Workers in Chinese Apple Factories Forced to Not Kill Selves

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
naved.islam14 said:
My mind is at a fight with its self thinking whether this is good or bad.
I would suggest that it is bad. These "anti-suicide" pledges serve two functions. First, FOXCONN acknowledges that working conditions are intolerable, militaristic, and cruel, but that no significant measures will be taken to improve their lot besides arbitrary wage increases when the mainstream media gets wind of it. This is not to mention the "suicide nets" that have been installed at these factories before this. Second, these pledges will force the families of the deceased to only seek minimum restitution. In effect, these pledges enable FOXCONN to hold their workers responsible for their misery that the company itself created. If possible, don't look at this as a matter of defending the "right" to life or death. It is essentially FOXCONN trying their hardest to stifle worker protest against their conditions to make them liable for how they are treated by management.

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
nobodys putting a gun to thier head, if they dont like their job they can quit,
AND illegal overtime doesnt mean not paid overtime, it means more overtime hours than what is limited by law. not familliar with chinas overtime laws tho.

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uh, Foxconn make, like, everything. Not just apple stuff, although that may be the most well-known company... and Apple, Foxconn, or any other company involved really do not care. They just want their money.

terminal_illness said:

If they quit, their family lose their primary source of income. The country is already overpopulated enough, and I guess every job has 100 guys going for it. It's not that easy
frown.gif

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
terminal_illness said:
AND illegal overtime doesnt mean not paid overtime, it means more overtime hours than what is limited by law. not familliar with chinas overtime laws tho.
In China the situation is not that easy like other countries. Being so many people, if they quit, the chances of founding another job a pretty close to 0, so don't go saying "just quit"

And, who wrote this, a capitalist?
QUOTEWhile this could be interpreted as a step in the right direction, the fact that workers feel the need to commit suicide in such numbers as to cause a problem to the company in the first place is the big issue.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The awesome thing about globalization is that we all join countries like China and India in a race to the bottom.

Why is the middle class disappearing in America? Why is union-busting becoming so common?

How else can the US remain competitive? At least that's the idea. I bet China and India can outdo anyone in the horrible, exploitative working conditions department, though, and I bet Chinese workers can outdo anyone in the silently tolerating it department.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know Foxconn is the company that is in charge of the factory but doesn't Apple have a saying this? I'm not saying its Apple's fault; mostly Foxconn's but Apple could do something.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thesolcity said:
doyama said:
2) Foxconn is one of THE BEST employers in China for unskilled labor. It is the kind of job people are lining up for. They actually charge the LEGAL wage required and pay overtime.

OBJECTION!

QUOTEIn October, 2010, a report by 20 Chinese universities described Foxconn factories as labour camps and detailed widespread worker abuse and illegal overtime.

Illegal, meaning NOT PAID.

Umm... no.

Illegal overtime means that the time a given employee spent working during one week exceeds the maximum ammount of hours he can work according to the law.

In China, a person can work a maximum of 36 hours weekly plus one hour of overtime each day, which comes down to a maximum of 184 monthly.

Additionally to this standard, if extension of working hours is needed due to special reasons an employer may extend working hours for no more than 3 hours a day and no more than 36 hours a month.

Foxconn is paying those people for their overtime and is helping them get out of poverty, so instead of pointing at them and saying they're meanies, go on ahead and point at the companies who do the exact same thing to their workers, only in exchange for a bowl of rice.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Thus is one of the many reasons why I do not like apple products. THEY ARE THE MACHINES THEY WANT TO ENSLAVES US ALL!

No really though, that's just outrageous. Now I am starting to understand why Japan was formed. China is full of jerks!

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Foxconn is paying those people for their overtime and is helping them get out of poverty, so instead of pointing at them and saying they're meanies, go on ahead and point at the companies who do the exact same thing to their workers, only in exchange for a bowl of rice.
It's true that the overtime is paid. But the overtime is also mandatory, despite FOXCONN's claims to the contrary. If the workers decide not to take part in the overtime, they will be chided for "work stoppage." The amount of overtime that they work is illegal, or approaches illegal levels. It's remarkably clear in this document: http://sacom.hk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05...l-promises1.pdf
QUOTE3. Working hours
Article 41 of the Labour Law in China stipulates that overtime should not exceed 3 hours per day and 36 hours per month. The Electronics Industry Citizenship Coalition (EICC) and Apple also have codes to regulate the working hours at electronics suppliers. Apple manifests that all the overtime work should be voluntary and the working hour should be comply with local labour laws. “Under no circumstances shall workweeks exceed the
maximum permitted under applicable laws and regulations.” Similarly, the EICC states in its code that workweeks should not to exceed the maximum set by local law. In reality, except in low season, the production facilities in Shenzhen, Chengdu and Chongqing violated the 36 hours overtime work limit provided by law. In addition, some workers also reveal that overtime work is not entirely voluntary.
-Excessive and forced overtime-
In Chengdu, workers usually have 80-100 hours overtime work on the top of 174 regular hours per month.11 This is almost 2-3 times more than the legal limit. In Shenzhen, workers reveal overtime work decreases directly related to the pay rise. Workers usually have 50-80 hours overtime a month. The number of overtime hours is subjected to the production plan of the departments. Workers can only follow the instruction of the supervisor. In Chongqing, workers usually have 2 hours overtime work per day. During SACOM investigation, it is the low season of Chongqing plant. As such, workers do not have much overtime work.
Most of the workers yearn for more overtime work because the basic salary is not enough for a living. Not many workers have experience to decline overtime work. During low season, a request for an un-overtime shift will be easily approved by supervisors. In contrast, if there is influx of order, workers must stay for overtime shift. Penalty may be imposed if workers decline overtime shift. Chen Linfeng, a student worker who studied computer said he was exhausted from 10-hour shift a day. He grumbled that if he requests to leave the shop floor after the regular shift, he will not be assigned any overtime for a month. “If there is no overtime at all, I will only receive the basic salary. Hence, I have no choice,” he added. Many interviewees in Chengdu tell the same. Some workers also feel it is unfair that if they do not stay in overtime shift, the production line leader will accuse them have a work stoppage. As a result, most of the workers do not dare to demand to rest after regular shift.
Some workers also feel it is unfair that if they do not stay in overtime shift, the production line leader will accuse them have a work stoppage. As a result, most of the workers do not dare to demand to rest after regular shift.
The fact that FOXCONN pays in wages rather than bowls of rice does not excuse their conduct toward their workers. I believe there are also some errors in your conception of Chinese labor law. For example, the maximum is 36 hours monthly, not weekly. Oh well, it's all here, anyway: http://www.usmra.com/china/Labour%20Law.htm

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you think Foxconn is doing this to protect the workers or it's profits?
profits, obviously.

Do you think Apple is aware of this requirement to employees?
of course they are, why would we know if they don't?

Do you think Apple will attempt to improve the conditions?
of course not, when have any of these big corporations who have so little scruples as to outsource all of their work to the cheapest companies possible in the first place?

datroubler

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is capitalism and we all know that capitalism kills. Nothing new. Look at the tantalum mines, this material is also needed for this devices (mobile phones). Tantalum can be found in the democratic republic of kongo and german companies like bayer buy it from the "rebels" and they buy weapons for this money to surpress people.
The only thing we can do is to smash this barbarien system.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Foxconn is at fault, not apple...Foxconn produces items for several hundred other companies which include Intel, Nintendo, Sony, Dell, and Nokia. If you're going to boycott Apple you should boycott all of the other comapnies that have their products made by Foxconn as well because to only boycott Apple is pure stupidity.

Yes, the workers do get paid overtime but they're are forced to work it if they want to keep their jobs! Also they wouldn't need to work so many hours if they were getting paid a decent wage. I seriously think people need to boycott any company who condone such practices while they sit back in their corporate offices with their pockets lined with money! Take half of what the big wigs are making and they'll still have tons of money to throw around! They need to sort their priorities and realize that without their "Unskilled Workers" they have nothing.

I'm glad to say that I almost never buy anything new, I always get my tech 2nd hand because it's not only cheaper for me but also saves 1 more product from coming of the shelf, therefore is 1 more product that doesn't have to be made in the factory.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The same people moaning about this would probably complain when their apple product goes up by £50. I'm afraid that's life if we want things for cheaper we need to accept people get treated like a slave when making it. You could say apple products are overpriced but if they where more expensive to make I guarantee you it would be the customer that gets hit with the bill.

Treating their workers better = more cost.

It's shitty but if you want it to change expect higher prices.

I don't condone what they are doing btw.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember reading that the Apple employees were prone to suicide, but making them sign a contract?

Signing a deal with the devil has never been so literal.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to also remember that most people WANT to work overtime. Mostly because they are paid the legal minimum wage (which is the exception since most other places don't even bother to pay you that), and with high costs to live in the large cities where such factories are located, most need to work overtime in order to pay rent/food/etc and send money back to relatives. Again the fact they even get overtime pay is the exception and thus makes Foxconn one of the more desireable places to work.

You can contrast that with say being a coal miner, where you are given no safety equipment and your remains are uncermoniously concealed during the ever frequent mine collapses and no compensation paid to your family. Or working for one of the e-waste companies, where children and families use mercury/arsenic to melt off gold/silver/palladium/copper off of electronic circuits, then dump the toxic waste that's left over which poisons their drinking water.

I'm not saying there aren't improvements to be made at Foxconn. But to single them out is really missing the forest for the trees. There are much WORSE human rights, employee abuses going on that would be better served. The safety of coal miners would save THOUSANDS of lives a year if proper safety measures were implemented and enforced. Compare that with the maybe 10-15 suicides that are being contained per year at Foxconn.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: hmmm, i got no clue, i need to re-check their step by step guide