Homebrew [WIP] Halo Solitude & Halo Revamped 3DS Port

TCPixel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been working on the HUD for the past week or so, its been tedious but the HUD has been ported over to the 3DS. I re-wrote alot of code to make it easier to work with going forward, and have also started working on the menu. Heres a video showing the HUD off and various progress

NuikopeaDemon

Hello Darkness
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I've been working on the HUD for the past week or so, its been tedious but the HUD has been ported over to the 3DS. I re-wrote alot of code to make it easier to work with going forward, and have also started working on the menu. Heres a video showing the HUD off and various progress

Hell man your going crazy with this and far out I'm not disappointed with the results as this looks awesome and even though you haven't released this out yet I can see you have put a lot of time and effort in this :)

thunderjackl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The good old days of endless hours of halo with my friends are coming back :yaynds::grog::grog::grog::grog::grog::bow:

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did @MasterFeizz outline a reason to why texture transparency wasn't feasible? Or is it a matter of not being worth the effort? I'm not familiar with the engine myself, I just see no reason why it couldn't be done. Worst case scenario afaik would be slower load times as they're modified by software.

TCPixel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did @MasterFeizz outline a reason to why texture transparency wasn't feasible? Or is it a matter of not being worth the effort? I'm not familiar with the engine myself, I just see no reason why it couldn't be done. Worst case scenario afaik would be slower load times as they're modified by software.
MasterFeizz is working on full hardware rendering support. I am unfamiliar with coding to the hardware of the 3DS, something masterfeizz seems to be great at so once he codes the hardware rendering, I can go through, see how things are handled, and build different features like pcx texture loading and hlbsp map loading.

MasterFeizz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never said texture transparency wasn't feasible, it's not that hard to implement just need to pick a color from the palette to use as transparency and change some functions.

Reactions: TCPixel

Naievil

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.naievil.tk
XP
Country
United States
Never said texture transparency wasn't feasible, it's not that hard to implement just need to pick a color from the palette to use as transparency and change some functions.

I've haven't been able to get my colors to actually become transparent, even though they display the right color (read in the palette as index 255). I've been able to change my colors from 0 0 255 to 159 91 83 successfully (which if I remember correctly is out[0] = out[1] = out[2] = out[3] = 0, but somewhere in the engine lies the code to recognize that 159 91 83 is the transparent color. I have yet to find that function.

U7qSDXN.png

So a color swap is definitely possible, but I'm not exactly sure where to begin on recognizing that it's transparent. If you have any ideas I would appreciate it.

Either that or my wad3 code is broken.

Reactions: TCPixel

TCPixel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've haven't been able to get my colors to actually become transparent, even though they display the right color (read in the palette as index 255). I've been able to change my colors from 0 0 255 to 159 91 83 successfully (which if I remember correctly is out[0] = out[1] = out[2] = out[3] = 0, but somewhere in the engine lies the code to recognize that 159 91 83 is the transparent color. I have yet to find that function.

U7qSDXN.png

So a color swap is definitely possible, but I'm not exactly sure where to begin on recognizing that it's transparent. If you have any ideas I would appreciate it.

Either that or my wad3 code is broken.
I'm also looking for this code to make textures and models to remove that color. Im sure I can find it in the psp kurok engine files as the psp removed that salmonish color in both models and map textures. I want blending modes for sprites which looking at the psp kurok files for that, it looks like its done utilizing psp hardware functions. I'd try to port this over to 3ds but I am very unfamiliar with that kind of code work. I am more about studying, modifying, and learning. I learned how to code the HUD by looking at the way the original quake HUD was done, and using that as a basis to write my own code. Alot of the code I wrote for the HUD was all from scratch, I just learned how images were drawn and placed, and put together the rest. That was a product of the code I've learned through the years. I guess the biggest problem is I wouldn't even know where to start coding hardware rendering and what the whole process is.

Reactions: Naievil

Naievil

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.naievil.tk
XP
Country
United States
I'm also looking for this code to make textures and models to remove that color. Im sure I can find it in the psp kurok engine files as the psp removed that salmonish color in both models and map textures. I want blending modes for sprites which looking at the psp kurok files for that, it looks like its done utilizing psp hardware functions. I'd try to port this over to 3ds but I am very unfamiliar with that kind of code work. I am more about studying, modifying, and learning. I learned how to code the HUD by looking at the way the original quake HUD was done, and using that as a basis to write my own code. Alot of the code I wrote for the HUD was all from scratch, I just learned how images were drawn and placed, and put together the rest. That was a product of the code I've learned through the years. I guess the biggest problem is I wouldn't even know where to start coding hardware rendering and what the whole process is.

I completely understand. I guess that we were lucky to have hardware rendering pre-established in the kurok/dquake engines in the PSP days.

My advice to you to fix the muzzleflashes (I think they aren't transparent) is to modify the sprites in an editor by hand to see if that works. I haven't tried it myself but changing colors isn't working too well for me. As for transparency within the map itself, I cannot think of a solution outside of modifying the engine besides decompiling the map, modifying the texture (which you modify by hand to add transparency), and then recompiling with the regular quake compilers. This, of course would take a lot of time and effort and is generally frowned upon.

NuikopeaDemon

Hello Darkness
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Very useless bump man, you should let him finish his work without having to worry that it's on the front page so everyone will be pestering him nonstop.
You bet me to it Wolfy because this isnt easy work and considering one guy is working on this we give gotta give him as much time as possible because he is probably working his butt off to make this look very good :)

Reactions: ironmaster49

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Kinda sad tho, giving up on this homebrew that could be very big one day...

He hasn't given up on it, he even stated that it's still being worked on slowly and he will get it released eventually. It's just that real life has this annoying tendency to get in the way.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter