i've heard.

cortana is a feature of windows and is integrated into many things, so i wouldnt say its exactly trivial. probs why they allow you to keep it disabled instead of removing it. it's not going to kill you to keep it installed. i think the rewards of having an OS preconfigured for you, even with bloatware like cortana, outweighs the pain of trying to set up, for example, archlinux, if you've never done it before. which is good enough for most people :>

i agree though that the AMD thing was a problem. chances are that they simply didn't do enough testing on AMD processors to find the fix before shipping

The AMD bug has been known for months on pre release builds and people complained and Microsoft did nothing to fix it on release day.

• Wow
Reactions: Psycho

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Cortana is about as trivial as it gets. Any virtual assistant, really. They're not necessary for the core OS to function. Or at least, they shouldn't be. I guess forcing it as a dependency for certain apps (be it system or otherwise) says otherwise.

It's also funny you bring up Arch. In most cases, no matter the flavor you choose, you are allowed to delete or uninstall pretty much what you want in a Linux OS. Even if it breaks the system.

For most users? Yeah, a pre-configured OS is fine. Hell, for me, it's fine. Doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to uninstall apps or resources that I feel I don't need. Not without the use of a third party application.

Granted, this is all subjective and obviously it will vary person to person..

Psycho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol no worries! either way they made a mistake not fixing that before shipping, whether it was a bug they refused to fix or a bug that made it to "stable" due to lack of testing

Cortana is about as trivial as it gets. Any virtual assistant, really. They're not necessary for the core OS to function. Or at least, they shouldn't be. I guess forcing it as a dependency for certain apps (be it system or otherwise) says otherwise.

It's also funny you bring up Arch. In most cases, no matter the flavor you choose, you are allowed to delete or uninstall pretty much what you want in a Linux OS. Even if it breaks the system.

For most users? Yeah, a pre-configured OS is fine. Hell, for me, it's fine. Doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to uninstall apps or resources that I feel I don't need. Not without the use of a third party application.

Granted, this is all subjective and obviously it will vary person to person..

i completely understand what you're saying, but i was referring to the fact that it may not be trivial to decouple it from other services and apps. it would be a lot of work...if it was as integrated as i thought.

but i was wrong! looking at the cortana app on windows 11 rn, it shows that the app itself takes up no storage:

1635884417031.png

it's more like a shortcut as it is now, the 176kb being the data it needs to install itself if needed, or so i'm guessing. kinda like those start menu apps and games that came with later versions of win 10, which were basically links to download the actual app. you cant remove the cortana "shortcut" but you don't really have to. the app is disabled by default and is actually decoupled from a lot of the apps and services it was integrated into previously. so it looks like MS is finally giving up on cortana lol, it's just not quite phased out yet

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 11 is nice. It’s clean. I really like it. Just the only problem is is when I shut down the computer. The first click of “Shutdown” yields a slight flicker of the Start Menu. Then when I click “Shutdown” again, it actually works. I shut off my computer often so my kids don’t get on there. I know there is more than one way to do everything, so I’ll probably reassign the power button to shutdown the laptop. Maybe that will work better for me.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today I used a buddy's notebook with Windows 11 to install a bunch of programs and make several changes to it (try to make it more like Windows 10) and while it's a "fine" operating system, I'd never make it the OS for I to use daily. When installing a program it *always* showed up this f#cking pop up and it always wanted me to press the blue button, even when it was essential (i.e., to turn on the anti-virus).

dUKVzhb.jpg
App?? It's a program!

Moving the Start Menu wasn't easy by itself, I had to look it up on the web and then I had it switched to the left. Now, the time, for some reason it's stuck to the far right rather than center so annoying as that it, it stayed on the far right (eh, it's "fine").

I don't understand why Microsoft made a dumbed-down version of Windows 10 with stupid features that just get in the way of using Windows like we've always known it as. Like, why do we need to press "Show more options" to get the options we always had!?

The WiFi, I had to go to Settings to connect to a WiFi network when on Windows 10 I'd just click the icon on the taskbar, click on the network, type the password, and connect! Why complicate things!

Sorry about this rant. Screw Windows 11. Microsoft better not f#ck up Windows 12, too.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nay.
I'm so glad my notebook doesn't has the bare minimum to get Windows11.
Sister has a laptop powerful enough to accept Win11... and she's like...

"Why!? Stop bringing BING to search for local files!"

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nay.
I'm so glad my notebook doesn't has the bare minimum to get Windows11.
Sister has a laptop powerful enough to accept Win11... and she's like...

"Why!? Stop bringing BING to search for local files!"
Well, you could just use Rufus to bypass that requirement, but why would you downgrade to Windows 11...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: